2012 Mac Mini Cinebench

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 11 November 2012   #46
Originally Posted by Navstar: How is Windows for remote management? Is it better than plain VNC?

I've been using Windows 7 built in remote management for my 6 machine farm the past 2 years and it works great. No problems at all.
M dot Strange dot CoM

Old 11 November 2012   #47
It's pretty nice for Windows 7 and XP. Go to the start menu, and type mstsc.

You just type in the local DNS name of the machine, the user name and password, and its like your working on the machine directly.

Its great for managing a few local windows machines if you don't have windows server. I would say its about the same as the free VNC or tightVNC for that purpose.

-AJ

Old 11 November 2012   #48
with windows 8 each computer can be made a tile on your home screen touch and your in that simple. I've stopped relying on vnc and moved over to windows own remote tool for the last 3 years

Old 11 November 2012   #49
I haven't tried this, but there is also Google Chrome Remote Desktop .
You would need to install Chrome on each computer, and then add Google Remote Desktop to the Chrome browsers on each computer.

Anyone any thoughts on this as a cross platform alternative to vnc?

Old 11 November 2012   #50
Originally Posted by penboack: I haven't tried this, but there is also Google Chrome Remote Desktop .
You would need to install Chrome on each computer, and then add Google Remote Desktop to the Chrome browsers on each computer.

Anyone any thoughts on this as a cross platform alternative to vnc?

works great, chrome doesn't have to remain open on the client machines either, it installs an always on service

edit: important difference between this and basic win RDP setup, there's no faffing about with VPNs, static IPs etc, you can access your chrome remote desktops from anywhere, not just local network

Last edited by squidinc : 11 November 2012 at 11:53 PM.

Old 11 November 2012   #51
on the Mac i use CoRD (http://cord.sourceforge.net/) it is %500 better then Microsoft's remote log-in software. CoRD has bookmarks for any system you connect to!. I have 10 bookmarks for the 10 node renderfarm at work. I'm a double click away from any machine. and the response time is sick, its truly one of the best VNC setups I've ever used. IM trying to get the IT admin to set it up so i can log in from my home, but the studio owner knows he would never see me again if that happeds.

Old 11 November 2012   #52
Don't know if this has been mentioned before but here's a little cost effective tip.

One piece of software that has been invaluable (at least for me) when managing and monotoring NET-render clients is iTeleport for both the iPad and iPhone. You get total access to all your machines regardless of geographical location providing you have at least a 3G connection.

https://itunes.apple.com/se/app/ite...70485?l=en&mt=8

In combination with iTeleport it's also a good idea to configure your NET-render boxes / slaves / mac minis -what have you, to autostart the NET-render app (on Windows) or start up automatically (via login item in preferences on MacOS) Once booted and ready to render, you can comfortably access all your machines via iTeleport on the ipad without the need for any client-attached harware i.e keyboards, displays, mice etc.

If you want to take things yet a step further, you can choose DropBox as the default administrator location for where your complted renders will be stored. This affords you even greater flexibility. Adding Prowl (for iphone, ipad) to the mix, in turn connected to Growl that's configured to monitor your DropBox folder on the Mac will in turn result in discreet Push notifications being sent to your smartphone each time one of your NET-render clients has completed a render. Hope this helps someone

Cheers / Alex

Old 11 November 2012   #53
Originally Posted by Newstream: Don't know if this has been mentioned before but here's a little cost effective tip.

One piece of software that has been invaluable (at least for me) when managing and monotoring NET-render clients is iTeleport for both the iPad and iPhone. You get total access to all your machines regardless of geographical location providing you have at least a 3G connection.

https://itunes.apple.com/se/app/ite...70485?l=en&mt=8

In combination with iTeleport it's also a good idea to configure your NET-render boxes / slaves / mac minis -what have you, to autostart the NET-render app (on Windows) or start up automatically (via login item in preferences on MacOS) Once booted and ready to render, you can comfortably access all your machines via iTeleport on the ipad without the need for any client-attached harware i.e keyboards, displays, mice etc.

If you want to take things yet a step further, you can choose DropBox as the default administrator location for where your complted renders will be stored. This affords you even greater flexibility. Adding Prowl (for iphone, ipad) to the mix, in turn connected to Growl that's configured to monitor your DropBox folder on the Mac will in turn result in discreet Push notifications being sent to your smartphone each time one of your NET-render clients has completed a render. Hope this helps someone

Cheers / Alex

That's an awesome tip, Alex, thanks!
HyperactiveVR
I reject your reality and substitute my own

Old 11 November 2012   #54
Great tips on this thread.
I use TeamViewer. Its free, works great on anything including iPhone/iPad and you can run it on computers without an admin pass.

There I was the other week on a train doing a bit of work in Cinema4D on my iPhone (imagine posting that on CGTalk a few years ago) - making a few tweaks here and there, checking on renders in the farm.

Now we have no escape! Heck, it even makes checking your renders from under your blanket at night whilst your wife sleeps a possibility. (Don't even think about it) (well, not yet)

Old 11 November 2012   #55
probably not worth going for the all new and improved rack van!
http://blog.makezine.com/2006/03/19...=Transportation

Henry Moore

Old 11 November 2012   #56
I used to use Teamviewer all the time too. Now I also use PocketCloud for iOS. Goodreader is actually a fantastic FTP app. I connect via VPN to my network and with Goodreader I have access to my entire directory, so I can use it to manage Netrender, check frames etc. And bjango's iStat is great or monitoring the hardware.

I have to agree that controlling the mac with my iPhone/iPad while on the move is quite amazing... Tweaking render settings in c4d, comping in AE... From a mobile device! I just got a little paranoid about security so I switched to VPN. I love the Prowl/Growl tip for pushing notifications to devices, I have to try it!

Old 11 November 2012   #57
okay, since we are on the topic of node managment....

all of our nodes have "Integrated IPMI 2.0 + KVM" and i have no idea how to uses this.

as i understand its a micro OS that you send command to and it basically has PHYSICAL control over the node. re-boot. flash power, report boot errors, etc. it has a dedicated ethernet port on the front. (my curent CoRD setup can't re-boot the hardware, you need physical assess to do that via KVM or finger-on-butten)

I have no idea how to uses this and i was wondering if any of you had any info. We bought the systems off a liquidated and the only thing they could do is send us a PDF that was not vey helpful on that feature.

thanks

Old 11 November 2012   #58
IPMI uses standard twisted pair cables and a seperate network port on the server in question.
You should find more information specific to your machines on the website of the manufacturer of your servers. Very likely they also offer a small software that allows you to connect to such an IPMI controlled server and manage it via your browser.
You will find a lot of information on this via Google, but i think you should start at the server manufacturers homepage.
Cheers
Björn

Old 11 November 2012   #59
Just thought I'd add this to the remote login part of the discussion if anyones interested...

Haven't used it, but a friend recommended Splashtop, which is currently on sale on itunes for 2.99 USD

http://www.splashtop.com/splashtop2#overview-tab

Old 11 November 2012   #60
Originally Posted by GrahamWilson: Mac Minis work great as a render farm.

woohoo

Thread Closed share thread