Render booleans in r14?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

10 October 2012
So the rBoole object does a preview of the boolean in the viewport with geometry. I get that part. I don't get the rBoole *tag* part. I put it on both my objects, and turn on 'auto'. But I don't get a booled object when I render? I tried putting a tag on the rBoole object too. I know I'm doing something wrong.

It would be cool if the rBoole object, would internally auto tag the objects. At its core, I think it should work just like the normal Boole object. Advanced users could have more options with by adding tags.

10 October 2012
Originally Posted by Navstar: So the rBoole object does a preview of the boolean in the viewport with geometry. I get that part. I don't get the rBoole *tag* part.

The tag is not used with the object, it is used instead of the object or with the shader.

Attached is an example scene much like the sphere example scene on our site (modified for the latest version 0.24a which doesn't need the shader setup).

It looks much like your screenshot without the tags. Just ignore the shader and tag and use the rBoole object just like you would the standard boolean. If you have any problems just e-mail us, it is probably quicker than using cgtalk.

HTH.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rboole_sphere.jpg (5.9 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg rboole_sphere_om.jpg (13.7 KB, 48 views)
Attached Files
File Type: zip rboole_sphere.zip (109.9 KB, 16 views)

A question that sometimes drives me hazy, am I or are the others crazy?

10 October 2012
Aha! I didn't have any materials applied to my sphere! Using the default shader, rBoole doesn't work. Thanks!

11 November 2012
Originally Posted by rob rhodes: This looks like a really exciting plugin. Will it be possible to have this just effect the visibility to camera but all lighting and GI remains the same. Best example I can think of is creating a section through a house that doesnt just cut a hole in the side of it and let all the sun in but respects the windows and designed openings in the house? If that makes sense!.....

The latest version (0.32a) has an experimental option for this to prevent the boolean cut from affecting shadows (and lighting).

11 November 2012
Awesome! Going to give this a try

11 November 2012
This is really shaping up to be a great plug-in. Thanks for all the frequent updates and improvements!

11 November 2012
Please will anyone using or having installed the render boolean plugin update to the latest version (0.34a) which is now available to everyone. This fixes a potentially nasty bug in the render handling that could prevent Net Render and the PV working correctly when using rBoole.

Thanks.

11 November 2012
Anyone noticed - we now can render booleans through SubPoly Displacement!

http://www.plugins4cinema4d.com/index.html

11 November 2012
Does the latest paid for version work with Vray now? Just got round to trying the free version to see if its going to work for me but the camera position seem to shift when using it with vray.

I see in the notes that you said there is partial vray support, I dont want anything fancy just the ability to clean cut a bunch of geometry at once at render time with vray. Will the paid for one achieve this at the moment?

Many thanks

11 November 2012
Originally Posted by rob rhodes: Does the latest paid for version work with Vray now? Just got round to trying the free version to see if its going to work for me but the camera position seem to shift when using it with vray.

I see in the notes that you said there is partial vray support, I dont want anything fancy just the ability to clean cut a bunch of geometry at once at render time with vray. Will the paid for one achieve this at the moment?

Many thanks

The VRAY support is available from v0.34a, it is only partial because at the moment it is not possible to support the Opaque when Shadowing with VRAY.

rBoole always worked with VRAY as a shader (you just had to manually set the shader and invert the alpha). With v0.34 the rBoole tag and object work automatically with VRAY.

I do not know of any bugs with VRAY. If you have a scene showing a bug please PM me or contact us through our site so that we can fix it.

We don't have a free and paid version, we simply ask that users fairly use and pay for the plugins rather than enforcing a license and serial number.

Thanks.

Last edited by obeardy : 11 November 2012 at 11:50 AM.

11 November 2012
Rob, we use it ourselves since the first release of rBoole in V-Ray, as shader simple in alpha, works fine.
is a great plugin i just can recommend

cheers
stefan
http://rhino.io

01 January 2013
Hello David,

I've been testing rBoole and I have to say that it is great. One limitation I found, when used in conjunction with mograph and render instances is activated, is that rBoole does not work. I've attached a few screen shots to clarify the issue.

Thanks in advanced,

josé
Attached Images
File Type: png rboole and mograph.png (39.1 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg render instance off.jpg (49.4 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg render instance on.jpg (42.6 KB, 20 views)

01 January 2013
Originally Posted by jespizua: Hello David,

I've been testing rBoole and I have to say that it is great. One limitation I found, when used in conjunction with mograph and render instances is activated, is that rBoole does not work. I've attached a few screen shots to clarify the issue.

Thanks in advanced,

josé

Thanks, I'll take a look. It is probably a limitation that can be fixed for the next update. rBoole is due an update soon.

01 January 2013
Thanks David, would be great to have this feature.

One more question if you don't mind. I'm using Cinema4D Student which does not support serialized plugins, is the paid version of rBoole serialized or is the same as the trial?.

Have a nice day,

josé

01 January 2013
Originally Posted by jespizua: Thanks David, would be great to have this feature.

One more question if you don't mind. I'm using Cinema4D Student which does not support serialized plugins, is the paid version of rBoole serialized or is the same as the trial?.

Have a nice day,

josé

Our plugins require no key or serial number. It is something I've always wanted to try out. Software with "protection" always gets cracked anyway, so we're trying out using no "protection" and just making the plugins available for download. All we do to try and make it worth paying (other than pure honesty from users) is to offer support and a more recent version of our plugins/docs. In the main downloads on our site are the full plugins, but slightly older versions. We also don't set a fixed payment, as you said, your using a student version so what is affordable to you may be very different to someone with a studio version.

Hope this helps, sorry for the ramble, turned out longer than I intended!

Thread Closed share thread