R14: Scaling changes parameter values

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

09 September 2012
R14: Scaling changes parameter values

Back so soon

When scaling an extrude object (quite a few generators seem to do the same such as MoText) all the Movement parameters increase along with it including the zero values, so if I have an extrude along Z and I scale up the extrude X and Y start to get values.

Example here

Thought I'd check before I report it as a bug. Can't find any info on this behavior anywhere.

R14.025

cheers
brasc

09 September 2012
Just had it happening on a lathe NURBS, where this time it increases the movement value, which is only subtle but breaks the loop. Can anyone replicate this?

cheers
brasc

09 September 2012
You're in Model Mode. Switch to Object mode and everything will be fine.

This is not R14 specific.

In Model mode, the scale value doesn't change. This is a beautiful, underrated feature and one of the reasons I love C4D over other packages. It can be annoying if you don't know what's going on, but just be aware of which mode you're in and you'll be fine.

09 September 2012
It is R14 specific because it doesn't happen in R13 and all the previous versions I've ever used.
I think you've missed the fact it's increasing the zero values, not the ones I want to scale with the rest. I also don't like using object mode due to the nightmare it causes later on with non-1:1 scale values

cheers
brasc

09 September 2012
Testing using the same scene in both, scaling increases zero values in R14.025 and not in R13.

Has to be a bug.

09 September 2012
Same problem here. Could be a big problem if you don't know about it.

C4D XL, ZBrush, Motion Builder

09 September 2012
It was probably being viewed as a bug the other way around and so they must have "fixed" it.

It makes sense though - if you're scaling up, the object should scale up - in either mode, and regardless of its current scale value.

I don't have R14. What about object mode? Does it scale up objects from 0? If it doesn't then it's probably a bug. If it does, then it's definitely a deliberate change.

Perhaps a workflow adjustment would be needed to accommodate for this change.

Last edited by eikonoklastes : 09 September 2012 at 07:54 AM.

09 September 2012
looks like a bug to me - unless they've invented a completely new mathematics in Germany...

09 September 2012
The best way to see this problem is to put a half circle spline into a lathe nurbs and scale the lathe nurbs up a lot. then have a look at the join where the 0 and 360 meet. Not nice.

C4D XL, ZBrush, Motion Builder

09 September 2012
Originally Posted by jimzepellin: The best way to see this problem is to put a half circle spline into a lathe nurbs and scale the lathe nurbs up a lot. then have a look at the join where the 0 and 360 meet. Not nice.

Yeah, this definitely looks like pathological behavior. I don't see any reason why this would be a desirable/deliberate change, given the problems it causes.

09 September 2012
Howdy,

It looks like it's working fine in R14.014, but not in R14.025.

Adios,
Cactus Dan

cactus3d.com, cactus3d-Plugins, CD Character Plugins forum

09 September 2012
Thanks for confirming it's a bug guys, just submitting the report now.

cheers
brasc

09 September 2012
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread