Hiding the sky, but not its GI?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

09 September 2012
Hiding the sky, but not its GI?

Hi there.
I am making a scene. I have a background object with a picture of a street. That is the background.

I have a 3D object (a car, actually) in the scene. I in put a light to light the car, but I also want to have a sky object in the scene to generate some global illumination and AO so that the dark areas of the car don't get so dark. (sort of like a fill light).

The problem is, that when I put the sky in it hides what's on the background. Therefore, the question is, how can I get the GI from the sky to effect the scene without completely obscuring the background.

Thanks,

Joe.

09 September 2012
Use a compositing tag.

09 September 2012
Thank you Pers. I realize that the compositing tag would be useful to hide the sky in the compositing program, but is there a way to hide the sky in order to see the background image in the viewport?

This way we can do test renders without having to composite it. Do you know what I mean?

09 September 2012
Compositing tag isn't (only) for external composting apps (actually there's a special external compositing tag for that), it is made exactly for what you describe.

Add the tag to your sky, uncheck "seen from camera" and leave "seen by GI" on and that's it. It will compute the light, but won't be seen in your render, hence leaving your background visible.

09 September 2012
Thanks Eric!

Best,

Joe.

Last edited by JoeHerman : 09 September 2012 at 07:30 PM.

09 September 2012
Originally Posted by JoeHerman: Thanks Eric, Like your avatar says, you are a know-it-all!

The manual is a good candidate for looking up information of features with only two clicks too...honestly!

09 September 2012
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread