Drifting cubes

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 10 October 2012   #1
Drifting cubes

This seems like such a simple thing to do, but for some reason I can't figure it out.

Here's the setup: I have some text that is entirely built of cubes (they are cut to maintain the outter shape of the text). I'd like to have them "drift" apart at one side, with an increasing falloff distance between the cubes. Kind of like a slow explosion from right to left.

I have two problems
1) Setting the cloner up for the preplaced cubes so that they can be effected. Hand placing all the cubes is kind of a b***h.
2) I'm not sure which effector to use in order to have them drift (slowly explode?) at a falloff distance.

I looked at plugins to automate some of the cube placement, but they're not precise enough and don't carve the cubes off to maintain the outline of the letters.

I hope this makes sense, thanks in advance.

Old 10 October 2012   #2
There's a few of approaches

1) Use the plain effector with a linear falloff
2) Use the inheritance effector with a matrix object and use linear falloff
3) get crafty with Dynamics and the attractor.

If you can share your scene, I can put one or all of those examples together for you.

EDIT: Didn't address using Mograph to make up the letters. Hard to visualize exactly what you're talking about. Can you at least post a sketch of what you're trying to do?
HyperactiveVR
I reject your reality and substitute my own

Last edited by Troyan : 10 October 2012 at 02:20 AM.

Old 10 October 2012   #3
Of course, I should have done that in the first place.

Here is what I mean about the cube layout. The type has to retain it's letterforms, which makes it a bit trickier (for me at least). And a shot of the falloff for the cube's drift.

Again, thanks for the help

Originally Posted by Troyan: There's a few of approaches

1) Use the plain effector with a linear falloff
2) Use the inheritance effector with a matrix object and use linear falloff
3) get crafty with Dynamics and the attractor.

If you can share your scene, I can put one or all of those examples together for you.

EDIT: Didn't address using Mograph to make up the letters. Hard to visualize exactly what you're talking about. Can you at least post a sketch of what you're trying to do?
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen shot 2012-10-03 at 6.43.19 PM.png (31.5 KB, 24 views)
File Type: png Screen shot 2012-10-04 at 8.55.05 AM.png (25.4 KB, 30 views)

Old 10 October 2012   #4
Hi,

how did you setup your cubes to form letters ? I mean, if they are singles cubes (or even if they are connected but have separate segments/groups) you may try using a fracture object to have them as separate clones, or maybe use the PolyFX too. Then you can affect them with any effector.
Hope this helps!

Old 10 October 2012   #5
Thanks, that's a great insight. Troyan was kind enough to throw a file together based on your suggestion and it definitely gets me closer to the goal.

The final element that I'm trying to solve is to have the cubes move to an equidistant position. That is, all cubes are always at the same distance from each other. Kind of like the Taper Object if all the cubes remained at their original size.

Thanks guys for the help

Originally Posted by Visualtricks: Hi,

how did you setup your cubes to form letters ? I mean, if they are singles cubes (or even if they are connected but have separate segments/groups) you may try using a fracture object to have them as separate clones, or maybe use the PolyFX too. Then you can affect them with any effector.
Hope this helps!

Old 10 October 2012   #6
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread