New Mac Graphics Card Advice

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 08 August 2012   #16
Originally Posted by ChrisCousins: It's hard to judge objectively, but I've not spotted major differences after upgrading to ML, except the enhanced OpenGL seems a little more 'enhanced', transparency works better etc.

Here's a Cinebench vs OSX graph from my machine, just made for my own reference really but showing that there's no huge gains/losses either way, with that machine.

legend? chris...what is what on that bar chart albeit everything is minor changes

Henry Moore

Old 08 August 2012   #17
Originally Posted by flingster: legend? chris...what is what on that bar chart albeit everything is minor changes

Score on the left, OSX version on the bottom.

Old 08 August 2012   #18
Originally Posted by PhoenixCG: Score on the left, OSX version on the bottom.

Doh...
lol...sorry..yes..thanks for that.

Henry Moore

Old 08 August 2012   #19
Hi All,

to the ones, who are interested in a PC card for their Mac Pros.

I did a research some weeks ago, because I read something in some forums and stumbled over this site .
Read that ! It also works for users with just OS X Lion, but they need to do some little work.

Compare to my old card (GTX 285) the performance is stunning !!!
Especially in Adobe products like After Effects or if you have plugins, that uses Cuda like TurbulenceFD those cards play their whole benefit.
Cinebench on the other side, shows me similar results like my old GTX 285, that I actually don't understand... It's a little faster, but should fly also here.
Maybe Maxon has to optimize this in a future update...

Best

Serge

Old 08 August 2012   #20
Originally Posted by serge-m: Cinebench on the other side, shows me similar results like my old GTX 285, that I actually don't understand...

I think that is maybe to do with he current iteration of CB being based on 11.5. When that was current, I don't think OSX even fully supported OGL2, so the OGL support in the Mac version of Cinema was probably not set up for anything beyond that. Just a guess though...

Now that we are 2.5 versions later, maybe Maxon will release a new CB based on R14.

Thanks for that link!
OSX 10.10.5
C4D R18 Studio/CC/VizRT
Will's Works

Old 08 August 2012   #21
Cinebench is a little misleading, they show the top GPU scores going to ATI with scores in the high 90's, but the GTX 570 scores in the mid 50's. I don't know what is going on there but I can say that the consensus is that the GTX 580 is a good buy for 3D work.

Old 08 August 2012   #22
Forgive the newbness (us Mac users have never had any significant options on cards)

If the GTX 570 is being recommended - is this a price/performance thing
or should we look at the 670 and 680? if finances permit?

tia

Paul

PS - This is definitely a thread were some developer info from Maxon would be very welcome!

Old 08 August 2012   #23
The 600 series cards were a disappointment from a business standpoint, but they are outstanding for gaming. The Quadro and the Tesla are both built off of the GeForce framework and now they seem to be dumbing down their GeForce cards a little to much in order to boost sales of their higher end cards for professional 3D use.

Old 09 September 2012   #24
Originally Posted by PhoenixCG: The 600 series cards were a disappointment from a business standpoint, but they are outstanding for gaming. The Quadro and the Tesla are both built off of the GeForce framework and now they seem to be dumbing down their GeForce cards a little to much in order to boost sales of their higher end cards for professional 3D use.

Appreciate the feedback - but I've got to say I am still in the dark re cards.

I would hope that as Maxon has some recommendations as to the optimal card for Mountain Lion MacPros, and would post here. No point in splashing out on what 'appears' to be a much better card than the ATI 5870, only to find its not being made use of effectively by C4D and the 5870 is still one of the best options for the current line of Mac Pro Desktops.

Old 09 September 2012   #25
OpenGL Scores are as much CPU dependent as GPU, I've increased my OGL score by massively by clocking up the CPU. So if you're running an older lower clocked CPU, the scores can be a little disappointing with a new card.

If I was to boil it down, go Nvidia if you use the Adobe Package or any programs that benefit from CUDA, go AMD if you're just using C4D, they are just better suited to OpenGL computing. I have both on Win7+8 systems so it may differ with CUDA drivers etc on Mac.

Old 09 September 2012   #26
Performance gains of a gtx 580 from what I've seen on a Mac were definitely a step up from the 285, but still almost completely useless for high poly environments imho. If I have to use display tags everywhere to navigate a 20 million poly scene, that bothers me tremendously.

Old 09 September 2012   #27
Originally Posted by ThePriest: Performance gains of a gtx 580 from what I've seen on a Mac were definitely a step up from the 285, but still almost completely useless for high poly environments imho. If I have to use display tags everywhere to navigate a 20 million poly scene, that bothers me tremendously.

The thing is,

that there is a huge difference in the new After Effects plugin Element 3D (from VideoCopilot).
With my old GTX 285 I came soon to the limits with some objects, but with the GTX 580 I can now use A LOT !!! more high polygon objects and navigate still fluently in the scene.
I wish I could do the same in Cinema...

Best

Serge

Old 02 February 2013   #28
Serge, you have no issues with the huge power requirements of the gtx580 with your Mac Pro power supply? I've just purchased Element and will be upgrading to CS6 soon so nVidia is looking to be a necessity for me...

Old 02 February 2013   #29
Originally Posted by mustardseed: Serge, you have no issues with the huge power requirements of the gtx580 with your Mac Pro power supply? I've just purchased Element and will be upgrading to CS6 soon so nVidia is looking to be a necessity for me...

Hi Andrew,

yes-no...
The 580 is a very power consuming card. I had two complete crashes - the Mac just switched off (a savety measure)... But just two times !! And it was at the beginning.
Since months now, the card's doing it's work all the day without any grizzle. After Effects, Element 3D, Cinema and Octane - all these application challenge this card to hight performance.

If you are going to update to CS6, you have to consider, that After Effects has to identify the card thirst ! You have to do it manually, because the card is not listed within the application. It is quite easy actually: https://vimeo.com/43420088

Again: the card is worth the money and to build in into the Mac Pro ! Especially with Octane, Element 3D and all the other Cuda stuff

All the best

Serge

Old 02 February 2013   #30
serge

please consider getting a separate power supply just for your card. you mac pro is working but it cant handle it long term. what it will eventually do is fry your logic board. Search thru links on macrumors forums posted by a user called macvidcards. he is tight with nektas ( who was showing folk how to hack the cards in macpros before it was easy with mountain lion.

http://forums.macrumors.com

Note that while the GTX 480 and GTX 580 technically work, they have a TDP of 245-250W which is above what the Mac Pro can officially support (225W). If you want to use these cards, you'll probably have to drive them with an external power supply. In general, a card like the GTX 570 would be a better choice, since it has a TDP of 219W.

hope that helps

p

Thread Closed share thread