Old 11-15-2012, 03:55 PM   #1
Hilt
Reality? Not worth it.

mj
3D/VFX/Post/Sherpa
InfoFrame
Helsinki, Finland

Import FBX model with textures?

Every single time I try to import something to C4D, things go way south. No matter what fileformat, Cinema sure does give me headache. It's been like this at least 9 years.

Now I'm supposed to import FBX model with textures, but nada. Nice but I dont want to render clay here. C4D imports the model and hierarchy properly but the scene only contains one shader instead of tens of them. What gives? Does R13 not import .fbx properly? (I can also get .obj model but as track record of C4D+OBJ is bad at best, I dont feel like giving it a go).

All hints and questions appreciated.

Old 11-15-2012, 04:04 PM   #2
ooo
actually my name is odo

Have you tried Cactus Dan's plugin?

http://www.cactus3d.com/CDFBX.html

odo

Old 11-15-2012, 04:15 PM   #3
Hilt
Reality? Not worth it.

mj
3D/VFX/Post/Sherpa
InfoFrame
Helsinki, Finland

I would if there was a one-try-demo of it. Don't feel like spending a dime on something that a) I need once a decade, b) should definitely be built-in and c) doesn't necessarily work. Add to that, I've no cash left in paypal nor in credit card.

I tried to import the model with demo of Riptide but it was a no-go.

Old 11-15-2012, 04:52 PM   #4
Horganovski
Freelance Animator/Rigger

portfolio
Brian Horgan
Graphite9
Dublin, Ireland

If I remember correctly Cactus Dans plugins will work in a demo version of Cinema so that's a way to test things. In my experience it usually works better than the native one.

Trying the native OBJ importer is a waste of time for this as it has no material support (Riptide Pro does though).

It's a shame really but import/export has always been one of Cinemas weaknesses. Even with Alembic now in R14 there are limitations compared to the Alembic implementation in other apps (no support for n-gons for example).

On the other hand it's good to keep in mind that different apps have different ways of handling materials, so things rarely transfer 100% in my experience and usually need some manual tweaks.

Cheers,
Brian

Last edited by Horganovski : 11-15-2012 at 04:56 PM.

Old 11-15-2012, 06:37 PM   #5
Hilt
Reality? Not worth it.

mj
3D/VFX/Post/Sherpa
InfoFrame
Helsinki, Finland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horganovski
If I remember correctly Cactus Dans plugins will work in a demo version of Cinema so that's a way to test things.

Ah splendid, I wasn't aware of that.
Riptide gave a worse import than native fbx did. If all else fails, I can use the fbx to recreate the material channels, Riptide smashed the hierarchy as well as material tags. Perhaps I'm just a lousy user (the usual reason).

About the native fbx import, what should the textures folder be called? I tried both 'tex' and 'textures' but nada.

EDIT: Oh yea, I downloaded the R14demo as well as the CDFBX, but it wont start no matter what I do. Sent Dan a mail but hopefully he is more busy getting out of hospital than answering emails concerning demo versions.
Here I was thinking this was just a simple A-B-C task to make couple of easy Euros, but how wrong I was. I tossed the file forwards so that people with proper software can do the work before deadline. I bet R15 will show us a toaster simulator and whatnot, while the ancient features are strictly kept from updating. </rant>

Last edited by Hilt : 11-15-2012 at 07:47 PM. Reason: More..

Old 11-15-2012, 07:51 PM   #6
wbj
Lord of the posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilt
Ah splendid, I wasn't aware of that.
Riptide gave a worse import than native fbx did. If all else fails, I can use the fbx to recreate the material channels, Riptide smashed the hierarchy as well as material tags. Perhaps I'm just a lousy user (the usual reason).

About the native fbx import, what should the textures folder be called? I tried both 'tex' and 'textures' but nada.

Be aware that there isn't just one flavour of fbx. The functionality and the scopy of the FBX has changed a lot over the last ten years.

- There have been several big changes (that sometimes came along with compatiblity problems when using older or newer versions of the SDK). Therefore make sure, you're using the same SDK version for export and import.

- There have been FBX SDK versions, where the texture embedding was broken (e.g. one of the first 5.x SDKs), but usually using texture embedding is the best way to transport the textures. The importer in this case takes care of unpacking the textures.

If you don't use texture embedding, the exporter either has to use absolute paths (which isn't handy), or you're in god's hands (the FBX sdks I've seen can't handle relative paths reliable).

Best regards,

wbj

Old 11-15-2012, 07:51 PM   #7
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread