Ice Cream Fanatic

portfolio
Troyan Turner
Creative Director
The Danse Multimedia
USA

Send a message via AIM to Troyan
Plugin developers and render farms

So we just finished a huge project that was 9 minutes in stereo HD and we used 3 farms simultaneously. One farm had 180 nodes working on it. We used 5 plugins that were all installed for free on the farms. We have several more projects we're about to hit that would benefit from a plugin where the farms currently have to pay for a single full license, and in the next update, farms and users will have to pay a *per node* price. They will have discounted bundle prices, but still. We or a farm could pay 5 figures just to use the plugin on what could be just our project, or we would have to foot that bill. Is this something common in other packages that's just now coming to Cinema?
HyperactiveVR
I reject your reality and substitute my own

Old 08-01-2012, 12:59 AM   #2
stoiQa
PRO
portfolio
stoiqa.com
LA, USA

Send a message via AIM to stoiQa Send a message via Yahoo to stoiQa
...that is like 180 nodes, still trying to find these studios :P

Old 08-01-2012, 06:10 AM   #3
Srek
Some guy

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Björn Dirk Marl
Technical Design
Maxon Computer GmbH
Friedrichsdorf, Germany

Plugin developers can make their plugins be aware of running on a net client. That way a reasonable pricing scheme for render clients can be provided. I'm not sure why the developer of the plugin in question does not make use of thise.
Maybe get in contact with him and check.
Cheers
Björn

Old 08-01-2012, 06:30 AM   #4
chi
Modernism at my brains

portfolio
Patrick Goski
Community Ambassador (North America)
MAXON Computer Inc.
Montreal, Canada

Send a message via MSN to chi
To answer the other question, yes, other packages have similar issues when using third party plugins. The plugin must be installed on all nodes, and licensing is up to the third-party developers.

Old 08-01-2012, 07:08 AM   #5
c4d-jack
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Frank Willeke
Senior Developer
Berlin, Germany

Send a message via ICQ to c4d-jack Send a message via AIM to c4d-jack Send a message via Yahoo to c4d-jack
I always make my plugins run license-free on NET servers and clients.
Asking for a license on each NET node seems a bit over-the-top to me.

May I ask, Troyan, which plugin it is you're talking about?

Old 08-01-2012, 07:26 AM   #6
spedler
Know-it-All

portfolio
Steve Pedler
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by c4d-jack

Same here, X-Particles runs licence-free on net clients/servers. The way I see it, since you can't do anything other than render with a net client/server setup, it makes commercial sense for scene developers to buy the plugin knowing that they or the farm won't have to pay extra when it comes to rendering.

Some farms don't use net client/server but use the command-line renderer; in that case they would need a single licence for the plugin to work on all their machines.

Steve

Old 08-01-2012, 11:47 AM   #7
Troyan
Ice Cream Fanatic

portfolio
Troyan Turner
Creative Director
The Danse Multimedia
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srek
Plugin developers can make their plugins be aware of running on a net client. That way a reasonable pricing scheme for render clients can be provided. I'm not sure why the developer of the plugin in question does not make use of thise.
Maybe get in contact with him and check.
Cheers
Björn

I did. He hasn't provided me with insight as to why he'll be going this route yet but just that that's the route. "reasonable price" is very subjective depending on the project and how many people will be using it when farms are considering whether your project is worth it. I would think as a developer, I'd want to make it as easy as possible for users to want to put it into their regular pipeline and this approach seems counter productive.
HyperactiveVR

Old 08-01-2012, 12:41 PM   #8
Troyan
Ice Cream Fanatic

portfolio
Troyan Turner
Creative Director
The Danse Multimedia
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by c4d-jack

May I ask, Troyan, which plugin it is you're talking about?

That was my feeling as well. Since farms are there strictly to provide a service to render your project, doesn't really seem right to charge a fee simply for that purpose.

I'd rather not mention the plugin.
HyperactiveVR

Old 08-01-2012, 12:46 PM   #9
Troyan
Ice Cream Fanatic

portfolio
Troyan Turner
Creative Director
The Danse Multimedia
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by spedler
Same here, X-Particles runs licence-free on net clients/servers. The way I see it, since you can't do anything other than render with a net client/server setup, it makes commercial sense for scene developers to buy the plugin knowing that they or the farm won't have to pay extra when it comes to rendering.

Some farms don't use net client/server but use the command-line renderer; in that case they would need a single licence for the plugin to work on all their machines.

Steve

Yes, that makes sense in that case. But everyone, including me who has 4 machines here for doing small net renders, will have to pay a per node fee. Currently, whether the farm has command line or uses Net Render, the farm has to pay for a single full license. For the small farms that's a problem. A per node fee will just kill that possibility altogether and will definitely cause issues on the big farm for cost. Just seem really prohibitive for the developer and would make me not recommend it for our pipeline.
HyperactiveVR

Old 08-01-2012, 02:00 PM   #10
spedler
Know-it-All

portfolio
Steve Pedler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyan
Yes, that makes sense in that case. But everyone, including me who has 4 machines here for doing small net renders, will have to pay a per node fee. Currently, whether the farm has command line or uses Net Render, the farm has to pay for a single full license. For the small farms that's a problem. A per node fee will just kill that possibility altogether and will definitely cause issues on the big farm for cost. Just seem really prohibitive for the developer and would make me not recommend it for our pipeline.

Just to clarify, you're referring to another plugin, not x-particles here. I can't envisage that we'd ever charge anything to render over net render because the plugin could not be used for anything other than rendering. For the command-line interface, the farm does need a single licence but we've already provided at least one farm with a free licence for this purpose.

Steve

Old 08-01-2012, 02:55 PM   #11
Kuroyume0161
Code Ninja

portfolio
Robert Templeton
Computer Programmer
Kuroyume's DevelopmentZone
Loveland, USA

Send a message via Yahoo to Kuroyume0161
Same here from a plugin developer. All of my plugins require no license (or cost) to run with NET Render. Some of my plugins are currently available at four commercial render farms and provided to them free of charge.

C4D-R16, VS2012, Xcode 4.6

Old 08-01-2012, 03:39 PM   #12
Troyan
Ice Cream Fanatic

portfolio
Troyan Turner
Creative Director
The Danse Multimedia
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by spedler
Just to clarify, you're referring to another plugin, not x-particles here. I can't envisage that we'd ever charge anything to render over net render because the plugin could not be used for anything other than rendering. For the command-line interface, the farm does need a single licence but we've already provided at least one farm with a free licence for this purpose.

Steve

We are NOT talking about Xparticles. We LOVE Xparticles (we'll be more in love when Caching is working )

T
HyperactiveVR

Old 08-01-2012, 06:47 PM   #13
spedler
Know-it-All

portfolio
Steve Pedler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyan
We are NOT talking about Xparticles. We LOVE Xparticles (we'll be more in love when Caching is working )

T

Real soon now, hopefully by the time R14 is out. There'll be a new beta for you to try soon.

Steve

Old 08-02-2012, 02:00 PM   #14
Cactus Dan
Of the West

Cactus Dan Libisch
Freelance Character TD
Ferron, USA

Howdy,

In my opinion, as a plugin developer, the whole idea is to get users to feel comfortable buying and using your plugins. In the Cinema 4D community, that's a difficult enough task as it is. Requiring render farms to purchase a license for each client makes it that much more difficult for users to feel comfortable using your plugins for jobs, having to worry about whether or not the render farm will be willing to purchase that many licenses.

So, it seems to me that good business sense is to allow render farms to use the plugin for free. Most of the render farms will purchase one license for one machine in case they need to make adjustments on site to a customer's file before rendering.

That's why none of my commercial plugins require a license for Net Server or Net Clients.

Adios,
Cactus Dan

cactus3d.com, cactus3d-Plugins, CD Character Plugins forum

Old 08-02-2012, 02:00 PM   #15
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread