R14 announced

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 08 August 2012   #46
AAANND...those of us with anything less than Studio are left behind again. First version of Cinema I purchased was 5.3 XL and have been slowly watching my bang for the buck degrade over time. I'm glad I got to see what my MLA would have gotten me before I renewed, but, sorry guys, not going to get renewed.

Not knocking Maxon at all. They've got a remarkable group of people and a great user base. As more of an occasional small project based user, my priorities and Maxon's have parted ways.

So good luck to all, and for those that have Studio. I'm Jealous. Enjoy your new toys!

Old 08 August 2012   #47
I may be wrong, but doesn't Bodypaint standalone have sculpting?

Cheers

Old 08 August 2012   #48
I hope nobody minds if I reverse my position on sculpting tools. I would rather not purchase mudbox from Autodesk, nor am I a big fan of zbrush's interface (it just doesn't work with my brain!). Sculpting in R14 looks totally, completely, and awesomely slick. No need to jump through file format issues, draconian DRM, or working with import plugins and bizarre interfaces.

If it's as stable as the testers are saying, sign me up immediately.

And although some of the physics enhancements may not be sexy headliner features, man those updates are going to make someone's animation job from a nightmare into a joy on more than one occasion.

Old 08 August 2012   #49
Originally Posted by laughingtotem: AAANND...those of us with anything less than Studio are left behind again. First version of Cinema I purchased was 5.3 XL and have been slowly watching my bang for the buck degrade over time. I'm glad I got to see what my MLA would have gotten me before I renewed, but, sorry guys, not going to get renewed.

Not knocking Maxon at all. They've got a remarkable group of people and a great user base. As more of an occasional small project based user, my priorities and Maxon's have parted ways.

So good luck to all, and for those that have Studio. I'm Jealous. Enjoy your new toys!

By far the most improvements apply to Visualize and Broadcast as well and Prime still gets Highlighting, Snapping, Guides, XPresso Overhaul, OGL Enhancements, Displacement Baking, new Shaders, Video Posteffects, Camera Layout, Focus Picker, Commander, Exchange options, AM improvements, new PV commands, Task/To do Manager, Camera Transition ...

Edit: Check here for an overview: http://www.maxon.net/products/gener...comparison.html
Cheers
Björn

Last edited by Srek : 08 August 2012 at 03:57 PM.

Old 08 August 2012   #50
"Enjoy enhanced integration with Adobe After Effects, with the option to directly import and export native C4D files"

As in no more .AEC?

Old 08 August 2012   #51
Fair enough Srek.

Perhaps it comes from the fact that I've always considered modeling the core of any 3d modeling and animation program. I could accept that specific tools were added to increase the usability for specific users, Character animators, ArchVis users, Motion Graphic artists etc. And if the possibility arose that any of these needs might came up, there was studio. but sculpting when it comes down to it is a modeling tool and one that would be fundamentally useful across disciplines. I realize that is a subjective view of the situation, but ah well.

Old 08 August 2012   #52
Did they fix the 2 gb file size limitation with Net Render?
HyperactiveVR
I reject your reality and substitute my own

Old 08 August 2012   #53
Originally Posted by Srek: By far the most improvements apply to Visualize and Broadcast as well and Prime still gets Highlighting, Snapping, Guides, XPresso Overhaul, OGL Enhancements, Displacement Baking, new Shaders, Video Posteffects, Camera Layout, Focus Picker, Commander, Exchange options, AM improvements, new PV commands, Task/To do Manager, Camera Transition ...

Edit: Check here for an overview: www.maxon.net/products/general-information/general-information/product-comparison.html
Cheers
Björn

I am very happy with my Visualize MSA. Really many many improvements. The only thing I´d like to see improved is S&T sometimes in the future.

Old 08 August 2012   #54
Originally Posted by Troyan: Did they fix the 2 gb file size limitation with Net Render?

This is still beeing worked on
Cheers
Björn

Old 08 August 2012   #55
I can't believe you guys didn't do a single update to Bodypaint. You had a real winner there and just let it age, age, age... I feel like a sucker for paying the maintenance, especially after the very thin "enhancements" in R13 and the fact you still haven't updated your interop plugins to work with Maya 2013 (or any of the other Autodesk products). What gives?

But lucky me, perfect timing! The Mari one day sale is in a few days so at least I won't make the same mistake twice.

-N

Old 08 August 2012   #56
Originally Posted by nbreslow: I can't believe you guys didn't do a single update to Bodypaint. You had a real winner there and just let it age, age, age... I feel like a sucker for paying the maintenance, especially after the very thin "enhancements" in R13 and the fact you still haven't updated your interop plugins to work with Maya 2013 (or any of the other Autodesk products). What gives?

They can't do all in 1 year I guess. I think this is a fine update.... Nice new tools etc....

Peace,
Rich_Art.

Old 08 August 2012   #57
Stellar upgrade. I really like where Maxon is headed with these last two releases.

The zbrush style tools were unexpected, but most welcome. I was tempted to just use zbrush 4R4 for modeling exclusively from now on, but now, this native sculpting mode will suit at least 90% of my sculpting needs.

Look forward to all the other improvements and features as well. Keep it up, Maxon, you're giving Maya and 3DMax a massive run for the money!

Old 08 August 2012   #58
Now if I could just easily navigate upstream or downstream any connection to an object...tags, etc.. (maya style graph editor ) Or search for where I have multiple instances of object nodes in an xpresso layout.. Or filter xpresso node types.. or filter broken connections... or make connections to a selection of same type nodes simultaneously.. or drag and drop nodes onto layers to color code easily ( multiple selections of course.. or just have object nodes use their referenced objects layer coloring automatically.. or maybe some grid snapping...or... Don't get me wrong, rounded corners LOOK nice.
Hmm I will admit functionally the bezier spline connections make it almost easier to track connections on a dense layout. Even though...schematics will use a different approach for improving readability.
Originally Posted by mnu: The #1 killer feature of R14: The nicest node graph in the industry!

cheers mnu

All my favorites ~ Cinema 4D R13, After Effects, Photoshop CS5, Lightroom, Photomatic

Last edited by mayajunky : 08 August 2012 at 06:21 PM.

Old 08 August 2012   #59
I excitedly upgraded to R13 because the Physical Renderer FINALLY promised true 3D motion blur and DOF, but the PR has proven to be so SLOW (even at lowest quality), I just cannot use it for animations!! Since this has not seen a significant speed bump in R14 (that I know of), I'll be sticking with R13.

I still don't understand why Lightwave has had 1 pass, FAST rendering, motion blur and DOF for over 5 years now, and C4D still can't match it! After the R14 announcement, I actually went and had a look at LW11. (But I can't live without MoGraph...)

http://www.activateyourimage.com

Old 08 August 2012   #60
I mean I don't wanna be a hater, guess I'm a little bummed about the level of the upgrade. It's not like shift-clicking to set an adjacent component point along the same linear line is a new concept in 3d applications or anything. Is funny that would be a "feature" to brag about. Is more like, yea we backfilled that, sorry it took so long. ( Keep paying those MSA's! ) I'll also agree though, I can't live without moGraph, man I was hoping for moGraph 3 to wow me though!

All my favorites ~ Cinema 4D R13, After Effects, Photoshop CS5, Lightroom, Photomatic

Thread Closed share thread