Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 09-13-2012, 05:41 PM   #1
eikonoklastes
Green

portfolio
eikonoklastes
USA

General Rambling: Bizarre C4D Dialog

Has anyone been caught off guard by the dialog that comes up when you try to open a file that's already open?

The message I'd expect in such a scenario would be: "This file is already open: a) Switch to it. b) Open a Copy.

Instead, we get this weirdness:
Do you want to open it with the same name and title? Yes, No, Cancel...

Honestly, who came up with this dialog? Does clicking 'Yes' open the same file? No, it doesn't. It opens a copy with the same name! So what happens when you save? Does it overwrite the same file? Yes it does!! So you have 2 versions of the same file with the same name open! If you accidentally load the older file (you know, because it has the exact same name) and save over that, it will overwrite all your changes! When is this situation possibly desirable?

Ok, so clicking 'Yes' opens a copy. That must mean the other buttons do something else. Nope. Clicking 'No' also opens a copy! Just with a different name. Really, who did come up with this interface?

Also, what exactly is the difference between a "name" and a "title"? They both sound like the same thing. Does clicking 'No' mean open with the same name but different title? Or vice-versa?

It's just chaos.

Fortunately 'Cancel' does exactly what it should do - cancel the madness with NO changes to anything.

Ok, I'm done.

Last edited by eikonoklastes : 09-13-2012 at 06:23 PM.

Old 09-13-2012, 06:23 PM   #2
interactiveBoy
Expert

portfolio
Gary Ingle
Animator / Composer
Nashville, USA

Hahahaha! I've had those same thoughts for years now.

I always hit cancel because the other two choices leave me uncomfortable.

Old 09-13-2012, 06:29 PM   #3
LucentDreams
lover of gophers

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Kai Pedersen
Lighting Lead
Double Negative
Vancouver, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by eikonoklastes
Has anyone been caught off guard by the dialog that comes up when you try to open a file that's already open?

The message I'd expect in such a scenario would be: "This file is already open: a) Switch to it. b) Open a Copy.

Instead, we get this weirdness:
Do you want to open it with the same name and title? Yes, No, Cancel...

Honestly, who came up with this dialog? Does clicking 'Yes' open the same file? No, it doesn't. It opens a copy with the same name! So what happens when you save? Does it overwrite the same file? Yes it does!! So you have 2 versions of the same file with the same name open! If you accidentally load the older file (you know, because it has the exact same name) and save over that, it will overwrite all your changes! When is this situation possibly desirable?

Ok, so clicking 'Yes' opens a copy. That must mean the other buttons do something else. Nope. Clicking 'No' also opens a copy! Just with a different name. Really, who did come up with this interface?

Also, what exactly is the difference between a "name" and a "title"? They both sound like the same thing. Does clicking 'No' mean open with the same name but different title? Or vice-versa?

It just chaos.

Fortunately 'Cancel' does exactly what it should do - cancel the madness with NO changes to anything.

Ok, I'm done.

Name and title is redundantly redundant if you ask me, but outside of that the question makes sense.

do you want to open with the same name?
Yes - Open a second instance of the file with the exact same name (why you'd want it, I agree, don't see a reason for it)
No - Open file without the same name I don't have C4D in front of me but I believe it renames it untitled #
Cancel - I don't need to open this file

i agree that a switch to already open file would be useful.

Old 09-13-2012, 10:03 PM   #4
rustEdge
that guy

portfolio
Gene Carlo Magtoto
Digital Designer, Cinema4D TD & Animator
freelance
Vancouver, Canada

Send a message via Yahoo to rustEdge
Aye, it would've been great if they didn't use the stock Yes/No/Cancel text. At least with the XRef dialog box there's extra notes with what Yes and No will do.

They could fix it a bit, like buttons labeled "same name" "different name" instead of yes/no. At least the words are short enough to fit in buttons.

When I see that 'file is already open' dialog I just instinctively spam Esc on my keyboard and look for the open file. I'd rather spend more time manually checking than accidentally overwriting something important.

Old 09-13-2012, 10:03 PM   #5
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread