Automatic CT Medical Point Cloud Rendering in Cinema 4D

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 08 August 2012   #16
Originally Posted by DePaint: I'm wondering... could you add voxel-based organic modeling to C4D with this, or is it strictly a voxel-renderer?

If C4D included freeform 3D voxel-modeling, I might be interested in switching to C4D some day.

I am working on it. I have already created a method of creating meshes from these types of files directly within C4D.

Old 08 August 2012   #17
i'm not from a medical background so bare with me here...is it possible or would it be possible to clean up some of the noise i always see in voxel/point type renders...oftentimes there is extra scan data but doesn't always relate to the scan for example...eg in the skull vid on the sides of the box floating in space at the sides of the skull...or in the latest two images towards the bottom of the object a thin shadow like strip ...this i guess is not relevant to the object but comes in as part of the dataset/scan process...would it be possible to clean that up in someway..say like a smoothing algo or cleaning noise from main body of object etc...not sure how of course just a Q.

Henry Moore

Old 09 September 2012   #18
Originally Posted by flingster: i'm not from a medical background so bare with me here...is it possible or would it be possible to clean up some of the noise i always see in voxel/point type renders...oftentimes there is extra scan data but doesn't always relate to the scan for example...eg in the skull vid on the sides of the box floating in space at the sides of the skull...or in the latest two images towards the bottom of the object a thin shadow like strip ...this i guess is not relevant to the object but comes in as part of the dataset/scan process...would it be possible to clean that up in someway..say like a smoothing algo or cleaning noise from main body of object etc...not sure how of course just a Q.

It is possible to clean up this type of data if you were for axample going to use it to create a mesh for fursther CGI use. These first experiments were a test to see if is possible to visualize raw unchanged medical data in this way. For final work I would agree with you completely that one would need to remove non relevant data. What you often see are the tray that the patient laying on or is clothes or straps to fixate him. Another problem is that sometimes portiens of the patients skin have similar density to the internal structures your are try to show creating artifacts.

Old 09 September 2012   #19
Hey,

These results are realy great. But while I realy hope this will be a product at some time, in most cases I would simply use existing tools which would also handle filtering, meshing and so on(we use our MeVisLab platform for things like that, and somewhere I think you mentioned using Osirix). So the biggest benefit for me would be to be able to use this in final rendering. But from what i understand that's the one thing you are not aiming for, and I am a bit curious how you intent to use this in Cinema4D. Don't get me wrong, I am blown away by your results, I think it would take me some time to get exactly the same quality in MeVisLab and doing Animation is not realy the big focus of our tools (or any volumetric rendering tools I know) so I realy would like to have the ability to render this stuff in Cinema. But only seeing it in openGL somehow restricts the field of application. Or am I missing something importatnt? Anyway, keep up the good work!

And one other question slightly off topic: are you somehow related to the guys from the TU Wien? Meister Gröllers group is certainly one of the main players in GPU volumetric rendering

Old 09 September 2012   #20
Very interesting! How are the shaders applied? Are they based off some sort of density value of the scan or something like that?

I'd be interested in seeing a converted poly mesh

Old 09 September 2012   #21
Originally Posted by christianS: Hey,

These results are realy great. But while I realy hope this will be a product at some time, in most cases I would simply use existing tools which would also handle filtering, meshing and so on(we use our MeVisLab platform for things like that, and somewhere I think you mentioned using Osirix). So the biggest benefit for me would be to be able to use this in final rendering. But from what i understand that's the one thing you are not aiming for, and I am a bit curious how you intent to use this in Cinema4D. Don't get me wrong, I am blown away by your results, I think it would take me some time to get exactly the same quality in MeVisLab and doing Animation is not realy the big focus of our tools (or any volumetric rendering tools I know) so I realy would like to have the ability to render this stuff in Cinema. But only seeing it in openGL somehow restricts the field of application. Or am I missing something importatnt? Anyway, keep up the good work!

And one other question slightly off topic: are you somehow related to the guys from the TU Wien? Meister Gröllers group is certainly one of the main players in GPU volumetric rendering

Actually my plan is to create a system that integrates seamlessy into the standard rendering of C4D so that it can be part of any final scene. The reason I dont like to use the other systems is that they dont give me the results I need and they do allow for enough control as alot of the data I use is from experimental devices. I am not related to the people from TU but like there work.

Old 09 September 2012   #22
Yeah, even in sophisticated systems it is hard to get the desired look. Mostly they are quite technical and you don't get what you want out of the box.

Did you include some kind of Sub Surface Scattering? To me it looks a bit like that.

I am curious how this will develop!

Old 09 September 2012   #23
Originally Posted by christianS: Yeah, even in sophisticated systems it is hard to get the desired look. Mostly they are quite technical and you don't get what you want out of the box.

Did you include some kind of Sub Surface Scattering? To me it looks a bit like that.

I am curious how this will develop!

It is not a SSS as such but the effect is similar. In the following example of a completely different type of data set this comes out much better.

Video

Old 09 September 2012   #24
If you flesh this out (no pun intended) into the system you're describing we'll invest in it as well. We do a lot of orthopedic illustrations and animations.
HyperactiveVR
I reject your reality and substitute my own

Old 09 September 2012   #25
Originally Posted by Troyan: If you flesh this out (no pun intended) into the system you're describing we'll invest in it as well. We do a lot of orthopedic illustrations and animations.

I will keep you updated on my progress!

Old 09 September 2012   #26
Originally Posted by cglittenberg: It is not a SSS as such but the effect is similar. In the following example of a completely different type of data set this comes out much better.

Video

I must say, that visualization makes the traction on the retina from the vitreous body very clear; Bravo!

Old 09 September 2012   #27
Your intelligence & creativity combined here astounds me, just very interesting stuff i've not seen before, you could revolutionize medical visualizations with this kind of thing.

Old 09 September 2012   #28
Thank you!

Old 10 October 2012   #29
Hello,

I am looking for a way to import models that comes from Xenodream 3D in .csv format, a point position format and color data of each point.

The plugin you're working can read this format?

Cheers

Diego

Old 10 October 2012   #30
Originally Posted by dieGolum: Hello,

I am looking for a way to import models that comes from Xenodream 3D in .csv format, a point position format and color data of each point.

The plugin you're working can read this format?

Cheers

Diego

Not directly. But I have done something similar before. What I would do is import the csv into imagej as a text image. Then export it as an image sequence. That can be imported into C4D.

Thread Closed share thread