mustardseed
Expert

portfolio
Andrew Phang
Creative Director
Mustard Seed Creative
Singapore, Singapore

Question for Mac OSX C4d users

I understand that Studio comes with Okino Polytrans software that is Windows only. Is this software component a plug-in to C4d, or is it a standalone Windows application. I am asking because as I am on a full Mac workflow, if it is a Windows standalone, I could potentially run it on Parallels under virtualisation, whereas if it were a plug-in to C4d Windows version, I would not be able to use this component of the Studio bundle.

I have been getting quite a few job requests to convert and visualise engineering/CAD models lately, and I am considering whether I should just purchase a copy of PolyTrans standalone, or perhaps upgrade to Studio and get PolyTrans plus all the features that Studio offers.

Thanks for your time!

Old 11-14-2012, 11:17 AM   #2
Srek
Some guy

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Björn Dirk Marl
Technical Design
Maxon Computer GmbH
Friedrichsdorf, Germany

Studio does not come with the Okinio Software itself, but with the connection plugin to it. You still need to purchase the main Okino product, which is a win only application. The plugin makes use of that application to convert files so both, CINEMA 4D with the plugin and Polytrans need to be installed on the same Windows system.

Old 11-14-2012, 11:28 AM   #3
mustardseed
Expert

portfolio
Andrew Phang
Creative Director
Mustard Seed Creative
Singapore, Singapore

Thanks Srek, that clears it up for me then. I thought that the Engineering Bundle had been rolled into Studio. Guess I was wrong.

Thanks again!

Old 07-18-2013, 03:53 PM   #4
LukeLetellier
Work in Progress

portfolio
Luke Letellier
Portland, Maine, USA

I've also been eyeing this toolset, but haven't seen many reviews about it online. I've heard a couple people say that their support can be a beast. Have people here had good/bad results?

Old 07-18-2013, 05:24 PM   #5
rickmorgan
Always Learning!
Rick Morgan
California, USA

I have had very good luck over the years with this workflow. Have the CAD people export a .sat or .iges, go and get the $300 Moi 3D program (they have a Mac verrsion) and in Moi when you go to save the model out as a .obj you will get options on how Moi will create the polygon mesh. It is very simple and Moi is known for generating very clean meshes. Fom there import the .obj into Cinema along with the normals tags and you have a very clean looking model.

Old 07-18-2013, 05:42 PM   #6
mism
PRO
Mark Mathieson
3D Artist
GB

+1 for Moi. I recently looked into getting step files from Catia into C4D. I tried Moi, Modo with its CAD Plugin, Maya as well as IGES into C4D. Maya and C4D were so slow as to be unusable. Modo was okay, fairly slow and an expensive solution. Moi, while somewhat idiosyncratic, was reasonably fast and produced decent* meshes, plus its pretty cheap. There's also a 30 day trial.

*everything I tried produced horrific topology, as to be expected I guess, going from nurbs patches to polys. The exported models (whether from Modo or Moi) rely on normal tags to render nicely. As soon as you edit the mesh things start to look bad quickly.

Old 07-18-2013, 05:50 PM   #7
LukeLetellier
Work in Progress

portfolio
Luke Letellier
Portland, Maine, USA

Thanks for the Moi feedback - I had actually started their free trial about two months ago when I needed to read a particular CAD file; within twenty minutes of starting the trial, I found out I was no longer going to need it, and so I never really made use of the trial. Now I have to decide whether to just buy without trying.

Going back to Okino - how does their topology look? From their website's description, it sounds almost as if you're getting a C4D file complete with nurbs and all. Or is it just a C4D file with several polygonal objects?

Old 07-19-2013, 01:17 AM   #8
travismetcalf
Guy

portfolio
Travis Metcalf
Sparkworks Media
Seattle, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeLetellier
Going back to Okino - how does their topology look? From their website's description, it sounds almost as if you're getting a C4D file complete with nurbs and all. Or is it just a C4D file with several polygonal objects?

Ive used the Okino converters a few times with C4D in Windows. They work fairly well. You do end up with a tessellated mesh, which can have problems depending on the original CAD file. I haven't dug deep into the Okino bridge to figure out how to adjust the level of detail when it converts to a mesh - i hardly touch PolyTrans any more. Once 3DS MAX gained the ability to work with SAT files, i haven't needed it.

The workflow i currently use is to open the SAT file in 3DS Max on windows, and then i can fine tune the tessellation and export as your favorite file type (alembic, FBX, OBJ, etc)

for a Mac only workflow id +1 MOI. Ive modeled some products with it and exported to OBJ for rendering with C4D and the results were very good. MOI gives you good control over the tessellation when you export to OBJ and lets you preview the tessellation as well.

Old 07-19-2013, 02:05 AM   #9
Shane W
PRO

Shane Wiersma
oddlyeven
USA

I purchased Polytrans years ago and was never happy with the results I got. I have tried many different solutions and MOI has been the best.

Old 07-19-2013, 03:56 AM   #10
fluffouille
Booh

Sébastien Florand
Fluffy4D
Durham, USA

Another vote for MoI. It's a great little app that makes good OBJ conversions.
If you know you are going to edit the mesh in C4D afterward, you can drop the tesselation values down and get a cleaner base mesh to smooth out later on. Not many edges left over to clean up when modifying it in C4D.

Old 07-19-2013, 06:57 AM   #11
leed
Know-it-All

Lee David
buzzbox
cardiff, United Kingdom

cad import option

not sure if you have looked at form z or Bonzai..
http://www.bonzai3d.com/

form Z has always had good import export options.

Lee

Old 07-19-2013, 04:06 PM   #12
LukeLetellier
Work in Progress

portfolio
Luke Letellier
Portland, Maine, USA

Thank you everyone for all the feedback in regards to Moi - it's quite helpful.

I downloaded the demo onto the Windows side of my system (I had briefly tried the OSX demo a while ago for a separate project), and quickly discovered the 32-bit memory limit, which is keeping me from processing the ~2000 part assembly from the client.

I looked into FormZ, which is also only 32bit on OSX (a 64 bit version on Windows), but the $1000 price tag is a bit too much to pay just to translate files.

The difficult thing is that I need to animate individual components of the unit, so I'd like to be able to start with all of the individual components & merge them together as needed, rather than a receiving a single mesh in an STL that I then have to tear apart for texturing and animation.

Old 07-19-2013, 06:07 PM   #13
leed
Know-it-All

Lee David
buzzbox
cardiff, United Kingdom

Bonzai is £350 ish I think.. I think it has all the import export function of Z.

But £196 for Moi..

Old 07-20-2013, 03:48 PM   #14
sneather
Expert
Name
SoCal, USA

Holy cow. I have to give a BIG recommendation for MOI. It's a fantastic little program, and just as important, Michael (the developer of the program) is extremely active on the help forum. In fact, I'm not even sure that he sleeps, because he's always answered my dumb questions within minutes of my posting them.

But MOI is a great conduit from CAD to C4D. The best option, is to get a STEP file from your client. That works best in MOI.

Old 07-20-2013, 04:13 PM   #15
mustardseed
Expert

portfolio
Andrew Phang
Creative Director
Mustard Seed Creative
Singapore, Singapore

My current workflow on OSX with .stp files is to open in ViaCad, export as .obj and import into C4d with Riptide Pro. I never got used to MOI interface.

I was told that with PolyTrans the best format for getting into C4d is .lwo

Thread Closed share thread