CGTalk > Software > Maxon Cinema 4D
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 11-09-2012, 12:07 PM   #16
rob rhodes
Arch Vizer
Rob Rhodes
United Kingdom

yes I believe it will do. Although I think the RT upgrade might be a bit off yet and last time I read the 600 series weren't as optimised for GPU rendering but that might have changed. Im planning on getting a couple of shuttles and overclocking them using a H60 cooler when the next vray update is out with DR.

Old 11-09-2012, 12:50 PM   #17
mustardseed
Expert

portfolio
Andrew Phang
Creative Director
Mustard Seed Creative
Singapore, Singapore

Those Shuttles look quite nice. If it could run as a Hackintosh I'd seriously consider it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucentDreams
tough one imo but overall I'd agree a shuttle is a better option. It's twice the height and a little wider, but for the same cost I can put a 3.4ghz quadcore. which isn't actually twice as fast, but it is faster. Id persónally opt for the power and configurability and most importantly upgradability, but if space was a more serious concern I could fit a lot more mac mini's in a tight space, assuming decent cooling.

Old 11-09-2012, 01:05 PM   #18
Srek
Some guy

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Björn Dirk Marl
Technical Design
Maxon Computer GmbH
Friedrichsdorf, Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustardseed
Those Shuttles look quite nice. If it could run as a Hackintosh I'd seriously consider it...

Please note that a serious number of crashes reported from OS X systems come from not correctly working hackintosh systems. Maxon can not provide support in those situations.
Cheers
Björn

Old 11-09-2012, 01:17 PM   #19
AJ1
User

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
A J
Indiana, USA

I guess they're swell if your a hotshot freelancer who needs to carry around 2-3 units in a sleek and sexy case to impress clients.

I cant imagine Mac Minis are very cost effective against linux/windows based solutions, but they sure do look cool.

-AJ

Last edited by AJ1 : 11-09-2012 at 02:39 PM. Reason: removed smiley face

Old 11-09-2012, 01:23 PM   #20
mustardseed
Expert

portfolio
Andrew Phang
Creative Director
Mustard Seed Creative
Singapore, Singapore

Thanks for the heads up, Srek. Guess I know the easy answer to that then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srek
Please note that a serious number of crashes reported from OS X systems come from not correctly working hackintosh systems. Maxon can not provide support in those situations.
Cheers
Björn

Old 11-09-2012, 02:24 PM   #21
tcastudios
Steady now!

Sweden

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ1
I guess they're swell if your a hotshot freelancer who needs to carry around 2-3 units in a sleek and sexy case to impress clients.

I cant imagine Mac Minis are very cost effective against linux/windows based solutions, but they sure do look cool.

-AJ

That's an insult, period.

Couldn't we once and forever agree on -not- to turn every
possible/impossible topic into a never ending Mac/PC discussion?

I'm sure people are informed more than enough what the
options are and adult enough to decide on what hardware/OS
they want to run.

Please, mods, be much harder on this.

The topic is the MAC MINI 2012 Specs.

Old 11-09-2012, 02:38 PM   #22
AJ1
User

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
A J
Indiana, USA

I apologize if that came off as an insult.

They are nice for small scale setups, and I do think the cases and the presentation are great.

I probably should have used a less sarcastic smiley face.

Old 11-09-2012, 03:06 PM   #23
tcastudios
Steady now!

Sweden

What I wanted to write is that idea is very inspiring as I am
a "hotshot freelancer"(*) working my butt off at locations and one of
the big issues with that is transports.

I've been toying with the idea of a MacBook Pro's cluster
keeping travelling easier, but this MacMini rack looks like the ticket.

So far it's been that case that bringing at least two MacPro
work stations has been the only viable solution, getting rendering
power enough and also have the studio library within them (24TB).

Cheers
Lennart

(*) AJ, it was that remark that tasted bad for me... that's all

Old 11-09-2012, 03:29 PM   #24
mustardseed
Expert

portfolio
Andrew Phang
Creative Director
Mustard Seed Creative
Singapore, Singapore

I agree, Lennart, that's exactly what I thought when I saw Graham's pic. You'd have x24 i7 cores in that one enclosure which looks about as big and probably as heavy as a Mac Pro. And 6 Mac minis, if you total up the RAM and storage, won't even cost as much as a top end Mac Pro!

What I like about the latest Mac mini is that it has shed the discreet graphics and has quad core without having to get the server edition. It's very small and very energy-efficient. Right now I VPN to my studio network to render on my minis when I'm out with my MBP, but that enclosure would make them very portable indeed. Having said that though, I've got this sinking feeling that the next rev Mac Pro that is supposed to come next year is going to be much smaller too...

I'm no system/network admin by any stretch of the imagination, so my personal preference for OSX is mainly because it lets me do things that would require far more technical knowhow on other platforms.

Old 11-09-2012, 03:56 PM   #25
AJ1
User

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
A J
Indiana, USA

Cool man,

I again apologize if I came off as too sarcastic. I didn't mean hotshot as an insult.

If your not tied to a Mac for FCP, you can get a PC alternative that's almost the same size as the Mac Mini.

http://www.neweggbusiness.com/Produ...N82E16811321017

This case would hold the intel 3770K 3.5gz, 16GB of RAM, and 2 HDD's for around $650. That chip scores a 7.5 in CB11.5. Since its unlocked, you might be able to squeeze more out of it.

It's 8" x 9" x 2.25", while the Mini is 7.7'' x 7.7'' x 1.4''.

-AJ

Last edited by AJ1 : 11-09-2012 at 04:23 PM.

Old 11-09-2012, 03:58 PM   #26
LucentDreams
lover of gophers

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Kai Pedersen
Lighting Lead
Double Negative
Vancouver, Canada

This is one situation where the mentality of pc's being cheaper just isn't accurate and misses the point a fair bit. Shuttle is the only model currently that comes even close to the Mac mini being the only miniitx supporting ivy bridge that I know of at double the size of a Mac mini. If you consider the cost of ram and os and CPU to put in that case/board it can have notably better specs but where they talk a out 6 of these you'd only have 3 in the same space. Even if you went with 6core ivy's the cost would go up considerably so you wouldn't be much cheaper than 6 Mac minis, while only having 18cores instead of 24. Your added speed per core would probably reach a similar final bench speed though.

I think the new Mac mini is an impressive little system and PC manufactures are. Of coming close to directly competing with it. Asus and dell and the likes that have a "competitor" model are relying on atom and m processors that simply don't cut it for our needs.

Old 11-09-2012, 04:54 PM   #27
AJ1
User

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
A J
Indiana, USA

Also, that mobile rack is just a box that holds 1U form factor server cases.

They do make dual ITX shallow form factor server cases that would give you the same level of density. If you know what your doing, you can most certainly come up with a PC or Linux based alternative for the Mini.

You could put two 3770K's in each case, and then put three cases in that box.

-AJ

Old 11-09-2012, 04:58 PM   #28
GrahamWilson
Scout

Here is a picture of the back of the rig. It isn't that much to look at. There aren't any fans, the rack shelves have slots in them for the Mac Mini airflow. I could keep stacking these things up as needed. And this rig has one huge benefit over lugging around Mac Pros...it has wheels! No more slicing into your hands while lugging around the aluminum beasts.

Yes, this discussion isn't about anything other than Mac Minis. I'm busy. Time is money. I plug these things in, as many as I need, and they work. Hit render, and away they go. I don't have time to build and install and test. Also remember, the power supply is internal on the Mac Mini. Most other solutions have external power supplies that take up more space, generate more heat, and are just another point of failure.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg back.jpg (68.6 KB, 140 views)

Old 11-09-2012, 05:36 PM   #29
AJ1
User

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
A J
Indiana, USA

That's a neat setup! I'm one of those geeks that enjoy looking at well constrained cabling.

I'm not trying to troll the Mac Mini thread, I'm just passing on that there are high density mobile alternatives.

The PSU is always a point of failure, and most high end servers have a redundant PSU. When you start adding more and more nodes, your chances of a failure increase. The advantage of the openable cases is once a blade fails, you can pull it, swap the part, and get it back in service.

When its time to upgrade, you can also recycle most of the parts.

And yea, I had to haul around a lot of MacPro towers from my old job, and I sill have the red line marks on my hands .

Keep in mind that there are those of us who find building computers fun. If you can befriend one, and buy him or her beer, they might be happy to help you out.

-AJ

Last edited by AJ1 : 11-09-2012 at 05:39 PM.

Old 11-09-2012, 07:05 PM   #30
stoiQa
PRO
portfolio
stoiqa.com
LA, USA

Send a message via AIM to stoiQa Send a message via Yahoo to stoiQa
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamWilson
Here is a picture of the back of the rig. It isn't that much to look at. There aren't any fans, the rack shelves have slots in them for the Mac Mini airflow. I could keep stacking these things up as needed. And this rig has one huge benefit over lugging around Mac Pros...it has wheels! No more slicing into your hands while lugging around the aluminum beasts.

Yes, this discussion isn't about anything other than Mac Minis. I'm busy. Time is money. I plug these things in, as many as I need, and they work. Hit render, and away they go. I don't have time to build and install and test. Also remember, the power supply is internal on the Mac Mini. Most other solutions have external power supplies that take up more space, generate more heat, and are just another point of failure.

that looks super cool

Thread Closed share thread