XFROG-M4D IRAY- Cinema 4D Flower growing test

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 10 October 2012   #1
XFROG-M4D IRAY- Cinema 4D Flower growing test

This is a small test I performed with XFROG to get some flowers to grow. I wanted to see if I could render the whole thing on a GPU. Rendered in Cinema 4D using M4D-IRAY on an NVIDIA GTX 590.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IickknyV7I0

Old 10 October 2012   #2
Cool! What was the resolution and rendertime?

Old 10 October 2012   #3
Originally Posted by mustardseed: Cool! What was the resolution and rendertime?

1280 x 768 at between 5 and 30 seconds per frame depending on how many flowers are visible in the shot

Old 10 October 2012   #4
Very good.

The only problem is that the camera angle, particularly at the beginning of the shot makes you want to look down at the ground and see the flowers coming up from there!

Old 10 October 2012   #5
It's a good start but the way the petals grow is unrealistic. The petals should grow as one tightly formed ball and then spread open. He's a video to reference:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0vrLsgMc-A

Old 10 October 2012   #6
Originally Posted by penboack: Very good.

The only problem is that the camera angle, particularly at the beginning of the shot makes you want to look down at the ground and see the flowers coming up from there!

I agree completely. It was just a proof of concept. didnt even have a floor.

Old 10 October 2012   #7
Originally Posted by ccross: It's a good start but the way the petals grow is unrealistic. The petals should grow as one tightly formed ball and then spread open. He's a video to reference:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0vrLsgMc-A

I absolutely agree. The growth pattern is completely wrong. This was just a test to see if I could get it to work on a GPU. If i were to do a real animation of this type i would have to have it grow the way you said!!!

Old 10 October 2012   #8
By way of comparison, did you test how long the render would take on the CPU?

Old 10 October 2012   #9
Originally Posted by penboack: By way of comparison, did you test how long the render would take on the CPU?

Not on this particular case. But I did a similar test which is published on the new M4D page in the IRAY section. In that case I got a 700% speed increase with GPU compared to CPU.

Old 10 October 2012   #10
Thanks for the info.
Assuming the CPU in question is a Sandy Bridge or Ivy Bridge Quad core or better then that is very impressive indeed!

Unfortunately I'm not sure that the current Nvidia GeForce GTX 690 would give such good performance, as Nvidia seem to be optimising aspects of GPU performance other than floating point calculations. It isn't clear whether this is a marketing driven or engineering driven on Nvidia's part.

Old 10 October 2012   #11
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread