2012 Mac Mini Cinebench

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

11 November 2012
I will say. a stack of mac mini's doesn't look nearly as cool as the wall of mac pro's I had when working on woman in white. Small temp office and we stacked the mac pros 3 high on top of each other, got a photo somewhere, but hey that was 2005.

Another interesting one is the new samsung chrombox, it's almost identical size to the mac mini, but again they cripple the specs using a core celeron 1.9ghz. It is sandybridge though so I wonder how well it's heat would hold up upgraded to a 3770 or 3930.

I do love this idea of portable rendernodes, when I worked over at Hive, Jim and I used an old portable editing station which we ripped the guts out of to build systesm on plywood and turn it into a portable 5x4core system. Great heat coverage as it was a large box, but not really that portable or dense Again 2007, so a lot has changed since then.

11 November 2012
That Chromebox looks pretty neat. Very exciting times with things getting smaller and smaller.

I don't think its LGA 1155 that you would need for the Ivy Bridge 3770k, and you might have to hack it to run Linux or Windows on it. The 6 core 3930 runs on LGA 2011, and according to google.com, they don't make an ITX board for that.

Apparently the 22nm chips run really cool, and you can get away with just a 1U profile heatsink that makes no noise. The 1U heatsinks from older 45nm+ servers sound like jet engines.

Of course if you have lots of cash and need really high density CPU power, you can get a few of those dual dual socket 1U blades from Supermicro. Fill them with 4-10 core xeons each, and you've got 80 threads in a 19"x26"x1.5" case. Just make sure to put it in a sound proof box.

Shame they discontinued X-Serve.

Anyways sorry to derail your Mac Mini thread.

-AJ

11 November 2012
Originally Posted by LucentDreams: a stack of mac mini's doesn't look nearly as cool as the wall of mac pro's..

How about the best of both? Lately I kind of inherited a number of old MacPros. Just out of curiosity, could it be possible to toss those MacMinis into Pro case? I suppose the case could take a bunch of Minis (with a crapload of screws and PSU?).

So, talking about Cinebench and Studio version and whatnot so that this thread would not get side-tracked from C4D, do I have any chances of combining the exteriors of an old macPro with Minis, and thus getting laid or whatever it is I enjoy doing besides of rendering?

11 November 2012
how removable are the internal sections of the mac pro? It's so compartmentalized that I might need some tools. It'll need air flow but should be possible to fit two columns in there in terms of volume, but again how easily you could is another question. The would certainly be easier in a cheap large pc tower. But that does defeat the portability part of the discussion.

11 November 2012
Why not use EC2 instead of owning and maintaining a farm?

11 November 2012
Originally Posted by PhoenixCG: Why not use EC2 instead of owning and maintaining a farm?

Could you explain PheonixCG? is it this?... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amazon...c_Compute_Cloud
A cloud running NET render clients?

11 November 2012
Originally Posted by lewisrowe: Could you explain PheonixCG? is it this?... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amazon...c_Compute_Cloud
A cloud running NET render clients?

Cloud systems can be perfectly normal Windows machines, you can run a Net Client on them without problems. Just keep an eye on costs, most cloud applications are not as ressource hungry as rendering so it might cost more than you expect.
Cheers
Björn

11 November 2012
Thanks Srek. That's new to me. Interesting.
So for now it does seem a rack of Minis makes a cost effective farm if you're always rendering.

Last edited by lewisrowe : 11 November 2012 at 08:46 AM.

11 November 2012
You could bill the Cloud rendering cost to the client.

11 November 2012
Exactly. Unless your render 24/7, there's a diminishing return in having a local render farm vs a cloud/remote farm like zync, Rebus, Ranch etc...

It's nice to have some horsepower, say a couple of slave workstations or rendernodes to speed up test renders, but otherwise you'll be much better off buying (and billing to the client) on demand capacity in a pro facility which takes care of everything else (investment, upgrades, power, cooling, IT...).

11 November 2012
The more I think about it the more I like this type of setup. Sending large files to farm can take quite some time (and then you screwed the render settings somehow so you need to re-send them), and then you have to download the rendered files. Meh. Rack of Minis or similar look tempting.

11 November 2012
Ive been looking into building a home render farm. this is what i have come up with

Im a Mac guy so i WANT to run OSX for ease of use. so i looked at a stack of Mac minis. Problem is that even with the new IVY BRIDGE Minis they top out at 4 cores. CPU maxed out with 16 gigs of RAM your looking at $1200 US (not including taxes)

so 6 of those would be $7200. 24 CORES for $300 Per CORE

I priced out PC parts to match those specs that are all HACKINTOSH approved parts, that came out to $621.94 (not including pain in the ass building them +taxes)

so 6 of those would be $3731.64. 24 CORES for $155.45 Per CORE

I want to build one of these (http://www.braverabbit.de/playground/?page_id=630) so i choose a smaller motherboard that will only accept a quad core i7.

for only about $250 extra per CPU (and a different motherboard) you could get 6 core i7s.

that would only bring you up to around $5250 . 36 CORES for 145.83 Per CORE and your STILL under Apple's price by almost $2000 for MORE rendering POWER.

After doing the math, i think im going to upgrade my shopping list!

I love the Mac but if its going to sit in my closet and render, all i need is MORE and FASTER!

11 November 2012
That's a cool setup! I love the idea of building a render farm in a file cabinet. Probably a lot cheaper and better looking than getting a 24-36U rack.

I'm sure you'll find Windows 7 just as easy to use as OSX.

-AJ

11 November 2012
i dont mind, Windows 7. I have just found Mac OSX to me more upfront easier to manage. I totally realize this is a personal preference.

The sad thing is that on the same hardware, Windows has been shown to render faster then Mac OSX. So if your going to compare apples to apples (sorry for the pun) windows is a better way to go for a render farm.

11 November 2012
How is Windows for remote management? Is it better than plain VNC?

Thread Closed share thread