Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 09-03-2012, 06:42 PM   #46
maxx981
Veteran
portfolio
Irniger André
Zürich, Switzerland

No one????

Can't be too hard I'd guess ... but I really come up empty, when searching for protection software for Mac. I am no Mac user, so I have no idea where that info hides ...

Regards,
André

Old 09-03-2012, 07:29 PM   #47
winh
Veteran
portfolio
W. Huff
Ridgefield, USA

Hopefully, a Mac developer will help you out; definitely interested in seeing OS X version.

Old 09-03-2012, 09:37 PM   #48
NWoolridge
Expert

Hi,

I did PM you one option...

Just curious: why do you need this protection? Most disassemblers and decompilers just produce uncompilable pseudocode. Is what you are doing so significant that even the general methods need to be kept secret? If there is true novelty in your approach, perhaps you should think of filing for a patent...

I know several Mac OS X developers, on several major software projects (think major market competitors to C4D) and none, to my knowledge, uses code protection of this type. Of course, with a project of any complexity, disassemblers produce less and less useful output the more complex the project ...

Old 09-03-2012, 10:23 PM   #49
maxx981
Veteran
portfolio
Irniger André
Zürich, Switzerland

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWoolridge
Just curious: why do you need this protection?

Pretty simple, to protect the plugin from distribution on known pirate sites.

Quote:
Most disassemblers and decompilers just produce uncompilable pseudocode.

This is not the issue. The target is to "Watermark" the code and at the same time make sure, it can't be tampered with.

Thats it. So each customer has to think about, if he really wants to give out his Credit-Card Address and Email (when putting his plugin on a pirate site, for example).

I decided to go this way, as it is much more comfortable for the users, when a plugin is not bound to a certain station/or version (with a key). To be honest, I hate it. So, my plugins just run, once you bought it. No key.

Quote:
Is what you are doing so significant that even the general methods need to be kept secret? If there is true novelty in your approach, perhaps you should think of filing for a patent...

As I wrote, that is not the reason. The main code is not "protected" and runs at maximum speed (ie. no virtualization overhead or whatever). But there are measures in place, to protect the code from being changed.

Quote:
I know several Mac OS X developers, on several major software projects (think major market competitors to C4D) and none, to my knowledge, uses code protection of this type. Of course, with a project of any complexity, disassemblers produce less and less useful output the more complex the project ...

So, first, I don't care what others do Second, I could bet, they have some sort of key-system. Others, that do not have one, wrote their own software for protection. I really don't intend to do that currently.

Quote:
I did PM you one option...

Yes, and I did inquire the price (and also sent you a message back). Pricing starts between 15k-20k ... that is just a bit too much for my needs

Cheers,
André

Last edited by maxx981 : 09-03-2012 at 10:34 PM.

Old 09-04-2012, 04:07 PM   #50
NWoolridge
Expert

Ahh, I see. I assumed that you wanted to do this for source code protection, but really you want to make things easy for customers. I'm so sorry for misconstruing your intentions!

You may want to inquire about this on a mac developer forum; e.g.:

https://developer.apple.com/devforums/

http://cocoadev.com

http://www.macosxguru.net

Old 09-04-2012, 08:20 PM   #51
maxx981
Veteran
portfolio
Irniger André
Zürich, Switzerland

Quote:
Ahh, I see. I assumed that you wanted to do this for source code protection, but really you want to make things easy for customers. I'm so sorry for misconstruing your intentions!

You may want to inquire about this on a mac developer forum; e.g.:

https://developer.apple.com/devforums/

http://cocoadev.com

http://www.macosxguru.net

Ok, good idea. I got some more tips regarding possible solutions from the c4dnetwork. I think there could be one that fits my needs.

If not, I will try on the forums.

Thank you,
André

Old 02-19-2013, 08:38 PM   #52
GruvDOne
Keeper of the Cheese

portfolio
Willie Frazier
USA

Send a message via AIM to GruvDOne Send a message via Yahoo to GruvDOne
In all honesty, while I understand and appreciate you wanting to make things easier for your customers, denying them the plugin because you cannot find a workable solution to suit your intentions does more harm than good. I had forgotten completely about this shader until it was brought up again in another thread today.

Speaking as a potential customer (one of many from the looks of this thread), I'd much prefer to have to deal with a key than to not be able to use the tool at all.

