Sometimes Cinema is clever

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 10 October 2012   #1
Sometimes Cinema is clever

Hi - been wondering about this for a while.

Say I have a couple of objects, and one has an Xpresso tag that links them together in some way, say the scale of one drives the opacity of another, sitting under a null. I then duplicate this hierarchy of objects, and sometimes Cinema is clever enough to anticipate that I will want the new hierarchy to work on its own terms, and it will re-wire the Xpresso to make that happen. So the Xpresso now links the new objects together, and I can animated without affecting the first ones.

Then again, sometimes it doesn't, and I have to re-wire the tag manually.

Is there a way to always get the first behaviour? 'Cos I like it

Old 10 October 2012   #2
Click on the objects in the expresso and change this to relative reference
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2012-10-04 at 9.19.40 PM.png (39.7 KB, 30 views)
www.trickstargames.com

Old 10 October 2012   #3
I think as long as you copy the whole hierarchy (say have everything under a null) it will have the first behavior.
I don't think selecting them individually will do it.

I also am so grateful about this feature, such a timesaver!

Old 10 October 2012   #4
Originally Posted by Anadin: Click on the objects in the expresso and change this to relative reference

That's a start, but it's not the whole story. Try making two spheres, and link the radius of one with the other, via Xpresso. Now group them, and duplicate the group. The new spheres will be linked only to eachother, and the first sphere has no effect. Now CMD-drag to duplicate them in the object manager, and the first sphere now controls two spheres, the old one and one of the new ones. Copy/Paste sometimes creates a new chain, sometimes not.

Simple enough to rewire here of course but when the group is complicated, with dozens of links, I'd like to know how to reliably duplicate the group to create an independent system.

Old 10 October 2012   #5
why not just instance the two grouped spheres

Old 10 October 2012   #6
Originally Posted by marshalartist: why not just instance the two grouped spheres

Because I want to animate them separately?

But I think 51M0N has it - if the Cloners and Effectors and Xpresso setup and everything it targets is duplicated as a single entity, then the link structure will be isolated and intact inside the new object. However if they're duplicated individually, even if it's in one action, then the existing links will remain, and you'll need to re-wire.

Thanks for whoever made this behaviour, it's nice when software reads your mind like that!

Old 10 October 2012   #7
It's also a good quirk with the PoseMorph Tag that I love.

If you have Hierarchy turned on:

The morphs remembers the movements of each object as absolute links, so even if you move them around the hierarchy the animation's the same. It only converts the poses as relative when you transfer the Tag to another hierarchy.

Really good if you want to transfer PSR morphs but the objects aren't the same. You just rearrange the hierarchy to match before transferring the tag.

Old 10 October 2012   #8
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread