AoB - Surface Curvature Shader

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 08 August 2012   #31
Very cool examples..... Looks like a wanna have to me....

Peace,
Rich_Art.

Old 08 August 2012   #32
Originally Posted by ThePriest: Thank you for the quick response, very pleased with the results and speed of calculation.
I'm impressed with how easily I can dirty up my materials now, choosing the kind of angles I need with little effort vs the trial and error of re-working the dirt shader parameters in vray.
Left side looks like I spent significantly more time painting textures. Right is a dead giveaway that I used just standard ao/dirt.

Nice to hear!! Thank you for the examples, looks good

Cheers,
André

Old 08 August 2012   #33
Example/test renders look very nice. Any update on Mac version?

Old 08 August 2012   #34
Originally Posted by winh: Example/test renders look very nice. Any update on Mac version?

I am afraid, not --> yet <--.

But ... its just a matter of time really ...

I do work on a second version of the Surface Curvature Shader (SCS)... The Real Curvature Shader (RCS)!

It is a full rewrite and based on different algorithms. The target is to improve handling of difficult geometry and to increase the overall quality of the curvature detection.

Some Features of the RCS:
- Improved Curvature Detection, even more robust than the one from the SCS
- Substraction Mask: define by curvature, where to substract values from a given Shader (can be any shader)
- Intelligent smoothing (Gauss Filter) by distance (no passes)

I will improve the SCS too, as it can profit from the RCS development.

Buyers, that already purchased the SCS, will be able to buy the new version by only paying the difference, (since they (and the calls for the Mac version) motivated me, to do the rewrite and improve the shader )!

This is valid until the RCS is out! (Ie. all buyers, that already bought it, and all buyers, who buy till the RCS is out, will get both shaders for the price of the RCS).

As Mac users didn't yet have the possibility to purchase the SCS, they will also become a period of time, where buying the RCS, will automatically include the SCS, for only the price of the RCS!

Both tools do about the same, but they are two different kind of hammers!

The SCS will be superior in performance, as it is based on a simple but very robust core. The RCS on the other hand, can through the use of complex algorithms, further enhance the quality of the solution and will offer some unique features, which are not yet possible with the SCS.

Once the RCS is finished (which should be soon), I will look more actively for the Mac build!

Regards,
André

Attached some shots with the new engine, smoothing out the already nice result
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ajax_RCS_1s.jpg (90.4 KB, 195 views)
File Type: jpg Ajax_RCS_2s.jpg (94.1 KB, 137 views)
File Type: jpg Ajax_RCS_3s.jpg (84.1 KB, 149 views)

Last edited by maxx981 : 08 August 2012 at 04:09 PM.

Old 08 August 2012   #35
can SCS and RCS be combined first off and how do the compare?

Henry Moore

Old 08 August 2012   #36
Originally Posted by flingster: can SCS and RCS be combined first off and how do the compare?

Yes, you can always combine shaders

As I mentioned, there will be advantages for the RCS, especially in the quality of the solution, but it needs a little more time for calculations. The RCS will have some advanced features, like the smoothing (not just a blur, it is a "geometry aware smoothing"), which is based on a distance measure, rather than passes.

Once it is more complete, I can give a feature-comparison. Currently, things are still in development ...

Cheers,
André

Old 08 August 2012   #37
Hi André

Originally Posted by maxx981: ...Both tools do about the same, but they are two different kind of hammers!...

Okay, but then why making two different shaders out of them at all and not simply one with a mode selektor?

Kind regards,
Tom

Last edited by TBLebowski : 08 August 2012 at 02:55 AM. Reason: typo

Old 08 August 2012   #38
I too would prefer to just see an upgrade with the extra option.
You're the developer of course, just a thought.

Old 08 August 2012   #39
I agree, having to install two shaders that do the same thing only slightly different is really annoying. It's like the mess of volume breaking plugins available for C4D.

But, I'm happy with the plugin as it is already, so I'm not going to complain further about it =)

Old 08 August 2012   #40
Originally Posted by TBLebowski: Hi André

Okay, but then why making two different shaders out of them at all and not simply one with a mode selektor?

Kind regards,
Tom

First off, this has technical reasons. The Shaders are really not "compatible" with each other. For example, the SCS has a value range up to max. 90°, the RCS does calculate the "real curvatures", which have no limit (and will therefore use a scale factor to adapt curvature range on a global scale). They have very different settings and inner workings, therefore it does not make sense, to combine them into one.

As I said, they are two different kind of hammers.

Second, I would have to make the price for that "combined" shader quite high. As I mentioned, it is a complete rewrite and so just paying the difference between SCS and RCS does not cover the actual developments costs for the RCS. It is not just an update, it is based on high-order differential geometry and was therefore a lot more complex to develop than the first one (which of course, can also be described in terms of differential geometry, but also in a more simple form).

Therefore, those two will go separate ways later on. Most probably there will be a package containing both of them, but also the option, to buy them separate.

Cheers,
André

Old 08 August 2012   #41
Add me as one who would purchase a Mac OS version. Thanks.

Old 08 August 2012   #42
... some more images from the upcoming RCS:

The first image: No blurring no smoothing

The second one: Just a closeup view of the first

The third one: First the mesh is internally smoothed by geometry (normals) and then the curvature values are again smoothed with another, also geometry aware, "intelligent smoothing".

Cheers,
André

Btw.: Is there a way, I can attach bigger images? Currently I need to cut them down to about 90kb ... I could just link them, but that would not be a very permanent solution. But if that is the only possibility, I can do so.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ajax_RCS4s.jpg (90.4 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg Ajax_RCS_5s.jpg (75.6 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg Ajax_RCS_6s.jpg (62.5 KB, 76 views)

Last edited by maxx981 : 08 August 2012 at 07:45 PM.

Old 08 August 2012   #43
Wow, looks great
Can you tell us about the rendertimes?

Cheers

Old 08 August 2012   #44
Originally Posted by spaceac: Wow, looks great
Can you tell us about the rendertimes?

Cheers

Yes, I could

But its not yet very useful, as many optimizations are not yet finished and MP is also just partly implemented ...

So, numbers will come when RCS is nearly finished, not before.

This is how the mesh of this head looks like (it is a scan):

Cheers,
André

Last edited by maxx981 : 08 August 2012 at 09:01 PM.

Old 08 August 2012   #45
Hy there,

I am still looking for a solution to protect a Mac version of my plugins. Anyone else got some tips for me?

See here:
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showpos...58&postcount=27

Thank you,
André

Thread Closed share thread