New Plugin - Spline Cluster - with Free Version

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 08 August 2012   #1
New Plugin - Spline Cluster - with Free Version

I'm releasing a plugin I've had around for a while, it's pretty much the cluster deformer but for splines. A lot of people have to use xpresso to attach spline points to objects, this greatly simplifies the process plus it's written in C++ so it runs a lot faster. We've been using it in production to attach wires to objects and it has come in very handy.

If you're interested the basic version is free and premium features can be unlocked with a serial. You can download it and learn more about it here:

http://mediaboxstudios.com/labs/spline-cluster.html

Old 08 August 2012   #2
Lots of ways to skin a cat in c4d--but the quickest ways are usually the best when the clock is ticking.
Thanks!

Old 08 August 2012   #3
liked the bit in the vid with the cube twisting spline...would be interesting to see how it copes with many many spline points in an image...thanks for a locked and unlockable version its the was to go as people can then test it and mess around if they then like/need extra functionality its available to them by chucking some money your way.

Henry Moore

Old 08 August 2012   #4
Hi!
Looks nice, one question: when you attach a spline to an object, to what exactly is the spline attached to? Can I attach the spline also to certain points of an object or vertices?
So for example, if points of an object are bein moved, will the spline follow suit only those selected points/polys?

cheers,
Squirrel

Old 08 August 2012   #5
It will attach to any object in the object manager, if the position or rotation of that object is changed the points in the spline will move to match.

If you wanted to attach a spline point to a point on an object you could use a null to control the position of the spline point and then use a constraint tag set to "clamp" to attach that null to a point on a mesh.

I suggest downloading it and playing around, you've got nothing to lose.

Old 09 September 2012   #6
Hi!
I am testing this out and wondering how you can create more splineclusters on the same spline?
If you have a spline existing of three points, and you want each point to be "parented" to three nulls. Is it possible?

I have tried with two nulls, and by adding a second spline cluster, the first spline cluster stops working.

Regards,
TorM

Old 09 September 2012   #7
@ Kevron:

Quote: Create Cluster Command - Paid Version Only

With a spline point/points selected run the command "Create Spline Cluster" from the plugins menu.

The spline cluster tag will be setup and a null object will be created that can control the points

By default the tag will take over control of all the points on the spline, to prevent this there is a restrict field. This field accepts a point selection tag. Using this field, multiple spline cluster tags can control multiple points on the same spline.

... have to type 10 characters

Old 09 September 2012   #8
TorM,

That's a feature of the paid version. There is field called "Restrict" where you put another point selection tag, often this can be the same tag that you use in the "Points" field. This is needed because of the spread feature. Spread requires modifying the position of more points than just the ones selected so it has to take over control of all the points in the spline, the restrict field allows you to limit which points it has control over.

- Carter

Old 09 September 2012   #9
Looks fun and useful, and the price is great. I'll try it out tonight!

Old 09 September 2012   #10
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread