New Particle Shader from David O'Reilly

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

11 November 2012
Originally Posted by LucentDreams: Considering The man making the plugin also wrote the hair renderer I'm sure he could make a line/point renderer that'd compare or or nowadays improve upon

hehe...I was not aware of this.
www.c4dStuff.com

HB_ModellingBundle

11 November 2012
Originally Posted by HolgerBiebrach: Would it be possible to somehow support Hair-render as that is the most powerfull Particlerender engine we have.

The latest update (0.60a) can now use the hair renderer to do fully shaded particles, no geometry needed. The previous update (0.56a) is also now available for all to play with. Examples and info on my site. Thanks.

A question that sometimes drives me hazy, am I or are the others crazy?

11 November 2012
Originally Posted by obeardy: The latest update (0.60a) can now use the hair renderer to do fully shaded particles, no geometry needed. The previous update (0.56a) is also now available for all to play with. Examples and info on my site. Thanks.

Wow, awesome David. Thank you.

edit: 0.60a is not jet available, right?
www.c4dStuff.com

HB_ModellingBundle

Last edited by HolgerBiebrach : 11 November 2012 at 12:42 PM.

11 November 2012
Originally Posted by HolgerBiebrach: Wow, awesome David. Thank you.

edit: 0.60a is not jet available, right?

Yes it is available in the customers area, you should have had an email when you paid with a link. If you have any problems just drop us an email or use our contact page.

11 November 2012
Originally Posted by obeardy: Yes it is available in the customers area, you should have had an email when you paid with a link. If you have any problems just drop us an email or use our contact page.

Ah..ok. Thanks. Got it now...Time to play.
www.c4dStuff.com

HB_ModellingBundle

11 November 2012
Originally Posted by HolgerBiebrach: Ah..ok. Thanks. Got it now...Time to play.

There are two example scenes in the pShade area of our Plugins page, if you have any problems just contact our support email. Thanks.

11 November 2012
Hi,

I just bought pShade and i don't know if my brain is still sleeping, but i don't get it. There is a pShade object, a tag, a shader and a render effect. When i download the examples, there's the object, then a shader on the object with the shader in the channels....i don't understand what i need to make it work.

So what do i need if i want to do the following:

I have a textured object. I create Thinking Particles with a matterwaves emitter on the surface. Now i want to render those particles with hair and they should have the color of the surface where they were born.

Sounds like an easy task, but i don't get it. Can you guys help me with this? Thanks!

Simon

11 November 2012
Originally Posted by teleliq: Hi,

I just bought pShade and i don't know if my brain is still sleeping, but i don't get it. There is a pShade object, a tag, a shader and a render effect. When i download the examples, there's the object, then a shader on the object with the shader in the channels....i don't understand what i need to make it work.

So what do i need if i want to do the following:

I have a textured object. I create Thinking Particles with a matterwaves emitter on the surface. Now i want to render those particles with hair and they should have the color of the surface where they were born.

Sounds like an easy task, but i don't get it. Can you guys help me with this? Thanks!

Simon

That is just what the _tp_surface_hair example does.

The pShade object is the connection to the hair render, the hair API only works with objects and by using an object it gives the advantage that you can just apply a standard material to it and treat the particle rendering like a real object.

In the pShade object, set the link to your particles (a standard emitter or tp group). Once that is done they should just render. Once you've added a pShade object it will auto add the Hair post for you (if not already available). You can now render using any material applied to the pShade object.

Next, if you want to go further you need to add the pShade shader into a material that you apply to the pShader object. You now just treat this as you would for using pShade on geometry particles.

Using the pShade shader for surface sampling needs to combine with the pShade tag so that it knows about the birth object (since particles do not have this data, pShade has to work it out).

So take the example scene, you've got a pShade object (to make hair render the particles with materials, normally hair can't do this). You've got a pShade tag on the Plane object so pShade can find out about the birth surface.

In the material (Mat.2) that is applied to the pShade object you have the pShade shader in the color channel. This has Surface enabled. On rendering the pShade shader will look for the pShade tag and now any particles born close to the surface with the pShade tag will sample the surface and carry the color.

Compare the example scenes of the _tp_surface and _tp_surface_hair and the only difference is that the _hair one doesn't use any geometry for the particles, it just has the pShade object which is textured as if a real object.

If you have any problems/questions or need help, just contact our support email and we'll do what we can to assist.

Hope some of that above makes sense and helps.

11 November 2012
Thank you very much for your help. I found the problem... The shader does not work if you hide the textured object when rendering by clicking the little dots in the OM. Seems like the particle can't sample the color, when the object is not rendered. The solution is to use a compositing tag and uncheck "seen by camera".

Thanks for this nice shader!

Cheers
Simon

11 November 2012
Originally Posted by teleliq: Thank you very much for your help. I found the problem... The shader does not work if you hide the textured object when rendering by clicking the little dots in the OM. Seems like the particle can't sample the color, when the object is not rendered. The solution is to use a compositing tag and uncheck "seen by camera".

Thanks for this nice shader!

Cheers
Simon

Yes, if you hide the object with the Visible in Renderer then the object is not transferred to the renderer at all so there is nothing to sample. The "Visible" is a bit misleading in the name, it actually means do not use this object at all at render time.

Glad you found the solution, the compositing tag is only way to hide but still have the object available to be used by other shaders/objects at render time.

11 November 2012
Just made a test with the TP partio-Plugin...Works well with pShader.
www.c4dStuff.com

HB_ModellingBundle

11 November 2012
meant to sent an email last night, I'll try to send one tonight, is it possible to get this to work with render instances?

THis seems to always be a challenge, typically mograph and particles are where render instances becomes most important, but often custom shading of each isn't possible even though a render instance can be colored differently of its original.

11 November 2012
Originally Posted by LucentDreams: meant to sent an email last night, I'll try to send one tonight, is it possible to get this to work with render instances?

THis seems to always be a challenge, typically mograph and particles are where render instances becomes most important, but often custom shading of each isn't possible even though a render instance can be colored differently of its original.

Yes, it should be (but doesn't seem to be). I'll look at why (it was working at some point, I can see the code for it!), maybe an update out sooner than I planned.

Any problems just send them to our bugs or support email address. Thanks.

11 November 2012
hello david,
thank you very much for this awesome " c4d-enhancement"!
my personal "plugin of the year"!

12 December 2012
Originally Posted by Srek: @David: What do you think about adding an option to make the shading dependent on a particle real value data channel? That way you could directly control the material properties on a per particle base without having to do a workaround with manipulating particle properties.

This is now available in the latest version (0.70a), Thinking Particle Data Channels can be added directly into pShade and used just like any other pShade channel. pShade also has two new channels for particle-particle and particle-object distance.

The previous version (0.65a) is now available to everyone to play within (this version has the hair render link via the pShade object).

Thanks.

Thread Closed share thread