AoB - Surface Curvature Shader

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09 September 2012   #46
No one????

Can't be too hard I'd guess ... but I really come up empty, when searching for protection software for Mac. I am no Mac user, so I have no idea where that info hides ...

Regards,
André
 
Old 09 September 2012   #47
Hopefully, a Mac developer will help you out; definitely interested in seeing OS X version.
 
Old 09 September 2012   #48
Hi,

I did PM you one option...

Just curious: why do you need this protection? Most disassemblers and decompilers just produce uncompilable pseudocode. Is what you are doing so significant that even the general methods need to be kept secret? If there is true novelty in your approach, perhaps you should think of filing for a patent...

I know several Mac OS X developers, on several major software projects (think major market competitors to C4D) and none, to my knowledge, uses code protection of this type. Of course, with a project of any complexity, disassemblers produce less and less useful output the more complex the project ...
 
Old 09 September 2012   #49
Originally Posted by NWoolridge: Just curious: why do you need this protection?


Pretty simple, to protect the plugin from distribution on known pirate sites.

Originally Posted by NWoolridge: Most disassemblers and decompilers just produce uncompilable pseudocode.


This is not the issue. The target is to "Watermark" the code and at the same time make sure, it can't be tampered with.

Thats it. So each customer has to think about, if he really wants to give out his Credit-Card Address and Email (when putting his plugin on a pirate site, for example).

I decided to go this way, as it is much more comfortable for the users, when a plugin is not bound to a certain station/or version (with a key). To be honest, I hate it. So, my plugins just run, once you bought it. No key.

Originally Posted by NWoolridge: Is what you are doing so significant that even the general methods need to be kept secret? If there is true novelty in your approach, perhaps you should think of filing for a patent...


As I wrote, that is not the reason. The main code is not "protected" and runs at maximum speed (ie. no virtualization overhead or whatever). But there are measures in place, to protect the code from being changed.

Originally Posted by NWoolridge: I know several Mac OS X developers, on several major software projects (think major market competitors to C4D) and none, to my knowledge, uses code protection of this type. Of course, with a project of any complexity, disassemblers produce less and less useful output the more complex the project ...


So, first, I don't care what others do Second, I could bet, they have some sort of key-system. Others, that do not have one, wrote their own software for protection. I really don't intend to do that currently.

Originally Posted by NWoolridge: I did PM you one option...


Yes, and I did inquire the price (and also sent you a message back). Pricing starts between 15k-20k ... that is just a bit too much for my needs

Cheers,
André

Last edited by maxx981 : 09 September 2012 at 10:34 PM.
 
Old 09 September 2012   #50
Ahh, I see. I assumed that you wanted to do this for source code protection, but really you want to make things easy for customers. I'm so sorry for misconstruing your intentions!

You may want to inquire about this on a mac developer forum; e.g.:

https://developer.apple.com/devforums/

http://cocoadev.com

http://www.macosxguru.net
 
Old 09 September 2012   #51
Originally Posted by NWoolridge: Ahh, I see. I assumed that you wanted to do this for source code protection, but really you want to make things easy for customers. I'm so sorry for misconstruing your intentions!

You may want to inquire about this on a mac developer forum; e.g.:

https://developer.apple.com/devforums/

http://cocoadev.com

http://www.macosxguru.net


Ok, good idea. I got some more tips regarding possible solutions from the c4dnetwork. I think there could be one that fits my needs.

If not, I will try on the forums.

Thank you,
André
 
Old 02 February 2013   #52
In all honesty, while I understand and appreciate you wanting to make things easier for your customers, denying them the plugin because you cannot find a workable solution to suit your intentions does more harm than good. I had forgotten completely about this shader until it was brought up again in another thread today.

Speaking as a potential customer (one of many from the looks of this thread), I'd much prefer to have to deal with a key than to not be able to use the tool at all.

At this point, you're just leaving money on the table
__________________
Mac Pro 12 x 2.6 GHz 64GB Quadro K5000
OSX 10.10.4
MacBook Pro 4 x 2.3GHz 16GB GeForce GT 750M
OSX 10.10.5
C4D R18 Studio/CC/VizRT
Will's Works
 
Old 02 February 2013   #53
I'm getting 404 from both links in the original post. Is this no longer being developed?
__________________
----end of line
 
Old 02 February 2013   #54
It's stil there, just the links that are dead. If you click the homepage link at the bottom of the 404 page, you will be able to find info on the plugin on the second page of the Cine Tools section of C4D Corner.

To the developer, I just did a quick tally, and there were 15 people who actively expressed an interest in purchasing a Mac version. That's 885 CHF's you could have in your pocket. Just sayin'
__________________
Mac Pro 12 x 2.6 GHz 64GB Quadro K5000
OSX 10.10.4
MacBook Pro 4 x 2.3GHz 16GB GeForce GT 750M
OSX 10.10.5
C4D R18 Studio/CC/VizRT
Will's Works
 
Old 02 February 2013   #55
If you do manage to get in touch with Andre, you won't regret the purchase.
I find myself using this plugin often, sometime only for subtle effects, but it has changed the way I build shaders.


__________________
۩PRIST

 
Old 02 February 2013   #56
Thanks! Yellow on white home page link was virtually invisible.

That's a gorgeous render. Put a bird on it!

+1 C4D Mac user here too!
__________________
----end of line
 
Old 02 February 2013   #57
Originally Posted by ThePriest: If you do manage to get in touch with Andre, you won't regret the purchase.
I find myself using this plugin often, sometime only for subtle effects, but it has changed the way I build shaders.




beautiful work--by the way (unrelated) discovered your Vray manual. Very helpful! (vray 4 c4d newbie)
 
Old 02 February 2013   #58
Thanks. Was just a quick one day project.
Glad the guide helped, it might need an update in a few weeks.
__________________
۩PRIST

 
Old 02 February 2013   #59
I see this thread for the first time now. Awsome shader. Mac version would be heaven!

Odo
 
Old 02 February 2013   #60
Originally Posted by GruvDOne: In all honesty, while I understand and appreciate you wanting to make things easier for your customers, denying them the plugin because you cannot find a workable solution to suit your intentions does more harm than good. I had forgotten completely about this shader until it was brought up again in another thread today.

Speaking as a potential customer (one of many from the looks of this thread), I'd much prefer to have to deal with a key than to not be able to use the tool at all.

At this point, you're just leaving money on the table


The security solution is only one aspect and is not the reason why there is no Mac build yet (I found software that I could use). The problem is the overall work, that has to be done (and the always huge uncertainty factor when doing "new stuff" with the Cinema-API). Btw. I do not understand, how I could "deny" something to my clients, when I was the creator of the software in the first place.

You have to understand, that I wrote this plugin for the joy of programming it. Currently I can't find the time or resources to also create a Mac build. Porting such a shader to the Mac platform, is not done overnight.


Note:
My hompage was updated and therefore some linked images earlier in the thread may be gone.

I am currently working on an additional smoothing method for the edges between concave and convex areas, all other features are now ready. If things go well, I can soon release the RCS (and with go well I mean, I can figure out undocumented stuff in the API ).

Cheers,
André

Attached are some Wips of the RCS.

Curvature-Mode: Curvature


Curvature-Mode: Gauss Curvature


Curvature-Mode: Geodesic-Torsion (experimental)


Curvature-Mode: Gradient


Curvature-Mode: Gradient-Channels


Curvature-Mode: Mean-Curvature


Color Gradient with Alpha and "Falloff":


Many Smoothing-Methods:

Last edited by maxx981 : 02 February 2013 at 11:56 PM.
 
Thread Closed share thread



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
CGSociety
Society of Digital Artists
www.cgsociety.org

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2006,
Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Minimize Ads
Forum Jump
Miscellaneous

All times are GMT. The time now is 06:01 PM.


Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.