Advanced topology maps.

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07 July 2012   #16
Hey this is cool stuff. Paul, you make very interesting tools.
I'll be checking your site for more info.
__________________
C4D R14.034 Studio/MacPro/8gbRAM/Snow Leopard 10.6.8
"Yeah, it could be anything, but it's got to be something!"
 
Old 07 July 2012   #17
progress

A small update for those who are interested.The following maps are finished and final:

Mesh Angle
Mesh Density(area)
Ambient Occlusion
Depth map (inverse sub surface AO)
Shadow map (a really nice smarter soft shadow in realtime)
PLA motion map

WIP ...SSS

just incase there is any confusion, these are per vertex maps being generated by the Topo tag. the resulting vertex maps can be passed to a shader to do cool stuff in your materials, or you can use them with anything that can make use of a vertex map.

The maps are generated in near realtime, depending of course on the polygon count.

cheers

Paul Everett
Tools4D.com
 
Old 07 July 2012   #18
This is looking GREAT, Paul :-)
I hope it will not be too expensive.

Rui Batista
__________________
http://www.ruimac.com
http://www.ruimac.com/demoreel.htm
http://www.ruimac.com/plugins.htm
 
Old 07 July 2012   #19
Hi paul,

verry interesting things going on.
If you say it is vertax map based. it is dependent on the mesh quality? right.
will there be a chance to generate a fast AO posteffect that does not depend on the mesh quality?

thanks a lott.
Jops
 
Old 07 July 2012   #20
> it is dependent on the mesh quality? right.
yes
>will there be a chance to generate a fast AO posteffect that does not depend on the mesh quality?
Not in this project(this is vertex maps and it has to get finished sometime). But if I thought there was any real interest(meaning enough potential buyers), why not.However, atm, the potenital buyers thing is not looking good, judging by the amount of plugins im selling these days.




cheers
Paul Everett
Tools4D.com
 
Old 07 July 2012   #21
I does look really interesting & I would love to be a potential buyer.
In fact most of your new stuff looks really good.
However having got my fingers burned with the gigashader pack, no thanks.
 
Old 07 July 2012   #22
ah damn this is cool...its the sort of workhorse type functionality that will find you using it in so many images you'll wonder what you'd do without it or why it wasn't native..great stuff paul as usual

edit:could angle and density type tool be used for cloning scales on that t-rex model i wonder
__________________
One never knows what each day is going to bring. The important thing is to be open and ready for it.

Henry Moore
 
Old 07 July 2012   #23
Originally Posted by bbuxton: However having got my fingers burned with the gigashader pack, no thanks.


how did you get burned? The pack does what it says and a lot more. the issue is getting data.Which most of you guys found very difficult , and it is.But you cant expect me to build your scenes for you guys for free. it takes hours to gather data and I did this so often for free. Nobody was prepared to pay me for this service and I had to make a call on if it was worth selling a plugin that requied 2 to 8 hours support per sale for 249 euros.You still have the plugins,they stil work and you can still use them, but you have to do it yourself unless your prepaired to pay me to do it for you.
There are a bunch of working scenes and examples in the dropbox folder , all of which demonstrate how to use the plugins and that these pluigns do some pretty amazing things.However , without data , they do nothing.

To put this into perspective , for 249 euros ,from a UK mapping service , you dont even get a 3x3km high res image, let alone any elevation data.A finished. matched stock model of a 3x3 area in a useless format will cost you upwards of 600 pounds and you can't do anything with it license wise apart from look at it. It's an expensive complicated game and its all about the data.

cheers
Paul Everett
 
Old 07 July 2012   #24
Fingers got burned because the difficulty and expense of obtaining maps was not made clear at point of sale. Your videos gave the impression that the maps were easy to obtain for free and that some readily available downloaders would collect the tiles. Eventually I found a downloader for mac (uDig) but it was not compatible with your plugin, though you did say you would look at the files and see if this could be addressed. No news yet?

The docs for the plugin (available after purchase) do refer to mapping services (using Windows only software) where maps can be obtained for a fee - but without confidence that your plugin would be able to read the tiles I was not prepared to spend considerably more money that I hadn't budgeted for to obtain the tiles.

So I have 249euros worth of unusable plugin in my C4D folder. Given how frosty you have been in our discussions over this, I have given up hoping to find any resolution.

Granted when I remarked on how little documentation there was for the product you tidied up your site a bit so things were easier to find - thank you, even though your efforts were exceedingly reticent to the point where I felt that I was regarded as a nuisance for asking for a little support.

You new plugins look fantastic and under any other circumstances I would purchase them in an instant. However in over 15 years of working with 3D and using 3rd party plugins my experience with you as a vendor has not been very good.

Brian

"To put this into perspective , for 249 euros ,from a UK mapping service , you dont even get a 3x3km high res image, let alone any elevation data.A finished. matched stock model of a 3x3 area in a useless format will cost you upwards of 600 pounds and you can't do anything with it license wise apart from look at it. It's an expensive complicated game and its all about the data."

To reiterate it doesn't take much to make this clear at point of sale. I just expected to be able to do what was shown in the products promo video.

Last edited by bbuxton : 07 July 2012 at 09:20 PM.
 
Old 07 July 2012   #25
I am sorry you feel that way , but as i've always said , I am not in a position to collect data for you. My answer is the same as it was back then. you need to get data then you can use the plugins.You can do that easily with windows based software. If the Mac has nothing that is compatible thats unfortunate, but hardly my problem.I in no position to resolve this.Why not ask the vendor of that mac software to change their software to suit your needs. see what they say.They basically made up their own new key format.


regards
Paul Everett
Tools4D.com
 
Old 07 July 2012   #26
Originally Posted by bbuxton: To reiterate it doesn't take much to make this clear at point of sale. I just expected to be able to do what was shown in the products promo video.


the videos clearly showed me collecting data and I talked about how and wher to get. To make things happen like in the promo vid , requires plugins + data + a lot of work. it is a toolkit , it wont do anyting on its own.




regards
Paul Everett
Tools4D.com

Last edited by tapaul : 07 July 2012 at 10:09 PM.
 
Old 07 July 2012   #27
Originally Posted by bbuxton: Fingers got burned because the difficulty and expense of obtaining maps was not made clear at point of sale.

Brian

To reiterate it doesn't take much to make this clear at point of sale. I just expected to be able to do what was shown in the products promo video.


Hy Brian,

I bought the Gigashader too and I am more than happy with the toolset. Yes, collecting data is not that easy, but no one said that

The fact is the following, if you have data, the toolset works like a charm. It is very, very fast and can handle more images than my SSD can hold. So, this is actually huge! How it handles different layers of images and seamlessly blends level by level is just unmatched. The Raw Shader alone is worth half of the money, as it allows to load huge images in nearly no time. This makes a lot of scenes very lightweight and blazing fast.

The toolset makes it easy to geo-reference any data with matching elevation data. Even placing of objects in the geo-referenced mesh is easily possible. The toolset is really stuffed with functionality ...

So, this tool is a rock-solid thing, to give it a thumbs down, just because its not easy to get maps from the internet (which one should actually buy), is not really fair.

Cheers,
André

Last edited by maxx981 : 07 July 2012 at 10:40 PM.
 
Old 07 July 2012   #28
I have not asked you to collect any data for me & it was your suggestion to look at the uDig output to see if something could be done there but this turned out to be an empty gesture.

My problem has only ever been that these issue were not clear at point of sale and the lack of coherent documentation. On the forums I have only tried to get help finding a mac program to get hold of tiles just to get started and responses to your less than friendly comments to my posts.

Any impact this may have on your business is entirely of your own making anyone who looks through my posts can see this for themselves. I'm sure that had any of my posts been unreasonable, one of the moderators would have intervened and removed the post or advised me to take more care.

One of the benefits of CGTalks great forum is that answers and solutions to technical issues can be searched indefinitely. If your approach to this had been a little more positive it would be useful resource for users of your products and good for your business, not to mention saving you hours of support time.

Obviously if you treat your customers in such a negative fashion we all lose out with this sorry state of affairs.
 
Old 07 July 2012   #29
Originally Posted by maxx981: Hy Brian,

I bought the Gigashader too and I am more than happy with the toolset. Yes, collecting data is not that easy, but no one said that

The fact is the following, if you have data, the toolset works like a charm. It is very, very fast and can handle more images than my SSD can hold. So, this is really huge! How it handles different layers of images and seamlessly blends level by level is just unmatched. The Raw Shader alone is worth half of the money, as it allows to load huge images in nearly no time. This makes a lot of scenes very lightweight and blazing fast.

The toolset really makes it easy to geo-reference any data with matching elevation data. Even placing of object in the geo-referenced mesh is easily possible. The toolset is really stuffed with functionality ...

So, this tool is a rock-solid thing, to give it a thumbs down, just because its not easy to get maps from the internet (which one should actually buy), is not really fair.

Cheers,
André


I am by no means giving the product a thumbs down. I would be very happy to make some use of it but there have been some hurdles that I have not been able to get over - yes getting hold of tiles that the plugin will read. My original post about this plugin was asking how to do this on a mac - it is apparently straight forward on Windows.

I think I have only made positive comments about Paul's plugins (except for the lack of documentation, which got addressed). Support on the other hand speaks for itself to anyone bothered to look through the posts.

My comments in this thread also speak highly of Paul's plugins but I think people thinking of buying his plugins should be aware of how Paul will deal with support issues. My "no thanks" to future purchases is entirely down to this. I'm sure Paul could turn this around but it's up to him.

He has an unhappy customer but can only ask me to go away.
 
Old 07 July 2012   #30
Originally Posted by bbuxton: Obviously if you treat your customers in such a negative fashion we all lose out with this sorry state of affairs.


.. here too, I must disagree!

I had some questions too and Paul helped me greatly to resolve them in no time. He is usually quite responsive to any matters I had with his plugins... also with a lot cheaper ones, where I really do not expect to get help for

Cheers,
André
 
Thread Closed share thread



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
CGSociety
Society of Digital Artists
www.cgsociety.org

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2006,
Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Minimize Ads
Forum Jump
Miscellaneous

All times are GMT. The time now is 08:59 AM.


Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.