Memory Management Issues

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 10 October 2012   #1
Memory Management Issues

Hi;

This is one thing that I've observed in C4D and have been wondering whether if other users are experiencing it on a daily basis and how they cope with it in general.

When I populate a scene with dense objects cloned en masse via mograph cloner or maybe even tons of grass blades etc., although I make the objects invisible from their layers, they tend to go on reflecting their live operators' computations and densities to the overall scene in run time... In Softimage or Maya, just as soon as make such heavy objects invisible from their layers, you can easily navigate through your scene without hiccups. In C4D, although I'm not at all interacting with the cloners or heavy setups that are made invisible, I can't even move move the camera without a 5 minute delay...

What I resort to doing right now is disabling the operators one after the other or connecting them to a single on/off switch via expresso, but that yields to be really cumbersome cuz sometimes there are like dozens and dozens of these generators and/or operators in my scene. I tried LOD's but even that didn't help too much...

What I'm wondering is; Is this a common M.O. in C4D, or is there something I'm missing there somehow?

When I look at films made by Aixsponza, they have sh*t loads of dense objects all over their scenes and god knows with how many live generators and operators. Do they have to hunt down each and every one of these in the OM to disable them while they work on these scenes, just to be able to navigate?

Cheers;

AJ

Is there a way

Old 10 October 2012   #2
look in the project settings window, you can turn everything on or off from there

Old 10 October 2012   #3
The layer browser has other icons for that, uncheck the G (generator) column icon for the layer as well as the Visibility. Would be nice if it was automatic, or a check box to connect them, it needs to be kept separate as something might need to be hidden but still generate to influence other OM items.

cheers
brasc

Old 10 October 2012   #4
yea I wish we could paint across them like we can paint up and down layers to turn off everything, and also if we could modifier click to toggle all lines on a layer (except solo obviously)

Our layer system is nicer in being able to modify visibility expressions, and generation all separately but it can be more cumbersome too.

Old 10 October 2012   #5
Originally Posted by LucentDreams: yea I wish we could paint across them like we can paint up and down

I've just suggested it, probably again but I lose track of my demands

cheers
brasc

Old 10 October 2012   #6
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread