Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 09-17-2012, 06:31 PM   #1
Shane W
PRO

Shane Wiersma
oddlyeven
USA

Snapping in 14

With the new snapping in 14 do you always need to snap from the object axis? Lets say I have two cubes and they both have the axis in the center. I want to snap the corner of one cube to the corner of the other cube. Is there a way to do this without moving the object axis?

Thanks,

-Shane
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen-Shot-2012-09-17-at-2.28.11-PM.jpg (57.1 KB, 34 views)

Old 09-17-2012, 06:45 PM   #2
3DKiwi
Expert

Nigel Doyle
New Zealand

No.

This is one of the weaknesses of C4D's modelling axis / axis system being the same thing. In modo for example the object axis (called a center) is different than the modelling axis.

3DKiwi

Old 09-17-2012, 06:46 PM   #3
mayajunky
Addicted for life

portfolio
Brian Metzger
Advanced Product Engineer
Douglas Machine
Alexandria, USA

Seems you'd just have to be in point mode ( component mode ), with your vertex selected, and point snapping on.

All my favorites ~ Cinema 4D R13, After Effects, Photoshop CS5, Lightroom, Photomatic

Old 09-17-2012, 06:48 PM   #4
Mike Abbott
Mike Abbott
United Kingdom

You've got to make your objects editable - then you'll be able to snap to the points, edges etc.

See: http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=1069772

Old 09-17-2012, 07:07 PM   #5
Shane W
PRO

Shane Wiersma
oddlyeven
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DKiwi
No.

This is one of the weaknesses of C4D's modelling axis / axis system being the same thing. In modo for example the object axis (called a center) is different than the modelling axis.

3DKiwi

Boooo!

Old 09-17-2012, 07:08 PM   #6
Shane W
PRO

Shane Wiersma
oddlyeven
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Abbott
You've got to make your objects editable - then you'll be able to snap to the points, edges etc.

See: http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=1069772

They are editable. I am talking about snapping objects together when you are NOT in point mode.

Old 09-17-2012, 07:19 PM   #7
Cometsoft
Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane W
They are editable. I am talking about snapping objects together when you are NOT in point mode.

Yeah, you're right doesn't work. Not sure which is easier, create a null parent move that to the edge/poly/point you want to use or just move the axis and then do an axis to center. Maybe someone did a script?

Old 09-17-2012, 07:29 PM   #8
Mike Abbott
Mike Abbott
United Kingdom

Quote:

Sorry - should have looked at your image ;

An easy way to do this is to be in point mode - then select all (Ctl A) and drag one point - which will then snap to another object vertex.

Old 09-17-2012, 08:24 PM   #9
Cometsoft
Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Abbott
Sorry - should have looked at your image ;

An easy way to do this is to be in point mode - then select all (Ctl A) and drag one point - which will then snap to another object vertex.

Nice tip, that works well. Thanks.

Old 09-17-2012, 09:09 PM   #10
bezo
PRO

portfolio
Lubo Bezek
Slovakia

re:

...or (works with primitives) create new Null object,with Snap attach to desired corner/point of first cube, then put this cube under this Null (in OM) and again with Snap attach to second cube...;-)

br, Lubo

Old 09-17-2012, 11:02 PM   #11
3DKiwi
Expert

Nigel Doyle
New Zealand

I think it's just easier to move the axis. Then, should you need it back in the middle of the object you just use Axis Center > Axis To to center it. Saves messing around with nulls.

3DKiwi

Old 09-17-2012, 11:20 PM   #12
Shane W
PRO

Shane Wiersma
oddlyeven
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DKiwi
I think it's just easier to move the axis. Then, should you need it back in the middle of the object you just use Axis Center > Axis To to center it. Saves messing around with nulls.

3DKiwi

Yes I agree, moving the axis works. This seems like a huge oversight on Maxon's part. This is very basic functionality that Cinema should have.

-Shane

Old 09-17-2012, 11:33 PM   #13
hsrdelic
Game, set and mesh

portfolio
Hrvoje
Split, Croatia

Yes, it could be a bit better. Good thing is that once you have snapping enabled you can hit L and quickly click on components to reposition the axis, hit L again and snap. I usually hit center axis after that with shortcut combo which works pretty well.

Cheers

Old 09-17-2012, 11:41 PM   #14
chi
Modernism at my brains

portfolio
Patrick Goski
Community Ambassador (North America)
MAXON Computer Inc.
Montreal, Canada

Send a message via MSN to chi
Quote:
Yes I agree, moving the axis works. This seems like a huge oversight on Maxon's part. This is very basic functionality that Cinema should have.

-Shane

AFAIK it is not something that you can just plug in...I would suspect that would call for a complete change in how objects are currently handled. Essentially it would have to store another set of transforms for your object.

I'm sure it would be less oversight and more of working with what we have got until there is time to do something new.

Another alternative, if you need to maintain a very specific location for the object axis is to make a null a child of your object, center it (shift+c (reset PSR)).

Then go to town with snapping / moving the axis. (hold "l" and click on any component to snap the axis to that component).

Once you are finished you can select the null hit shift+c again and search for "center parent to"

Also, register your want for improvement via the suggestion form on MAXON.net (I say this all the time )
I know it can seem like a black hole at times, but it really does count!

Old 09-18-2012, 08:33 AM   #15
bunk
Know-it-All

Create a null
Snap it to the object vertex.
Select both null and object
In the viewport activate the mini axis of the null.
Snap it to your corner.
Done
Seems easy enough

But I do have another problem

There seems to be some new behavior with snapping. Where ever I click the mouse in space to start dragging, the selected object will jump to. To me this is unwanted behavior, as I now have a mouse pointer over boundary box over a white circle connected to a line over an axis over an object.

Now that I no longer can see the place I want to snap to …is there a way to disable this new behavior?

Thread Closed share thread