New Plugin: Genome

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 09 September 2012   #1
New Plugin: Genome

At it's core, Genome is a modified cloner object that allows users to dynamically manipulate every single property of each individual cloned object.

While a standard cloner object merely creates instances of a source object, Genome creates actual duplicates that reside in your object browser. With a bit of Xpresso, users can manipulate the properties of any clone, either individually or in a group of clones specified by the user.

Two minute demo video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sM97_1kjzPs

For more info:
http://aescripts.com/genome/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Genome v1.jpg (56.5 KB, 24 views)

Old 09 September 2012   #2
Looks interesting,
could you give us an actual example
where Genome can help do something which
would be impossible with a Cloner Object?
I am asking, because your example video is showing
workflows which are also possible with a Cloner.

Old 09 September 2012   #3
I haven't watched all the video examples yet, just the 2minute introduction.
Am curious if you can animate ( override ) cloned rigs separately ( uniquely ), in an xRef fashion where you'd be able to update the rig in the clone source, and have it propagate the updates to the cloned children, while maintaining the unique keying on each child rig?
Thanks!

All my favorites ~ Cinema 4D R13, After Effects, Photoshop CS5, Lightroom, Photomatic

Old 09 September 2012   #4
Originally Posted by typografschaft: Looks interesting,
could you give us an actual example

Same questions here.
Anything different from what Per Anders' Clone-Info-Hierarchy allows us to do already ?

Old 09 September 2012   #5
Originally Posted by mayajunky: Am curious if you can animate ( override ) cloned rigs separately ( uniquely ), in an xRef fashion where you'd be able to update the rig in the clone source, and have it propagate the updates to the cloned children, while maintaining the unique keying on each child rig?
Thanks!

I'm not sure if I understand your question completely, but if you create keyframes on your source object, those keyframes will be copied onto your children, as Genome is just creating carbon copies of your source object.

However, I don't think you'll be able to directly manipulate or override those keyframes on a specific clone because Xpresso doesn't have any keyframe control nodes.

You could create two user sliders on an object that is outside of Genome, and via xpresso use slider A to control a specific subset of clones, then use slider B to control the remaining clones.This would allow you to have two sets of keyframes for your clones.

Originally Posted by typografschaft: could you give us an actual example

I'm only aware of one or two workflows that might allow you to manipulate a clone's user sliders on a clone-by-clone basis. But the quantity of unresolved forum posts asking "How do I control a specific property on a specific clone" suggests that these techniques are either unheard of by many, quite difficult to perform, or just not very popular.

I'm hoping that Genome provides an easy to use answer to those posts.

Old 09 September 2012   #6
Originally Posted by douwe: Same questions here.
Anything different from what Per Anders' Clone-Info-Hierarchy allows us to do already ?

From what I understand, Per Ander's script creates null objects that are attached to the position of each clone. While you can parent outside elements to the position of said clones or export the position of those clones to After Effects, you could not change any of the actual properties of the clones. (Am I missing a big feature of this script?)

As a real life example for Genome:
Right now I'm in the midst of creating a fully procedural book rig for a C4Dtools developer request. Each page of the book needed to be a rig in itself, as each page had to have it's own bend deformer for the 'page turn', an additional bend deformer for curling the pages' corners, an FFD to determine the general shape of the page, splines to determine where and how the deformers will move across the page, sliders to make the deformers move, etc, etc, etc.

Right now my rig has 12 objects per page as well as 15-20 user controls for that specific page. All of these controller objects need to be available for every page, and be able to be triggered or adjusted on a page by page basis so that every individual aspect of those pages can be changed by the user. And this is what Genome allows.

Old 09 September 2012   #7
Originally Posted by LukeLetellier: From what I understand, Per Ander's script creates null objects that are attached to the position of each clone. While you can parent outside elements to the position of said clones or export the position of those clones to After Effects, you could not change any of the actual properties of the clones. (Am I missing a big feature of this script?)

I think you missed that one :-)
All Per Anders's script is doing is to transfer PSR attributes from clones
and making copies of everything you drop into the hierarchy, so by extending
Per's xpresso setup you can of course manipulate other parameters
or userdata sitting on every object.

There are two problems with the script sitting inside the xpresso setup from Per.
First, you can't drop in hierarchies and second it generates the copies
on every frame new, which isn't necessary if you have a steady clone count.
The former was resolved by douwe, the latter by a user named yakuza
from c4dboard.com (german c4d forum).

Old 09 September 2012   #8
Originally Posted by LukeLetellier: Right now my rig has 12 objects per page as well as 15-20 user controls for that specific page. All of these controller objects need to be available for every page, and be able to be triggered or adjusted on a page by page basis so that every individual aspect of those pages can be changed by the user. And this is what Genome allows.

I am not sure if one needs any effector from mograph in this instance.
You could perfectly make the whole rig without any Cloner/Fracture object,
just with pure xpresso. You can even use the MoGraph Shader's without having
a single Cloner or Fracture Object in your hierarchy.

Please don't understand this as bashing your script/plugin :-)

Old 09 September 2012   #9
Originally Posted by LukeLetellier: From what I understand, Per Ander's script creates null objects that are attached to the position of each clone. While you can parent outside elements to the position of said clones or export the position of those clones to After Effects, you could not change any of the actual properties of the clones. (Am I missing a big feature of this script?)

Clone-Info-Hierarchy basically allows you to set up the same functionality that you show in Genome.
It generates Physical Copies of whatever Object (or Hierarchy) you throw at it, which allows you to both control their PSR with the MoGraph system and any other Parameters with Xpresso.
With a little tweaking there's a lot you can do with it.
I have seen people extend it to do some really amazing things.

We (Yader, Brian and me) are very much aware of the limitations of the MoGraph system when it comes to Instancing.
We're hoping for Genome to offer something that extends what can already be done with the tools we have. That's why we're so on top of you ( sorry for that ; ) )

That said, even if there's nothing new to Genome (yet), I think you're doing some interesting explorations there. If you manage to automate the setup more in a future version, this may turn into a nice and easy shortcut for something that is still relatively elaborate to set up.

Not sure what you have in mind with your book rig, looking forward to see that.

Keep it coming,
d

Old 09 September 2012   #10
FYI, modifying a document's structure (inserting, removing of objects, materials etc.) dynamically by expressions or objects is risky in a multi-threaded app like CINEMA 4D. It's not recommended to do so as it can lead to crashes. Just think of a thread removing something from the document where at the same time another thread accesses the document.

In any case you need to be aware of multi-threading and its consequences.

Just thought I point this out.

cheers,
Matthias

Old 09 September 2012   #11
Originally Posted by typografschaft:
There are two problems with the script sitting inside the xpresso setup from Per.
First, you can't drop in hierarchies and second it generates the copies
on every frame new, which isn't necessary if you have a steady clone count.
The former was resolved by douwe, the latter by a user named yakuza
from c4dboard.com (german c4d forum).

Can you point me to that thread please..

Plugin looks useful. I too rely on Clone-Info-Hierarchy for a lot of tasks, but it has its limitations.

Old 09 September 2012   #12
Originally Posted by douwe: Clone-Info-Hierarchy basically allows you to set up the same functionality that you show in Genome.
It generates Physical Copies of whatever Object (or Hierarchy) you throw at it, which allows you to both control their PSR with the MoGraph system and any other Parameters with Xpresso.
With a little tweaking there's a lot you can do with it.
I have seen people extend it to do some really amazing things.

We (Yader, Brian and me) are very much aware of the limitations of the MoGraph system when it comes to Instancing.
We're hoping for Genome to offer something that extends what can already be done with the tools we have. That's why we're so on top of you ( sorry for that ; ) )

That said, even if there's nothing new to Genome (yet), I think you're doing some interesting explorations there. If you manage to automate the setup more in a future version, this may turn into a nice and easy shortcut for something that is still relatively elaborate to set up.

Not sure what you have in mind with your book rig, looking forward to see that.

Keep it coming,
d

Ahhh, makes much more sense now. I wish Per had mentioned that (HUGE) feature on his download page (http://www.per-anders.net/w/index.p...ulls_on_Mograph). I had used the script before to generate nulls, but had no idea you could generate whatever objects you want instead of those nulls. If I had known that, I might have formed the plug-in a bit differently.

For those watching from home: there a few advantages that Genome offers over the script (at least, from how I understand it as of now). Most of them are there to help you save time:

- Automatic creation of hierarchy nodes and Reference nodes pre-programmed to iterate through your hierarchies (no need to set the start paths and iteration paths, etc)
- Cloner conversion: Start your work with a standard cloner object, and automatically merge it into Genome when the time is right.
- 'Genome Anchor' Xpresso node: when duplicating Xpresso setups, your object nodes will automatically refer to the original source objects, not the duplicates. The Genome anchor node helps you ensure that the object nodes are referring to the correct objects. Check out this video for more info: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmrOhit1L1w
- 'Solo Source' button: easily hide your clones and solo your original object for modification
- An update button. Sounds silly even mentioning it, but it's nice to make sure that what you're seeing is the actual updated view.
- The plug-in was formed for the purpose of making the modification of clones as easy as possible; future design changes and updates will be based on improving that core functionality.

Old 09 September 2012   #13
Originally Posted by LukeLetellier: I'm not sure if I understand your question completely, but if you create keyframes on your source object, those keyframes will be copied onto your children, as Genome is just creating carbon copies of your source object.

However, I don't think you'll be able to directly manipulate or override those keyframes on a specific clone because Xpresso doesn't have any keyframe control nodes.

That answers my questions, thanks. I was really just looking to be able to use a cloner, with the source object having no animation on it's user data. Then be able to have access to the user data on each clone object, to be able to animate each cloned rig uniquely. To elaborate my question a little more...

All my favorites ~ Cinema 4D R13, After Effects, Photoshop CS5, Lightroom, Photomatic

Old 09 September 2012   #14
Originally Posted by mayajunky: I was really just looking to be able to use a cloner, with the source object having no animation on it's user data. Then be able to have access to the user data on each clone object, to be able to animate each cloned rig uniquely.

Yes, this can definitely be accomplished with Genome.

Old 09 September 2012   #15
Originally Posted by ThePriest: Can you point me to that thread please..

Plugin looks useful. I too rely on Clone-Info-Hierarchy for a lot of tasks, but it has its limitations.

Sorry, it was Lennart not douwe who posted the alteration in order to
use clone info hierarchy with nested hierarchies :-)
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showpos...831&postcount=7

Thread Closed share thread