Old 02-19-2013, 11:55 PM   #62
maxx981
Veteran
portfolio
Irniger André
Zürich, Switzerland

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePriest
Thanks. Was just a quick one day project.
Glad the guide helped, it might need an update in a few weeks.

Nice bird and rendering!

Old 02-20-2013, 12:07 AM   #63
GruvDOne
Keeper of the Cheese

portfolio
Willie Frazier
Production Designer
Reality Check Systems
Burbank, USA

Send a message via AIM to GruvDOne Send a message via Yahoo to GruvDOne
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxx981
Btw. I do not understand, how I could "deny" something to my clients, when I was the creator of the software in the first place.

It shouldn't a difficult concept to understand. As of right now, you have 17 Mac users ready and willing to buy your product. By not offering your product on a compatible platform, you are denying these 17, and the rest of the Mac using C4D community the opportunity to use this wonderful tool, and are denying yourself some walking around money in the process.

Quote:
You have to understand, that I wrote this plugin for the joy of programming it. Currently I can't find the time or resources to also create a Mac build. Porting such a shader to the Mac platform, is not done overnight.

I do get that. However, if this was purely a joy-based hobby, then I suspect you'd just be giving the shader away for free, and it'd just be a 'take what you can get' mentality as freeware offerings come with a much lower set of expectations.

However, the minute you start charging for your product, you are declaring yourself a professional plugin developer, and a new set of expectations are bestowed upon you and your product. At around $65 (American), it is not an insignificant amount of money either. It is an amount that says, "This is a well designed, pro-level tool that I have put my heart and soul into." People purchasing such a tool should expect continued development, refinement, and yes, cross-platform capability.

At the end of the day, if it was something you wanted to do, you would have found a way to do it. Many other devs at your level do all the time. It doesn't happen overnight, sure, but the last word we heard from you was last September, and 5 months is hardly overnight. If you do not intend to go cross-platform with this product, it is 100% your choice. I only wanted to point out that you've got quite the queue of folks with money burning a hole in their pocket, just itching to give it you. It's up to you to take it.

Whatever you ultimately decide on, I wish you only the best of luck.

Cheers
- Will
OSX 10.10.4
C4D R16 Studio/CC/FCS 3
Will's Works

Old 02-20-2013, 12:34 AM   #64
maxx981
Veteran
portfolio
Irniger André
Zürich, Switzerland

Quote:
Originally Posted by GruvDOne
I do get that. However, if this was purely a joy-based hobby, then I suspect you'd just be giving the shader away for free, and it'd just be a 'take what you can get' mentality as freeware offerings come with a much lower set of expectations.

However, the minute you start charging for your product, you are declaring yourself a professional plugin developer, and a new set of expectations are bestowed upon you and your product. At around $65 (American), it is not an insignificant amount of money either. It is an amount that says, "This is a well designed, pro-level tool that I have put my heart and soul into." People purchasing such a tool should expect continued development, refinement, and yes, cross-platform capability.

Who said, that I don't take it serious? Do you see any complaints?

This is a well designed pro-level tool, just I didn't create a Mac build yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GruvDOne
At the end of the day, if it was something you wanted to do, you would have found a way to do it. Many other devs at your level do all the time. It doesn't happen overnight, sure, but the last word we heard from you was last September, and 5 months is hardly overnight. If you do not intend to go cross-platform with this product, it is 100% your choice. I only wanted to point out that you've got quite the queue of folks with money burning a hole in their pocket, just itching to give it you. It's up to you to take it.

It seems you have no idea about software development and especially about the development with the Cinema API. If you want to point fingers, than point to Maxon, who is not supporting the developers. I spent months in figuring out stuff that should be plain documented. So, first have a look at who is to blame.

Actually, with such comments like this, you only achieve that I say, ok, I don't give out my tools anymore. Why should I? I create, as you say, a pro-level tool (and I am very supportive and responsive) and sell it for a bit of money and what happens?

Second, this goes to everyone here, stop telling me that I can earn a thousand bucks, this is ridiculous without end!!

I spent many month working on the plugin. Yes, many months. From time to time I put a full free week into it, then another two, and so on.

You would just give it out for free? Sure...also, there go all your neat arguments with making money. You think I spend 15-20k on a project, to get back 1k, if it was not for fun?

...and for today, I am done with working on the plugin, congratulations. People bitching at me when I create a great tool and give it out pretty cheap... I just don't get it.

Cheers,
André

Last edited by maxx981 : 02-20-2013 at 12:53 AM.

Old 02-20-2013, 01:50 AM   #65
maxx981
Veteran
portfolio
Irniger André
Zürich, Switzerland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navstar
I'm getting 404 from both links in the original post. Is this no longer being developed?

Sorry, I forgot to update the links, fixed now . The homepage got a re-design, therefore the wrong links...

André

Old 02-20-2013, 07:52 AM   #66
Skamierski
Know-it-All
Chris Skamierski
Berlin, Germany

Send a message via ICQ to Skamierski
Omg so much immoderate interpretation of the situation.
Is this a mona lisa smile analysis in art class? Way too personal.

The only programmers duty is to maintain user support for his commercial projects.

Cross plattform developing is not obligatory. There are many possible reasons not to do it, personal and Professional ones. Many dont do it.

Dont start a sh.t storm.

I could suggest only one helpfull idea,
a cooperation with other programmers that have already
ported free plugins from win to mac. Like remotion.

Cheers

Old 02-20-2013, 08:29 AM   #67
HolgerBiebrach
@Holgerbiebrach

portfolio
Holger Biebrach
Animator, TD
Freelancer
Hamburg, Germany

I can well understand you. Plugindevelopement for Cinema4D is something hardly nobody can live from. The income is imaginary compared to the afford. So The expectations of Clients should not be so high.

I also Wait for the Mac-Version. But I will not push as I know it is a lot of work that is not paid.
www.c4dStuff.com

HB_ModellingBundle

Last edited by HolgerBiebrach : 02-20-2013 at 11:59 AM.

Old 02-20-2013, 11:17 AM   #68
Aurety
Expert

portfolio
Antoine Aurety
LEV COMMUNICATION
LORIENT, France

I will buy the mac version too ! Really nice plugin

Old 02-20-2013, 11:37 AM   #69
dataflow
Expert

portfolio
james hooten
digital media
TAFE
Sydney, Australia

Quote:
Who said, that I don't take it serious? Do you see any complaints?

This is a well designed pro-level tool, just I didn't create a Mac build yet.

It seems you have no idea about software development and especially about the development with the Cinema API. If you want to point fingers, than point to Maxon, who is not supporting the developers. I spent months in figuring out stuff that should be plain documented. So, first have a look at who is to blame.

Actually, with such comments like this, you only achieve that I say, ok, I don't give out my tools anymore. Why should I? I create, as you say, a pro-level tool (and I am very supportive and responsive) and sell it for a bit of money and what happens?

Second, this goes to everyone here, stop telling me that I can earn a thousand bucks, this is ridiculous without end!!

I spent many month working on the plugin. Yes, many months. From time to time I put a full free week into it, then another two, and so on.

You would just give it out for free? Sure...also, there go all your neat arguments with making money. You think I spend 15-20k on a project, to get back 1k, if it was not for fun?

...and for today, I am done with working on the plugin, congratulations. People bitching at me when I create a great tool and give it out pretty cheap... I just don't get it.

Cheers,
André

you shouldnt listen to a few idiots on this thread.
there are plenty of people here that appreciate your efforts.

Old 02-20-2013, 11:53 AM   #70
Skamierski
Know-it-All
Chris Skamierski
Berlin, Germany

Send a message via ICQ to Skamierski
Quote:
Originally Posted by dataflow
you shouldnt listen to a few idiots on this thread.
there are plenty of people here that appreciate your efforts.

agreed

@ maxx981 just keep it profesisonal and ignore those that insult you.

the most people appreciate your plugin developing and hope you keep
it going in the future.

cheers

Old 02-20-2013, 12:05 PM   #71
ooo
actually my name is odo

I think for a user it would be a more professional attitude to be not dependant on one platform. When you choose to work (and stay) on Mac (like me) you have to accept that not every tool is available like on Windows.
So bottomline is: be patient and express your interest to the developer. You can never, I repeat NEVER blame the developer for not being cross-platform. You can only blame yourself.

I really hate it to see that someone with very good intentions and creative plugins is being accused of all kind of things.

Odo

Old 02-20-2013, 12:33 PM   #72
Jim-H
PRO
portfolio
James Hall
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooo
I think for a user it would be a more professional attitude to be not dependant on one platform. When you choose to work (and stay) on Mac (like me) you have to accept that not every tool is available like on Windows.
So bottomline is: be patient and express your interest to the developer. You can never, I repeat NEVER blame the developer for not being cross-platform. You can only blame yourself.

I really hate it to see that someone with very good intentions and creative plugins is being accused of all kind of things.

Odo

Agree 100%

Keep up the great work and don't let certain individuals bring you down.

Old 02-20-2013, 01:59 PM   #73
ChrisCousins
Lance for Hire

portfolio
Chris Cousins
Lance For Hire
Brighton, United Kingdom

Looks really useful, very tasty addition. I've been using SubstanceDesigner to spit out curvature maps, they're useful for so many things - but of course a built in shader would be infinitely better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePriest
Thanks. Was just a quick one day project.
Glad the guide helped, it might need an update in a few weeks.

Tease. You'll be telling us next that fine chrome bird, the one with the tasty motion blur, was rendered out of VRay

Old 02-20-2013, 03:39 PM   #74
maxx981
Veteran
portfolio
Irniger André
Zürich, Switzerland

Thanks for the thumbs up! Already motivated to go on, its that easy

Cheers,
André

Old 02-20-2013, 04:49 PM   #75
winh
Veteran
portfolio
W. Huff
Ridgefield, USA

Wonderful work... I will patiently wait for a Mac version when your time and resources allow you to do so.

Thread Closed share thread