2012 Mac Mini Cinebench

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 11 November 2012   #1
2012 Mac Mini Cinebench

This little puppy makes a great rendernode. With a quad 2.6Ghz i7/16GB RAM, I'm getting CPU of 6.66 with a MP ration of 4.67x.

It's very inexpensive, and for a rendernode I'm getting exactly what I'm paying for; a small, efficient rendering appliance. Basically a CPU with a power supply.

Old 11 November 2012   #2
Interesting, how much is this specific config?

cheers
brasc

Old 11 November 2012   #3
BTO off the Apple store USD899, 3rd party 16GB RAM for USD130.

Old 11 November 2012   #4
Mac Minis work great as a render farm.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rf3.jog.jpg (84.4 KB, 315 views)

Old 11 November 2012   #5
Nice! Where did you get that housing from? How many does it hold, and does it have a fan/cooling system?

Old 11 November 2012   #6
The Mac Mini racks are from MK1 Manufacturing:

http://www.mk1manufacturing.com/www.../Computers.html

The enclosure is a 8 rack space SKB rack. Power conditioner from Furman. There's a 16 port switch on the back. The back is open, so the cooling is passive.

This rack goes on set with me, or wherever it needs to be. It's been rock solid.

Old 11 November 2012   #7
My 2012 minis heat up to 95degrees Celsius when rendering. How hot does your rig get?

Old 11 November 2012   #8
That sounds a little high, but I'll have to check. I haven't paid much attention to it. Of course they get hot, but they don't whine and buzz at peak fan speed like a lot of other solutions.

The Mac Mini is a fantastic render node. You can actually fit almost 40 Mac Minis in the same square footage as a single Mac Pro tower, if you stack them up. For me, that's where the power is. Space is at a premium, and they're relatively power-efficient.

Old 11 November 2012   #9
Thanks for posting these results.
I've been considering getting exactly that setup.

If you work out the cost per buck it is a lot better than any professional workstation for CPU based rendering.

Old 11 November 2012   #10
This is neat. I'd not even thought of Mac Minis for a render farm. Thanks for posting.

Old 11 November 2012   #11
That's pretty amazing. It's only US$154 per Cinebench unit. That's 1/3 the cost of Mini performance from about two years ago.

Cinebench price/performance 01/2011:
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=952600

Old 11 November 2012   #12
Can you post some pics of the back of the rig?

Old 11 November 2012   #13
Why go with a Mac Mini over a shuttle, for example?

Old 11 November 2012   #14
tough one imo but overall I'd agree a shuttle is a better option. It's twice the height and a little wider, but for the same cost I can put a 3.4ghz quadcore. which isn't actually twice as fast, but it is faster. Id persónally opt for the power and configurability and most importantly upgradability, but if space was a more serious concern I could fit a lot more mac mini's in a tight space, assuming decent cooling.

Old 11 November 2012   #15
Does net render work for rendering with multiple GPUs? Shuttle has an option that can use a single GTX 680 2GB, I'm thinking a few of those might be great for the upcoming Vray RT.

Thread Closed share thread