Smart Link Shader Launched

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 10 October 2012   #1
Smart Shaders Launched

Tools4D is proud to announce the launch of Smart Shaders.A powerful shader instancing and multipass system for cinema4D R12 , 13 and 14.

For further information , please see this link...

regards

Paul Everett

Tools4D.com

Last edited by tapaul : 11 November 2012 at 04:40 AM.

Old 10 October 2012   #2
Hi Paul,

Looks very useful. You mention Smart Shader working with vray.
Could smart shader be used in place of the vray material converter ?

I ask because not all c4d textures / shaders convert smoothly

TIA

iMac 3.06 ghz Intel Core 2 Duo / 16 GB / OS 10.9.5 / C4D StudioR12 / CS6

R.I.P. 11.02.11 ... my dear friend .

Old 10 October 2012   #3
bought! nice job paul

Old 10 October 2012   #4
Very cool. I use Blackstar's Reference Shader every day, so I'm curious how this compares.

Old 10 October 2012   #5
Hi Paul, these images only give a rough idea, but I guess it is comparable with the reference shader. But neither from these images nor the manual I get an idea, what the Smart Parameters do. Could you describe this? Is this like an overide option to selectively change parameters of the referenced shader?

Old 10 October 2012   #6
stuff...

Smart Parameters override the parameters of the linked shader. (use RMB remove entry to delete a parameter).

Smart Tag , marks the instanced shaders, so you can see what is instance and what is original, in the demo you can not disable this.

Smart Link, prevents links from breaking if you change a shader in a channel.

Smart List , opens the Smart Shader List , from which you can easily drag drop any shader into the link field,ect. (as well as many other things)

I will do a video soon, which will show how to use it.

regards
Paul

Old 10 October 2012   #7
Great stuff, looks tasty. Certainly a need for this.

Does it cause problems if I send the file to someone without the plugin by the way, or will the materials stay intact (just unlinked)?

Old 10 October 2012   #8
you can bake (convert with smart parameters) the smart shaders from the smart shader manager (rmb on a smart link shader) and send to anyone. But otherwise a recpient would obviously need to own the shader as it is a plugin, and without the plugin , no go. so if you have to send to someone else, or a farm, just convert before you send or ask them to buy the plugin.If you have the mult license, anyone on your license can install and use the plugin, and it will also work on any net rendering service (assuming they install the plugin) without any need for keys and wotnot..

regards
Paul Everett
www.Tools4d.com

Old 10 October 2012   #9
Hey Paul. This looks awesome. I will have a look at this. Very Exciting..
www.c4dStuff.com

HB_ModellingBundle

Old 10 October 2012   #10
Originally Posted by selmo: Very cool. I use Blackstar's Reference Shader every day, so I'm curious how this compares.

As do I. I have an NPR shading system based on it. The problem with RefShader is that you cannot copy/paste a material with a referenced shader even if the exact matching master is in the file. the linking goes deeper than the names, I guess. The result is that I have to copy a full set of base materials into a new file and make copies from those always within the file. So no Xref, no easy re-use of objects with existing materials.

It's not clear to me what your plug does similarly/differently from ReferenceShader. Would you please explain?

Old 10 October 2012   #11
>The problem with RefShader is that you cannot copy/paste a material with a referenced >shader even if the exact matching master is in the file.

You can copy and paste a material within the same document, links are not lost.
Also, links dont break if you change the shader, in a channel or shader feild(eg,vray)

hence the name Smart link shader.

>It's not clear to me what your plug does similarly/differently from ReferenceShader.

Smart linking , smart tagging and great shader manager.plus excellent parameter management.

why not just grab the demo and give it a shot.

regards
Paul Everett
Tools4D.com

Old 10 October 2012   #12
Originally Posted by tapaul: ...
You can copy and paste a material within the same document, links are not lost.
Also, links dont break if you change the shader, in a channel or shader feild(eg,vray)

This works great

I've spent hours trying to achieve a c4d stacked layer into vray ...
This worked instantly.

IMHO, this is a must have plugin.

iMac 3.06 ghz Intel Core 2 Duo / 16 GB / OS 10.9.5 / C4D StudioR12 / CS6

R.I.P. 11.02.11 ... my dear friend .

Old 10 October 2012   #13
Originally Posted by vid2k2: IMHO, this is a must have plugin.

...confirmed!

Old 10 October 2012   #14
from my point of view it looks quite the same to our Reference Shader.
  • Reference Shader lets you pick whole Shader trees as a instance and not only single shaders (correct me if i'm wrong but i couldn't get a smart link to a layer shader or colorizer to work).
  • The Smart Link Shader has a "missing bitmaps" feature that looks quite usefull.
  • The refshader has the "same" parameter management and shader selector dialog as the Smart Link shader as it seems.
  • copies of materials should work with refshader if they stay in the same document, but replacing a referenced shader with a new one breaks the link, you're right.
  • Shader Link Shader seems to keep a link if it is directly to a channel but not if you link to subshader in a layer shader or so.
apart from that they seem to do quite the same, so take your pick

Old 10 October 2012   #15
>from my point of view it looks quite the same to our Reference Shader.

hence the demo, so people can see for themselves.

I wrote this for my virtual room shader, simply becuase it needs the same shader in multiple channels, but I figured this is easily good enough to stand on its own.So the virtual room shader will not require, but will be easier to use with ,this.

>Shader Link Shader seems to keep a link if it is directly to a channel but not if you link to subshader in a layer shader.

This is already fixed in the full version, it now "smart links" to anywhere ( assuming you didn't delete the parent as well)

you can also use things like the layer shader , with no problems.Things like previews work 100%

you can also copy paste to a new document.

>take your pick

indeed, hence the demo.

regards
Paul Everett
Tools4D.com

Last edited by tapaul : 10 October 2012 at 10:10 AM.

Thread Closed share thread