Easy way to generate materials from RGB palette?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 09 September 2012   #1
Easy way to generate materials from RGB palette?

I often have jobs where I have to recreate a "3D Version" of a color palette someone made in Illustrator. Does anyone know of a fast way of generating materials, say 20 Default materials, with the RGB values in either Color or Luminance set to match the various RGB values of a color palette? Of course I can do this manually one RGB value at a time, but it's tedious and I'm lazy!

Old 09 September 2012   #2
Hi Indeed, maybe not as fast as you'd like,
but on MAC (don't know there's something like this on PC, sorry)

Create new material, click on the colour preview to get the colour picker,
now click on the colour preview in the popup so you get the MAC OS colour picker,
click on the little magnifying glass to the left, now you can click + pick on any colour anywhere on your screen.

I would keep the RGB chart open in the background or on a second monitor, so you can quickly click on the colour you need.

Create new material, click click click… New material… click click etc

Hope that helps, at least this should be quicker then inputting all values by hand, good luck!
[UP]

Old 09 September 2012   #3
There's a plugin over at Cineversity called "SwIm"

It imports Adobe swatches into C4D - maybe that would help

Old 09 September 2012   #4
Neat

Thanks for both replies! UP, I did not know about that! I just tried it and it would be great except the RGB values the pickers sees do not exactly match with what is in Illustrator in the background. I messed around a lot with the Color profile settings in both apps, and got them closer (within 20 rgb points of correct in each field), but couldn't figure out how to get them to match.

Old 09 September 2012   #5
Hhhhmm… It crossed my mind the values may not be 100% accurate…
but didn't test it to be sure before replying.

That sucks though…

I just did a very quick test just to confirm the issue you mention (no time to fiddle around atm) and I did notice when I pick the colours on the same monitor as the C4d file the values are a LOT closer then when I pick them from the secondary monitor (which would be more convenient obviously).

They're still off, just not as much…
Hope there's a way to fix this though, please post if you find a solution.
(will try later myself if I find some time)

[UP]

Old 09 September 2012   #6
re:

somethimes could help (with colours) this plugin ColourTable (do not remember, but I think support external colour palette data...

http://code.google.com/p/colourtable/wiki/OverView

br, Lubo

Old 09 September 2012   #7
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread