Anyone else hope Maxon has been watching Pixologic?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

07 July 2012
Anyone else hope Maxon has been watching Pixologic?

Great ideas seem to be raining down on Pixoland over the past year, and a hand full of those ideas would be welcome in C4D.

07 July 2012
Zbrush is fantastic at what it does, what specifically would you want to see in C4D? Pixol painting? I'd rather they tuned up what we have, Zbrush is a great companion tool, and GoZ is pretty tight. Or maybe you're talking business model here?

cheers
brasc

07 July 2012
No need to have a Zbrush clone.. :-) I like C4D as it is.. Sure, there is room for improvement..

Peace,
Rich_Art.

07 July 2012
I think Maxon should rip off the Pixologic pricing. There will be battles over patents but we'll be happy.

C4D XL, ZBrush, Motion Builder

07 July 2012
I would look to plugin developers for Zbrush inspired functionality, specifically the way that multimesh works. It's amazing fun to pile on objects, but it was until the new release, somewhat unfriendly as a serious production tool, especially when you start getting into the 10 million poly mark without an automated re-topology tool. I haven't tried this QReMesher addition yet, but I'm hoping it lives up to the hype, because I could seriously ditch traditional modeling in favor of this more organic approach.

Last edited by ThePriest : 07 July 2012 at 07:47 PM.

07 July 2012
Maybe it was a bad idea. I was thinking about features like ZBrush's UV Master, QRemesher, and the new curves feature. Except for QRemesher we can already do everything else, it's just ZBrush's approach is faster and I thought maybe Maxon should use some of these ideas as a starting point for improvements in C4D.

07 July 2012
Yea the zBrush 4r4 update is amazing, but I like C4D the way it is and having the two of them work together is perfect for what I do.

07 July 2012
Originally Posted by ThePriest: I haven't tried this QRMesher addition yet, but I'm hoping it lives up to the hype, because I could seriously ditch traditional modeling in favor of this more organic approach.

QRmesher works great and I'm with you on your modeling comment.

07 July 2012
Originally Posted by ThePriest: I haven't tried this QRMesher addition yet, but I'm hoping it lives up to the hype,

I've only done a few tests with it yet, but so far it definitely lives up to the claims. For an animation-ready mesh I'd still do some manual cleanup but it will save me a lot of time in future compared to my usual workflow of building the low poly mesh from scratch in Topogun. Now I'll mainly just be using TG for welding verts and rerouting loops a little when needed.

Cheers,
Brian

07 July 2012
Yeah, I really would prefer that Maxon put their time into other tools, not copying Zbrush ones. Seriously, no one can compete with what Zbrush now offers .I am now on year 8 of free updates, and it is quite insane to think of how value added the package is!

If Maxon copies anything from Pixologic, it would be to put out some new bonus features as free updates like they use to in the good old r8/r9 days I just hope that they aren't wasting their time on sculpting and retopo tools, as I have enough between Zbrush and 3DCoat. Bodypaint and UV updates would be good though.

I also wish that Pixologic had released this update a week earlier as I had just spent 2 days doing a complex manual retopo for a job in 3dC. Haven't updated yet, but the new ZB retopo stuff looks amazing. What is also cool is that QRemesher is included for free, since it was originally slated to be a third party paid plugin from Verold.

07 July 2012
Originally Posted by Zendorf: If Maxon copies anything from Pixologic, it would be to put out some new bonus features as free updates like they use to in the good old r8/r9 days

Sorry, that won't happen.
Due to Enrons creative bookkeeping the tax regulations have been tightened to a degree that makes it impossible legaly add functionality after release.
Cheers
Björn

07 July 2012
And yet Pixologic somehow manage to circumnavigate that legislation. Hmmmm.....

Originally Posted by Srek: Sorry, that won't happen.
Due to Enrons creative bookkeeping the tax regulations have been tightened to a degree that makes it impossible legaly add functionality after release.
Cheers
Björn

07 July 2012
Most strange. Other software packages I use don't seem to have a problem with .1 .2 etc free upgrades.

3DKiwi

07 July 2012
I'm not talking about stealing anything, or adding high end sculpting into C4D. What I'm suggesting is that they use some of these features as inspiration for how they could simplify our modeling and UV tool set.

07 July 2012
What did happen to the free, new features added .x updates then?

Thread Closed share thread