Expert

N Parker
Mograph Dude
Los%2BAngeles, United%2BStates

LED Spectrum Analyzer with peak floaties

I'm trying to get something like this:

Audio Spectrum Analyzer V3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9M5OOPE06x4#t=1m35s

I can build the normal base of the LED spectrum with Mograph cloners & Sound Effector. But what's got me stumped are the peak floaties that hang around and slowly move down until they are boosted back up by the tip of the LED meter.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LEDFloaties.jpg (13.1 KB, 59 views)

Old 11-06-2012, 09:29 PM   #2
kvb
Now with Less Gout!

Kevin V. Barnum
Graphic Designer/3D Artist
Colorvision International
Orlando, USA

I have a rig for that... sort of. Needs some tweaking. I'll fix it up when I get out of work and see if I can get it to do exactly what you're needing it to.

-kvb

Last edited by kvb : 11-06-2012 at 09:31 PM.

Old 11-07-2012, 12:30 AM   #3
Navstar
Expert

N Parker
Mograph Dude

Fantastic! Thank you!

Old 11-07-2012, 06:56 AM   #4
kvb
Now with Less Gout!

Kevin V. Barnum
Orlando, USA

Cleaning it up so it's digestible by others (including me, since I created it almost two months ago under deadline and haven't looked at, nor commented, the python effector code since).

Then I'll adjust it so it has the lingering clone effect option you seek.

When you see it you'll wonder why it's so complex. It would have been nice if using a volume effector just worked without issue... but there were serious problems with clones randomly disappearing, so I had to create my own effector and a whole rig wrapped around it. Though it may not look like the cleanest solution; it works and is highly adaptable.

As you can imagine, I've been distracted by the election... not just the results but the extended work day due to spending 3+ hours waiting in line to vote I did manage to get most of the cleanup and code commenting done though.

-kvb

Old 11-08-2012, 02:52 AM   #5
GruvDOne
Keeper of the Cheese

portfolio
Willie Frazier
Production Designer
Reality Check Systems
Burbank, USA

Send a message via AIM to GruvDOne Send a message via Yahoo to GruvDOne
I'm quite looking forward to this, as it is a look I've wanted to employ myself at times. thank you in advance for taking time with it.

As for the election / voting thing. What's with Florida and that stuff? I live in Southern California, one of the most densely populated places in the country, and my entire voting experience from parking the car to starting it up again to leave was 120 minutes. Sorry you had to endure that.
OSX 10.10.4
C4D R16 Studio/CC/FCS 3
Will's Works

Old 11-08-2012, 06:23 AM   #6
kvb
Now with Less Gout!

Kevin V. Barnum
Orlando, USA

Sorry I haven't been successful with that last bit with the lingering glowing blocks thus far. But here's the rig as it stands thus far.

I'll keep plugging away and see if I can get the lingering/glowing blocks at the top working.

A quick description of how the rig works (I'm tired as hell, need to get to sleep):

Basically the sound effector effects the Y position of a matrix object. Another matrix object reads the Y value of those clones through the python effector and affects the visibility/weighting of the clones. Then a cloner with the actual geometry is cloned onto that last matrix, inheriting its weighting and visibility. All relevant controls are on the parent null (except the stuff for the sound effector, just load a sound, set the translation the sound effector outputs and the rest can be adjusted on the parent null). You can see the effect of the weighting with the included material that's placed on the cloner object.

Hopefully I'll be able to figure out how to accomplish the lingering glowing clone... but for now my sleep depravation is hindering my success in that department.

On the election: I'm finally in a state that "matters" and the election gets called without it... go figure. Part of the problem was the almost 70% voter turn out in my county... then there's a whole bunch of stuff regarding voting rule changes by our governor/state government that didn't help (half the early voting days, fewer polling locations, etc.). Florida's a mess when it comes to voting.

-kvzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Last edited by kvb : 11-08-2012 at 06:28 AM.

Old 11-12-2012, 06:28 AM   #7
kvb
Now with Less Gout!

Kevin V. Barnum
Orlando, USA

These floaties are still proving to be a brain buster Still at it though... can't seem to put it down. I'm determined to solve this.

-kvb

Old 11-12-2012, 12:02 PM   #8
rustEdge
that guy

portfolio
Gene Carlo Magtoto
Digital Designer, Cinema4D TD & Animator
freelance
Vancouver, Canada

Send a message via Yahoo to rustEdge
here's a sort of hack I guess...
-----------------------------------
Cloner set to Linear Mode, driven by a Sound Effector.

Have several Null Objects in the scene, each corresponding to a stack of lights for the Spectrum Analyzer.
------------------------------------
In XPresso, compare each Null to the height of its corresponding Clone (LinkList/ObjectList Node and MoGraph Data Node).

If the Null is lower than the Clone, then set the Null's y-position to the Clone's y-position. This is for the behavior where the floaty moves to the audio spike.

If the Null is higher than the Clone, then decrement its y-position for that frame. This is the floaty gradually going down if there's no audio spike.
Using Range Mappers or Driver Tags or whatnot, read the Null's y-position. This will correspond do the height of the floaty, which you can convert to a discrete light with another Cloner, or even actual objects (like toggling the visibility of the corresponding light.).

Old 11-12-2012, 12:22 PM   #9
littledevil
Meh

portfolio
Ferdinand
Germany

i guess i am missing something here, but isn't this pretty basic delay effector stuff ? just a delay effecor in even mode with a value somewehere at 80-99% ?

Old 11-12-2012, 01:06 PM   #10
rustEdge
that guy

portfolio
Gene Carlo Magtoto
Digital Designer, Cinema4D TD & Animator
freelance
Vancouver, Canada

Send a message via Yahoo to rustEdge
With a Delay Effector, the 'floaty' will lag on both the Up and Down directions. The desired behavior is that it immediately snaps to the highest value when there's a volume spike, but moves slowly when left alone.

Think of it as falling piece of tissue paper. If you push it up with your hand, it will immediately move up with it. But if you let go, it will drift down.

Old 11-12-2012, 08:21 PM   #11
kvb
Now with Less Gout!

Kevin V. Barnum
Orlando, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustEdge
here's a sort of hack I guess...
-----------------------------------
Cloner set to Linear Mode, driven by a Sound Effector.

Have several Null Objects in the scene, each corresponding to a stack of lights for the Spectrum Analyzer.
In XPresso, compare each Null to the height of its corresponding Clone (LinkList/ObjectList Node and MoGraph Data Node).

If the Null is lower than the Clone, then set the Null's y-position to the Clone's y-position. This is for the behavior where the floaty moves to the audio spike.

If the Null is higher than the Clone, then decrement its y-position for that frame. This is the floaty gradually going down if there's no audio spike.
Using Range Mappers or Driver Tags or whatnot, read the Null's y-position. This will correspond do the height of the floaty, which you can convert to a discrete light with another Cloner, or even actual objects (like toggling the visibility of the corresponding light.).

I've been trying something similar. My entire rig is based on a matrix object in linear mode with a sound effector driving the y position of the clones. The y positions of these clones drive the entire rig and affect both clone visibility and weighting on a resulting grid array. I've been trying a python effector reading my existing sound driven matrix object and doing as you describe: setting to the sound driven clones y position if lower, and if equal or higher decrementing from its current position for that frame.

However, the clones don't seem to want to keep their current position but are always being driven directly by the sound driven clones, so I can only mimic the sound driven matrix object. It just doesn't want to work. It seems like the positions of the clones from the previous frame aren't being carried over to the next frame for the y position calculation.

Next try is going to be using a link list of nulls. If that fails (which I don't expect it to) I guess I could get away with some carefully calibrated modynamics.

-kvb

Old 11-13-2012, 07:01 AM   #12
kvb
Now with Less Gout!

Kevin V. Barnum
Orlando, USA

Ok, I finally got it. I haven't cleaned it up yet, so it's a bit sloppy at the moment. Good thinking with the non-clone based approach Gene... I cheated a bit and used Per's fantastic Mograph to Nulls setup as a starting point for setting that up (so that the floater references will adapt to the number of columns).

Glow needs to be enabled and visibility disabled for this to work, and there's two parameters on the parent null to control the amount of fading and the amount of push above the EQ peak for each column.

It may not be perfect... but it works.

Grab it HERE

Will continue to clean it up and post it back up when it's complete.

-kvb

Old 11-13-2012, 07:43 PM   #13
Navstar
Expert

N Parker
Mograph Dude

Wow. That's really outstanding!

Is it possible to use a different shader just on the floaties?

Old 11-13-2012, 08:57 PM   #14
kvb
Now with Less Gout!

Kevin V. Barnum
Orlando, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navstar
Wow. That's really outstanding!

Is it possible to use a different shader just on the floaties?

Thanks! Naturally I can't take all the credit. Some of Per's code from his distance effector was mighty important, then there's the tweaked mograph to nulls setup and Gene convincing me to say "screw it, it doesn't need to all be mograph".

Should be possible to have a different shader for the floaties. I'll explore that when I get home from work.

-kvb

Old 11-14-2012, 06:04 AM   #15
kvb
Now with Less Gout!

Kevin V. Barnum
Orlando, USA

Ok, I see two ways that come to mind. There's possibly more that I'm just not seeing right now.

1. The cheap way: Doesn't give you full material control, but does allow you to change the color. On line 88 of the python effector is the vector that controls the floaters weight/color. You can change this to whatever color you want.

2. The more complicated way: Duplicate the clone matrix and geo cloner. Modify the python effector to hide the floaters on the original clone matrix. Copy the python effector and modify it to show only the floaters and apply that to the newly copied clone matrix instead of the original one. Now you can add whatever material you want to the cloner that's now generating just the floaters.

I could make number two happen.

Just a note... the clone matrix itself isn't wholly necessary. But it allows you to turn off the clone geometry and still visualize the results... just in case anyone was wondering why I went that route even though at first glance it appears completely superfluous.

-kvb

Thread Closed share thread