per texture uvs

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 10 October 2012   #1
per texture uvs

i have a layer texture. i want to assign uvs to each texture in my layered texture. is this possible on cinema? i know i can assign multiple uv tags but those seem material not texture specific.

thanks

Old 10 October 2012   #2
As far as I understand your question, you cannot assign several UV's to the same material. You can create a material for each layer but I am not sure if that would work for you.

Old 10 October 2012   #3
ok...thnx....its quite typical in maya to say do a gradient from a front projection and use it as a mask for noise using standard uv layout......mmm have to do something else i guess

Old 10 October 2012   #4
Seems like it's possible. It's got several quirks though.

First quirk, it only displays one of the UV layouts in the viewport. You'll only see the effect of the multiple UVs if you hit render.

Second quirk, the order of tags is VERY important.
-A material will use the the first UV tag it sees to its right.
-If there are no UV tags to its right, it will use the first UV tag of the object.

I've attached a sample scene file for you to play around.One UV tag has the polys skewed at around 45 degrees to the other.

edit:
My bad... misread your problem.
I guess depending on complexity you could try using the Mix Textures option in the Material Tag. Best it can do is add the two channels, so special blending options in Layer won't work.
Attached Files
File Type: zip multipleUVs.zip (120.3 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by rustEdge : 10 October 2012 at 09:47 AM.

Old 10 October 2012   #5
I remember even old versions of 3dsmax had uvw channel IDs. C4D does support multiple UVWs but it's less direct than just assigning the ID in the material. As RustEdge says, it's all done by tag order and it's on a material not channel basis.

My first thought was similar to what RustEdge posted : Split the layer texture into separate textures, apply each texture to your object as a separate tag ( which lets you apply different uvw maps), use an alpha channel in each texture and enable the mix texture option in the tags to blend them. But that still won't let you have different mappings for the alpha channel vs the bump or diffuse channels.

It's been a while since I used it, but the projection shader also might be of use here. Wrap each of the layers in your layer shader with a projection shader (which lets you assign different mappings to each). I think that would let you assign a front projection mapping to your mask layer while using uvws for other layers.

Old 10 October 2012   #6
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread