stormy sea tips

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

10 October 2012
stormy sea tips

hi,

can someone provide some tips for the creation of a stormy / rainy sea scene ? i am aiming
for a still and as much photorealism as possible. did some tests and some research on the net.

my workflow so far :

1. create polygonal base mesh, mesh paint the basic wave information and the ship/water interaction into it.
2. create an ocean displacement shader using the common c4d landscape creation workflow using multiple noises and so on.
3. create rain as a series of infinite planes facing the camera mapped with rain textures.

this all works better than i thought, however i am facing some problems.

1. the foam generation. foam is basicly a convexity map of the waves. the usual trick of using a falloff shader or the new landscape shader doesn't really work for me here, due to the fact that both shaders tend to fail on very subtle angle differences. i think i'll have to handpaint the foam.

2. spray generation.

i am heading for this kind of effect :

any kind of comments, tips and tricks are welcome.

10 October 2012
If it's still image and photorealism, I'd definitely go for matte painting instead of pure 3D. You dont much see pure 3D in photorealistic stills (unless someone is bragging with his/her VRay settings). Create the basic 3D mesh and then paint on it. They say Realflow has foams in it, but I never used it so I don't know about that.

11 November 2012
Real Flow does have foam, and it's hyper realistic, but kind of a shame to buy for something like this unless your budget is quite large. I would sculpt something out in R14, (if you have it) and then paint it in body paint or PS.

11 November 2012
Not sure if this will help. Have you looked at Add the Sea?

http://www.add-the-sea.de/

11 November 2012
hi,

thanks for the replies.

1. matte painting (or at least some heavy camera projection) is the way i am heading right now.

2. yeah i know the capabilities of realflow, it can produce results ranging from decent to outstanding. but its price and its rendertimes are a nogo fo me.

3. i also knew add the sea, but thanks for the link.

11 November 2012
Quote: 2. yeah i know the capabilities of realflow, it can produce results ranging from decent to outstanding. but its price and its rendertimes are a nogo fo me.

What gets a little overlooked when discussing foam and ocean creation with RealFlow is the fact that you get particles, meshes and basic textures as output, but you still have to care yourself for realistic rendering in your 3D package afterwards.

11 November 2012
Don't know if you've seen this discussion on the same issue...
http://forum.vrayforc4d.com/showthr...light=vray+dirt
I posted on there about the use of Vray dirt with inverted normals option for automatic foam shading in the peaks of the mesh. Plus links to other stuff including the inverted dirt method (shading of peaks instead of dents).

11 November 2012
Originally Posted by ChristianZ: What gets a little overlooked when discussing foam and ocean creation with RealFlow is the fact that you get particles, meshes and basic textures as output, but you still have to care yourself for realistic rendering in your 3D package afterwards.

ok, that might have been a bit miselading what i wrote there. with rendertimes i meant simulation times in realflow which can be easily days or weeks according to some prominent
examples on youtube. ontop of that you have to count the acutal rendertimes. but this is all pointless, as realflow isn't an option for me.

Quote: Don't know if you've seen this discussion on the same issue...
http://forum.vrayforc4d.com/showthr...light=vray+dirt
I posted on there about the use of Vray dirt with inverted normals option for automatic foam shading in the peaks of the mesh. Plus links to other stuff including the inverted dirt method (shading of peaks instead of dents).

that is brilliant ! i am not using vray, but if i remember correctly vray dirt is some kind of AO. with large maximum ray value and high contrast values you can get things out of c4d, which look pretty much like a foam map.

11 November 2012
Hi Little_Devil,
I've been meaning to try this idea out for ages anyway so here's a test.
http://www.lewisrowe.co.uk/things/AO_sea_foam.zip

Of course its not perfect, but with a better mesh I think it could make a decent base render to paint over with some sea-spray etc.
It was more tricky than I expected to get the settings right though. Lots of messing around.
Still, it works, except AR can only shade the dents so you can see some of the peaks are dark instead of being white foam. But Photoshop could improve things.

It might be quicker in the end to render an AO luminance mask and add the foam in post. I think the important characteristics to get right is the colours - they gradate from dark sea green through to brighter blue then to white. You can see this happening in your reference.
Good luck.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AO_sea_foam.jpg (56.0 KB, 192 views)

11 November 2012
Can someone tell me. How do you post your images to display big?

11 November 2012
Originally Posted by Little_Devil: hi,
as much photorealism as possible.

mattepainting/cam projection.
any other option will lead to lots of effort (not saying that a good mattepaint/cam projection is no effort), lots of rendertimes, lots of simulationtimes (for a still image...) and lots of cost with maybe not much photorealism.
the big deal is not the ocean surface by the way - this can be achieved quite fair - BUT the splash & dust & foam.
ciao,
fuat

11 November 2012
Originally Posted by fuat: mattepainting/cam projection.
any other option will lead to lots of effort

I think you're right Fuat. Its a very tricky look to simulate.
You could put a huge effort into job like this and end with something closer to this...
http://www.tasteofglasgow.com/wp-co...f-1-590x442.jpg

11 November 2012
Originally Posted by lewisrowe: I think you're right Fuat. Its a very tricky look to simulate.
You could put a huge effort into job like this and end with something closer to this...
http://www.tasteofglasgow.com/wp-co...f-1-590x442.jpg

or this:
http://i.ytimg.com/vi/Mns9atFFUO0/0.jpg

Thread Closed share thread