Render Layers

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

08 August 2012
Render Elements works great, but it gives me a crash report when I close C4D (R13)

Am I the only one ?

Best,
Eric

08 August 2012
Do you have the latest version? This issue was addressed early last year.

08 August 2012
I found RE elements indispensable as well, and submitted the request to have this kind of functionality. I stopped using it after it crashed cinema on me a couple of times a day. But if Darter uses it daily.... I've been missing it on a daily basis.

C4d definitely could use be enhanced on the render side of things. It's a bit cumbersome how one has to jump through hoops to get the passes that are dependent on variation of a scene.

BTW Thanks Adam for developing it. I guess you got your inspiration from how you can define takes in Houdini.

09 September 2012
Originally Posted by Coen: I found RE elements indispensable as well, and submitted the request to have this kind of functionality. I stopped using it after it crashed cinema on me a couple of times a day. But if Darter uses it daily.... I've been missing it on a daily basis.

C4d definitely could use be enhanced on the render side of things. It's a bit cumbersome how one has to jump through hoops to get the passes that are dependent on variation of a scene.

BTW Thanks Adam for developing it. I guess you got your inspiration from how you can define takes in Houdini.

Check for the most recent version. This was an intermittent problem pre V12 and a bug I was not able to reliably reproduce. When V12 came out it crashed every time - that allowed me to figure out where the bug was coming from. It was addressed and fixed in the latest release. Hopefully that works for you.

About the inspiration, no, not from Houdini. I never used Houdini until well after this tool was written. Inspiration was taken from tools we had at Blur for 3DS Max when I was there. I doubt they still work this way though. Houdini takes are awesome, but a lot of that power comes from the integration of takes with render nodes. Having tons of overrides built in to the render nodes, as well as being able to take in plain text names for objects and use wildcard characters is super useful. C4D cannot work this way without some major changes, as internally it relies on baselinks, not node names. I have trouble picturing an elegant way to incorporate houdini style render nodes in C4D without a lot of clumsy and inefficient drag-and-drop ui's.

Anyway, getting off topic...

09 September 2012
Adam, thanks for an amazing plugin) I use it really-really often.
And if you'll ever gone to update it's functionality (looks like maxon won't do it anyway...) - can there'll be added a functionality to render each marked layer separate by each other. So after rendering - objects which stands back to front one will be rendered fully (not cropped by the object which stand in front of it). Sorry for my English)

09 September 2012
Hey Adam,

this plugin is great!
for a long time there havent been "wow" plugins, espezially workflow wise. this one is "wow" without doupt.
I would pay for it in a second if that garanteed the compatibility for future c4d versions.
... I would buy it anyway

best regards
Jops

09 September 2012
Where can one download the latest render elements?
Silo

09 September 2012
I don't mean to be rude, but you guys should stop hijacking this thread. If you want to only discuss Adam's Render Elements plugin, I suggest you start a new thread about it. This thread is meant to be about discussing the need for a native Render Layer system.

Last edited by fusepilot : 09 September 2012 at 04:49 PM.

09 September 2012
Asking about or discussing Render elements which seems to be the only temporary solution for the lack of render layers is hardly hijacking.
Silo

09 September 2012
The last nine posts have only been about discussing the plugin, not discussing the advancement of the native render system which is what this thread is about. Asking where to download the latest version brings nothing to the conversation. Have you tried google?

10 October 2012
bumping this one.
How many of you use multipass layers on a daily basis?

regards
Paul

10 October 2012
Every. Single. Render.

10 October 2012
and what is it that you are missing in the current system?

10 October 2012
Use it a lot for animations and stills and the only one functionality that is missed i've described in #50 post:
Quote: a functionality to render each marked layer separate by each other. So after rendering - objects which stands back to front one will be rendered fully (not cropped by the object which stand in front of it).

10 October 2012
The ability to split renders into passes based on Cinema's layer system, not just into the diffuse/spec/ao etc.

Thread Closed share thread