Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 08-07-2012, 07:12 AM   #16
Zendorf
synapse farmer
portfolio
James Redmond
Sydney, Australia

For anyone that hasn't seen it , there is an interesting demo of Alembic made by Yader:

http://vimeo.com/46776463

I hadn't really considered that Alembic would be useful as a native baking tool for C4D, so this is very promising! Hoping that this will do away with needing reliance on Nitrobake or PLAmate.

Brian, do you know if Mograph cloner setups can be baked down to a single object? Also, can you convert an Alembic cache file into a PLA object one via the bake command in the timeline?

And lastly, since it looks like we finally have an easy way to bake Thinking Particles, can Netrender access Alembic files?

cheers

Old 08-07-2012, 11:04 AM   #17
skydistortion
Frequenter
Samy
///
Bruxelles, Belgium

God bless that Alembic support in c4d.
Like the fact we can export spline, particles...Everything !

Old 08-07-2012, 04:05 PM   #18
EricM
Expert
Eric Marodon

Just read that Alembic 1.1.0 with material support is out. Will this be supported with the retail version ?

Old 08-07-2012, 04:40 PM   #19
JoelDubin
Lard of the pots
portfolio
Joel Dubin
Creative Director
MadMicrobe
United%2BStates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zendorf
For anyone that hasn't seen it , there is an interesting demo of Alembic made by Yader:

http://vimeo.com/46776463

I hadn't really considered that Alembic would be useful as a native baking tool for C4D, so this is very promising! Hoping that this will do away with needing reliance on Nitrobake or PLAmate.

Brian, do you know if Mograph cloner setups can be baked down to a single object? Also, can you convert an Alembic cache file into a PLA object one via the bake command in the timeline?

And lastly, since it looks like we finally have an easy way to bake Thinking Particles, can Netrender access Alembic files?

cheers

fantastic! This is great news

MadMicrobe
MadMograph (blog)
Behance

Old 08-07-2012, 08:07 PM   #20
flingster
cinema fan

flingster.
Sheffield, United Kingdom

some good little vids there guys...thanks for sharing

Henry Moore

Old 08-08-2012, 02:07 AM   #21
Horganovski
Freelance Animator/Rigger

portfolio
Brian Horgan
Graphite9
Dublin, Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zendorf

http://vimeo.com/47141032

Regarding converting Alembic cache object to PLA, yes if you use Lennarts 'Steadybake' plugin, it works great. It doesn't seem to work with the regular Timeline Bake command on the Alembic mesh though, although as always there are workarounds - one is to drive a dummy mesh from the Alembic cache using a PoseMorph tag (with the cached mesh as an Absolute target) and then bake that dummy mesh. Steadybake gives a simpler workflow for this though.

Cheers,
Brian

Last edited by Horganovski : 08-08-2012 at 04:36 PM.

Old 08-08-2012, 09:46 AM   #22
Zendorf
synapse farmer
portfolio
James Redmond
Sydney, Australia

Sweet, thanks Brian! Just seen that the demo is available , so can try it for myself
I am hoping that Alembic will work over Netrender as well. Will have to wait for my physical copy of R14 to arrive to try that though...

Old 09-01-2012, 09:53 PM   #23
jackb602
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Jack Bransfield
iOS Developer
Built Light
Chicago, USA

Is Alembic import disabled in the R14 demo? I'm running the demo with an activation code, and I'm able to export an Alembic file. But I see no import options, and trying to open the .abc file in Cinema results in an "Unknown file format!" error.

Old 09-02-2012, 05:26 AM   #24
threedeedom
Veteran
portfolio
Dominic Faraway
London, United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackb602
Is Alembic import disabled in the R14 demo? I'm running the demo with an activation code, and I'm able to export an Alembic file. But I see no import options, and trying to open the .abc file in Cinema results in an "Unknown file format!" error.

Same thing here with the activated R14 demo. No problem exporting the Alembic file but it won't open the file. Also the new camera calibrator doesn't respond either. I draw the grids and lines just like in the demo video but the camera remains unsolved. Assuming when the full version arrives soon it'll all work.

Old 09-05-2012, 08:06 PM   #25
threedeedom
Veteran
portfolio
Dominic Faraway
London, United Kingdom

Alembic import not working

I thought it was just the demo but received the full R14 version today. Tested Alembic again but the problem remains. I can export the .abc file but it won't import - Unknown file format message. Can't think why its not working for me. A clean install no plugins etc. Maybe its Mountain Lion jinxing it - any ideas where I'm going wrong?

Old 09-05-2012, 08:53 PM   #26
hsrdelic
Game, set and mesh

portfolio
Hrvoje
Split, Croatia

Alembic import is disabled in current release.

Cheers

Old 09-05-2012, 10:01 PM   #27
jackb602
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Jack Bransfield
iOS Developer
Built Light
Chicago, USA

I just installed R14 too, and I'm seeing the same problem. The scene I'm exporting contains a single cube and nothing else. Importing it causes the same error as before. This must be a bug.

By the way, I actually wanted to use Alembic as an easy way to bake a scene before exporting. While I was waiting for the R14 download, I picked up NitroBake. It's performed great so far.

Jack

Old 09-05-2012, 10:02 PM   #28
threedeedom
Veteran
portfolio
Dominic Faraway
London, United Kingdom

Why is it disabled?

Old 09-06-2012, 12:48 AM   #29
Cf!
PRO
Chris Frechette
Minneapolis, USA

That's disappointing. I was planning on mostly using Alembic to go out of C4D into modo, but I really hope we don't have to wait for R15 to import Alembic files. I would like to bring some animations from modo into C4D on occasion.

Old 09-06-2012, 05:41 AM   #30
deepshade
Expert
portfolio
Paul T
United Kingdom

It certainly wasn't made clear that this was export only. What's the point of having an universal exchange format and not be able to import.

Thread Closed share thread