X-Particles V1.2 released

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 09 September 2012   #1
X-Particles V1.2 released

X-Particles version 1.2 released

Support for Cinema R14

X-Particles v1.2 is compatible with C4D R14. Version 1.1 will run on R14, but with some minor issues, so users are recommended to upgrade to v1.2. This is a free upgrade for registered users.

New features in v1.2

There are quite a lot of new features in v1.2. These include (this is not a complete list):

* a caching system: all the features of X-Particles are cached and the cache can be used to scrub through the animation using the timeline (try doing that in Thinking Particles!). Caching is done with a separate cache object which automatically caches all X-Particles objects in the scene;
* compatibility with Maxon's licence server;
* a new modifier called 'Change particle group' will allow you to change the group number of any particle - this is used by the other particle modifiers so that a modifier can act on one specific group of particles;
* another new modifier, 'Clear flags' does what its name suggests - clears one or more of the internal flags or switches held by each particle which determines how the particle is affected by other modifiers; its use is fully explained in the updated manual;
* a new Sound tag, which can drive the emitter birthrate and particle speed using a .WAV file;
* particle emission from an object can be controlled by a shader or by a texture tag dragged in from the object, and the particle colour can be set to the colour of the surface from which it was emitted;
* the maximum number of particles can be set by linking the emitter to any polygon object (including parametric objects) - this is useful in conjunction with the Cover/fill modifier when you want each vertex of an object to be covered with one, and only one, particle;
* in the Cover/fill modifier, coverage of an object can now be controlled with a shader or texture tag:
* the colour of the System object icon in the object manager can now be changed, this is so that if you have more than one System object in the scene, you can distinguish between them more easily:
* new buttons to reset an object to its default settings have been added to most objects;
* the Generator object now has a 'Face camera' setting;
* both the Generator and Sprite objects have a new 'Face object' setting which points the generated objects at a scene object:
* in the Action which controls the Trail object, there is a new setting to shrink the trails back to nothing and to kill the particle (if desired) when the trail has zero length.

Plus there are fixes to known bugs and the manual has been fully updated.

For more information and screenshots, please see the blog http://www.x-particle.com/?page_id=368 . You can download the manual in HTML format or try the free Lite version at http://www.x-particle.com/?page_id=299.

Old 09 September 2012   #2
Looks great.

Cian.

Old 09 September 2012   #3
Cool

Awesome sauce.

Old 09 September 2012   #4
Very nice, the caching is what I have been waiting for before buying
Since R14 still has done nothing on the particle side, this should fill the void nicely for the time being.

How does the caching work over netrender? Do I have to buy a netrender license?

Just went to buy it, but your site is down!

Old 09 September 2012   #5
Very sorry about that, the server keeps resetting its self on our domain, should be up and running again for now.

cheers
Mike

Old 09 September 2012   #6
Originally Posted by Zendorf: How does the caching work over netrender? Do I have to buy a netrender license?

The caching was written with net render in mind, and from tests done by me and the beta testers it works fine.

You don't need a licence to use x-particles over net render as it will run without needing a serial in net render clients. You only need a licence to build your scenes with it, when it comes to rendering just install it on as many clients as you like.

Steve

Old 09 September 2012   #7
And here you can find a tute from steve on the new cache object

http://www.x-particle.com/?p=612

cheers
Mike

Old 09 September 2012   #8
Fantastic release, caching is brilliant, the viewport performance once cached is so smooth.

cheers
brasc

Old 09 September 2012   #9
Originally Posted by spedler: The caching was written with net render in mind, and from tests done by me and the beta testers it works fine.

You don't need a licence to use x-particles over net render as it will run without needing a serial in net render clients. You only need a licence to build your scenes with it, when it comes to rendering just install it on as many clients as you like.

Steve

Excellent, that is exactly what I wanted to hear! My R14 package has just arrived in the mail and I haven't installed it yet because I am finding this plugin more exciting....I will just pretend that it is a new module in r14

Old 09 September 2012   #10
It's a fantastic plugin! Certainly a must buy.

Old 09 September 2012   #11
heres a new quick tutorial on the new texture options in 1.2

http://www.x-particle.com/?page_id=368

cheers
mike

Old 09 September 2012   #12
Great video! Great version!

Old 09 September 2012   #13
Thanks mate

Here are a couple more quick tips for 1.2

http://www.x-particle.com/?p=630
http://www.x-particle.com/?p=626

cheers
Mike

Old 09 September 2012   #14
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread