Alembic in C4D R14

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 09 September 2012   #31
Judging by this

Originally Posted by Horganovski: That's what I did in the video I made pretty much, the character meshes only were exported from Maya as an Alembic cache which bakes the animation to PLA in the Alembic format. I've also used it to import nCloth sims from Maya to Cinema and it works just as well.

It's not export only......

Old 09 September 2012   #32
We have one beta tester saying it is - and another doing tests that show it isn't - confused.
Think we need some official feedback here.

Old 09 September 2012   #33
At this time Alembic is export only.
It does say so in the feature list on the website
http://www.maxon.net/en/products/ge...4-features.html

Old 09 September 2012   #34
Thanks for clarification.

Old 09 September 2012   #35
Originally Posted by deepshade: We have one beta tester saying it is - and another doing tests that show it isn't - confused.
Think we need some official feedback here.

14.014 supports alembic export only to avoid a possible stability problem (triggered by the import part of the alembic).

Beta testers of course have access to newer versions of r14 (where this problem is fixed), before customers get them (via online updater).

Best regards,

wbj

Old 09 September 2012   #36
Originally Posted by wbj: 14.014 supports alembic export only to avoid a possible stability problem (triggered by the import part of the alembic).

Beta testers of course have access to newer versions of r14 (where this problem is fixed), before customers get them (via online updater).

Best regards,

wbj

Even clearer - thanks

Old 09 September 2012   #37
So with Alembic support in both C4D and RealFlow, does this remove the need for any loader plug-ins? That would be good.

Old 09 September 2012   #38
The R14 online update is now available and the changelog lists both Alembic Importer and Exporter as being included

cheers

Old 09 September 2012   #39
Sorry wasn't sure how much I could say here until the official announcement, but as said above it's all good now

Cheers,
Brian

Old 09 September 2012   #40
Cool.

Can anybody tell me what other possibilities this creates as far as exporting cached/baked objects from Maya? Do particles come across at all? How about objects that don't have an equal number of polygons/segments, I have branches growing in mind that I know can be accomplished in Maya far easier than C4D, and if those can be imported, that would be awesome.

Old 09 September 2012   #41
-Most- things (I haven't tried everything)
will transfer nice including meshes with
changing point count, a biggy I'd say!

The Alembic standard itself just announced
some sort of material support.
I know nothing of it, but I think the future
looks promising

Cheers
Lennart

Old 09 September 2012   #42
I'd think Lennart is correct, I'm not really a particle guy but there's a demo here (skip forward to 3min 20 sec) of a particle sim being cached in Maya with Alembic, I'm sure the point count/order is changing in a mesh like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3uxvqzUy3Q

I also did a little test here of baking an OBJ sequence with changing point count (originally generated in ZBrush, that's another story) that I had imported to Cinema via the 'enhanced xref' object (a little xpresso+xref scene that was posted here a while back for importing Blender fluid OBJ sequences into Cinema) to Alembic and the difference in interactivity was very impressive. The OBJ cache and Alembic cache were both loading off the same SSD HD but the Alembic version in Cinema was several times faster when scrubbing the scene.

Cheers,
Brian

Last edited by Horganovski : 09 September 2012 at 12:37 AM.

Old 09 September 2012   #43
Yea, changing point count is no problem
But also be aware of the ultra cool subframe
recording/reading Alembic offers. Some may know me
as a sort of re-time freak and this is just fantastic
and something I thoroughly explored in dev

As the abc mesh per definition doesn't move, motion blur
is a bit problematic, but by using the subframes in
retime expressions, like the xreTIME in the Standard
renders SubFrame Motion option one can get some very
reasonable result.

Cheers
Lennart

Old 09 September 2012   #44
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread