R14.025 Update Crashes on Startup (OSX 10.8.1)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 09 September 2012   #46
lets firstly sepreate plugin devs from plugin buyers.

It is quite ridiculous to expect plugin buyers to have to sort through their plugins and find out which ones are crashing after an update.This activity is a direct result of whatever changed in that update. From the point of view of the end user, before was ok , after was not.
How the devs rsolve these crashes is not relevant. The point is, Maxon changed something that cused a lot of agro for plugin buying end users. why not ask Holger how much time he has spent sorting out his plugins?

Now, im am sorry if you guys dont want to hear that , but it would be great if next time you could consider damage limitation before you release and not after.

If you guys cant see anything wrong with the way this was handled then there really is no point in discussing it.

regards
Paul Everett
Tools4D.com

Old 09 September 2012   #47
Paul, you assume that we did know about this before the release of 14.025, that simply wasn't the case.

Old 09 September 2012   #48
Originally Posted by tapaul: How the devs rsolve these crashes is not relevant.

Yes, it is. Because the whole problem is based on the devs not stripping out symbols from their binaries that absolutely have to be stripped.

Originally Posted by tapaul: The point is, Maxon changed something that cused a lot of agro for plugin buying end users.

Nothing has changed in the handling of plugins. The fact that the problem occurs now is coincidence. Otherwise, the problem would occur for all users, and not only for some.

Old 09 September 2012   #49
Originally Posted by Srek: Paul, you assume that we did know about this before the release of 14.025, that simply wasn't the case.

Thank you.That is my point Bjorn.

If you ignore plugins as a factor you can not expect to notice when you are about to break them.

I call out to Maxon to bring order to this chaos in the form of a plugin/app store and everythng that goes with that. Validate , unify and earn money on plugins to the point where you have a reason to keep them working.The goal being that the end user should never have to go through this kind of crap.

for example..

regards
Paul Everett
Tools4D.com

Last edited by tapaul : 09 September 2012 at 10:17 AM.

Old 09 September 2012   #50
An app shop wouldn't have made any difference.
At this time it is simply not possible to validate 3rd party plugins. This current situation is the best example where such a system wouldn't have worked anyway. With 14.014 the problem only occured very seldomly, so seldom in fact that it wasn't possible to determine the cause. The small changes in 14.025 tipped the scales and even then the problem does not always occur. Even if there were a plugin validation by Maxon it wouldn't be possible to do a complete validation run for each service update, the current problem could still have gone unnoticed.

Old 09 September 2012   #51
>An app shop wouldn't have made any difference.
it could make a difference by giving a much earlear heads up, with legitimate "safe to test with" off the shelf shop in app plugin software. Has to be better than "ignore plugins altogether..full stop..hands washed " and wonder why the sh*t hits the fan every time.

i've been doing this for 10 years now, and nothing has changed since day one.Don't you think its time for some forward thinking? for the sake of the end user? times have changed the wild west needs to get some civilization.

regards
Paul Everett
Tools4D.com

Old 09 September 2012   #52
Sorry, i won't comment any further on your ideas on how to change Maxon / 3rd party relations. That is nothing i'm involved in @ Maxon. You know whom to contact on this if you want to push your idea.

Old 09 September 2012   #53
Anyway, the time that has already been used to discuss who's fault it was, could also be used to update plugin binaries

C4D-Jack's plugin updates

Old 09 September 2012   #54
So I just updated Cinema and now it crashes every time on launch. I don't even have any plug-ins installed. I can actual open the app but as soon as I add anything to the viewport it becomes unresponsive. Anyone else getting this? It worked perfect before the last update. Thanks.

Old 09 September 2012   #55
Originally Posted by Andy1010: So I just updated Cinema and now it crashes every time on launch. I don't even have any plug-ins installed. I can actual open the app but as soon as I add anything to the viewport it becomes unresponsive. Anyone else getting this? It worked perfect before the last update. Thanks.

Hi,
i was only able to find a R13.061 crash that you sent in yesterday. No R14 crashes so i can't even guess what might cause it.
Cheers
Björn

Old 09 September 2012   #56
Originally Posted by Andy1010: So I just updated Cinema and now it crashes every time on launch. I don't even have any plug-ins installed. I can actual open the app but as soon as I add anything to the viewport it becomes unresponsive. Anyone else getting this? It worked perfect before the last update. Thanks.

Could you give an unambiguous description of problem? If it is crashing every time on launch as said in the first sentence, you certainly won't be able to even interact with it in the viewport (as the launch of the app would never finish).

Furthermore the hardware and OS version you're using would be interesting, as your second sentence points to a GL driver related problem (check if disabling OpenGL changes the responsiveness).

Best regards,

wbj

Old 09 September 2012   #57
The crash log that I sent yesterday was from work, which is still running R13. I can give you a better update once I get back home to play more. Basically, once it boots the app is fine until you add anything to the scene. All I'm doing is adding a primitive and I get the spinning beach ball and it becomes unresponsive. I have to force quite to exit. It will let me orbit around a empty viewport but as soon as you try to add anything that's when it stops. I works the same from the content browser. I'm running Macbook Air (2011) 4-2, OSX 10.8.1 and R14.025. No extra plug-ins at this point, its a brand new install.

Old 09 September 2012   #58
I'm having the same issue that Andy1010 is having:

Mac OS 10.8.1, C4D 14.025, OGL 3.2 INTEL-8.0.51. MacBook Pro, 16GB RAM, 256GB SSD.

Start up C4D with OGL on. C4D appears responsive (you can pan/orbit/zoom the viewport). Now add a simple object. Instant and complete lock-up requiring a force-quit from the Apple menu.

With OGL off, C4D appears to behave normally - objects can be added, manipulated, etc.

Old 09 September 2012   #59
Originally Posted by Andy1010: The crash log that I sent yesterday was from work, which is still running R13. I can give you a better update once I get back home to play more. Basically, once it boots the app is fine until you add anything to the scene. All I'm doing is adding a primitive and I get the spinning beach ball and it becomes unresponsive. I have to force quite to exit. It will let me orbit around a empty viewport but as soon as you try to add anything that's when it stops. I works the same from the content browser. I'm running Macbook Air (2011) 4-2, OSX 10.8.1 and R14.025. No extra plug-ins at this point, its a brand new install.

Your problem (and that of "lightdog" too) isn't related to the startup crash problem discussed in this tread.

The freeze of the viewport is caused by a bug in Apple's GL 3.2 driver for Intel graphics (this topic already was discussed in the original R14 [demo] thread: http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthr...glversion%3D210). The bug is filed @Apple, but until Apple released a fix for it, you've two possible workarounds for the bug:

1. Disable OpenGL

or

2. Please try to start Cinema from a shell (you've to open the package, go into Contents/MacOS where you find the executable), using this additional commandline argument:

-oglversion=210

This forces Cinema to fall back to GL 2.1.

Best regards,

wbj

Old 09 September 2012   #60
Thanks wbj,

To confirm, I'm running this from a terminal window:

open /Applications/MAXON/CINEMA\ 4D\ R14/CINEMA\ 4D.app/Contents/MacOS/CINEMA\ 4D --args --oglversion=210

I'm probably overlooking something pretty simple here, but OGL in C4D still shows 3.2 (and the crash is still occurring).

Thread Closed share thread