At this point, you're just leaving money on the table
OSX 10.10.5
C4D R18 Studio/CC/VizRT
Will's Works

Old 02-19-2013, 09:40 PM   #53
Navstar
Expert

N Parker
Mograph Dude
Los%2BAngeles, United%2BStates

I'm getting 404 from both links in the original post. Is this no longer being developed?

Old 02-19-2013, 09:48 PM   #54
GruvDOne
Keeper of the Cheese

portfolio
Willie Frazier
USA

Send a message via AIM to GruvDOne Send a message via Yahoo to GruvDOne
It's stil there, just the links that are dead. If you click the homepage link at the bottom of the 404 page, you will be able to find info on the plugin on the second page of the Cine Tools section of C4D Corner.

To the developer, I just did a quick tally, and there were 15 people who actively expressed an interest in purchasing a Mac version. That's 885 CHF's you could have in your pocket. Just sayin'
OSX 10.10.5
C4D R18 Studio/CC/VizRT
Will's Works

Old 02-19-2013, 09:57 PM   #55
ThePriest
Bad Ass

portfolio
Stuart Townsend
Environment artist
Berkeley, USA

If you do manage to get in touch with Andre, you won't regret the purchase.
I find myself using this plugin often, sometime only for subtle effects, but it has changed the way I build shaders.

Old 02-19-2013, 10:00 PM   #56
Navstar
Expert

N Parker
Mograph Dude
Los%2BAngeles, United%2BStates

Thanks! Yellow on white home page link was virtually invisible.

That's a gorgeous render. Put a bird on it!

+1 C4D Mac user here too!

Old 02-19-2013, 10:08 PM   #57
JoelDubin
Lard of the pots
portfolio
Joel Dubin
Creative Director
MadMicrobe
United%2BStates

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePriest
If you do manage to get in touch with Andre, you won't regret the purchase.
I find myself using this plugin often, sometime only for subtle effects, but it has changed the way I build shaders.

beautiful work--by the way (unrelated) discovered your Vray manual. Very helpful! (vray 4 c4d newbie)

MadMicrobe
MadMograph (blog)
Behance

Old 02-19-2013, 10:13 PM   #58
ThePriest
Bad Ass

portfolio
Stuart Townsend
Environment artist
Berkeley, USA

Thanks. Was just a quick one day project.
Glad the guide helped, it might need an update in a few weeks.

Old 02-19-2013, 11:07 PM   #59
ooo
actually my name is odo

I see this thread for the first time now. Awsome shader. Mac version would be heaven!

Odo

Old 02-19-2013, 11:43 PM   #60
maxx981
Veteran
portfolio
Irniger André
Zürich, Switzerland

Quote:
Originally Posted by GruvDOne
In all honesty, while I understand and appreciate you wanting to make things easier for your customers, denying them the plugin because you cannot find a workable solution to suit your intentions does more harm than good. I had forgotten completely about this shader until it was brought up again in another thread today.

Speaking as a potential customer (one of many from the looks of this thread), I'd much prefer to have to deal with a key than to not be able to use the tool at all.

At this point, you're just leaving money on the table

The security solution is only one aspect and is not the reason why there is no Mac build yet (I found software that I could use). The problem is the overall work, that has to be done (and the always huge uncertainty factor when doing "new stuff" with the Cinema-API). Btw. I do not understand, how I could "deny" something to my clients, when I was the creator of the software in the first place.

You have to understand, that I wrote this plugin for the joy of programming it. Currently I can't find the time or resources to also create a Mac build. Porting such a shader to the Mac platform, is not done overnight.

Note:
My hompage was updated and therefore some linked images earlier in the thread may be gone.

I am currently working on an additional smoothing method for the edges between concave and convex areas, all other features are now ready. If things go well, I can soon release the RCS (and with go well I mean, I can figure out undocumented stuff in the API ).

Cheers,
André

Attached are some Wips of the RCS.

Curvature-Mode: Curvature

Curvature-Mode: Gauss Curvature

Curvature-Mode: Geodesic-Torsion (experimental)

Curvature-Mode: Gradient

Curvature-Mode: Gradient-Channels

Curvature-Mode: Mean-Curvature

Color Gradient with Alpha and "Falloff":

Many Smoothing-Methods:

Last edited by maxx981 : 02-19-2013 at 11:56 PM.

Thread Closed share thread