CGTalk > Software Specific Forums > Maxon Cinema 4D
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 07-04-2012, 12:57 PM   #16
zontaccc
portfolio
Bill
Athens, Greece

i will stay a few months with ATI and until December i will buy nvidia vga graphic card or a pro solution of nvidia like quadro FX....ATI drivers are buggy enough for me...

Old 07-05-2012, 02:40 AM   #17
madwycliffe
Earthling

Lindsey Vereen
Bellingham, USA

Rolling back drivers

You probably know this already, but here's some useful information if you are using AMD drivers -- and they always seem to need to be rolled back!

http://www.ehow.com/how_8198854_rol...-windows-7.html

Old 07-05-2012, 10:01 AM   #18
okazaky
Frequenter

portfolio
Daniel Mihajlovic
3D-Artist
Freelancer
Hannover, Germany

I've noticed the same issue on ATI. Even older driver versions caused constant crashes while working in C4D.

Soulution: If you are on Windows 7, deinstall the whole ATI Catalyst from your system and use the automatic driver search from Windows in the system control panel. This solved the problem

Best regards,
Daniel

Old 07-05-2012, 02:37 PM   #19
cookepuss
Lord of the posts
Rob
NYC, USA

ATI's drivers have been spotty with me for a long time now. Update problems. Blackened out viewports. Lag. You never know what you're going to get with each new rev. Don't expect 12.7 to be any better. I tested it. Crap. The only ATI driver from the past year that has been 100% stable for me has been the 11.1 Catalyst. I'm always hopeful when it comes to newer drivers, but I tend to keep the 11.1 on standby just in case. They're just rock solid on my HD 5770.

Old 07-05-2012, 03:21 PM   #20
Xcut0r
Frequenter
portfolio
Tiago Saraiva
Espinho, Portugal

@cookepuss, could you please tell me how can I down grade my drivers, I've a 5870 and win7 x64, and cant get rid of the new drivers, since everytime I try to install old ones, it says that were found new drivers on my computer, and simply dont let me install the old ones.

thanks in advance

Old 07-05-2012, 04:07 PM   #21
cookepuss
Lord of the posts
Rob
NYC, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcut0r
@cookepuss, could you please tell me how can I down grade my drivers, I've a 5870 and win7 x64, and cant get rid of the new drivers, since everytime I try to install old ones, it says that were found new drivers on my computer, and simply dont let me install the old ones.

Much simpler than you think.

1. Turn off your internet connection. You don't want Windows searching for the drivers automatically. There are 3 ways to do this. (You don't have to do each one. Just pick which method works best for you.)

A) Turn off your DSL/cable modem.
OR

B) Turn firewall all the way up block to block both incoming AND outgoing connections. For Comodo users, like myself, that would "Firewall Security Level -> Block All).

OR

C) Open a CMD command line window. Type (without quotes) "ipconfig /release". This will release your IP. After all is said and done, you can renew it with the "ipconfig /renew" command.

2) Now that you have your connection turned off, go to the Device Manager.

3) Right click on your video card and click UNINSTALL. It'll ask you if you want to remove the drivers totally. Agree to that.

4) Depending how you installed the ATI stuff before, you may have to also uninstall the full catalyst software too. If this requires a reboot, do that.

For the luva Pete, make sure that you still have your internet connection turned off when you're rebooted. Otherwise, Windows will put back in the wrong drivers again. This is why a turned off modem or firewall might work better than releasing the IP manually. Windows might decide to renew it on reboot. It's a quirky OS in that respect.

Now, there are 2 ways to go from here.

5a) Once you're rebooted, check your device manager again. It should probably show VGA Adapter or something like that. If all you want is your driver and not the whole package... Just right click on the VGA adapter and update the driver. This time, pick the one you want, assuming that you decompressed the archive.

OR

5b) Run the ATI installation EXE and install everything fresh, this time using the Catalyst version that you DO want.

Whichever method you choose, it'll ask you to reboot. Do that.

6) Get your damn internet up & working again.

That should be it. You will have successfully reverted to your desired driver set. ATI drivers and software might hang on uninstall, especially the newer ones. You'll just have to roll with the punches and continue your efforts upon reboot. You should be fine though.

NOTE: ATI drivers suck donkey butt. They really do. They install services and startup programs you might never use. Frankly, even if you do tend to use them, they're buggy and often cause conflicts and crashes. In MSCONFIG, I tend to disable the "AMD External Events Utility" service. I also disable the Catalyst related programs like CLISTART.EXE in the startup. Like I said, they cause more problems than they solve, especially that AMD External Events service. That thing's a nightmare.

Old 07-13-2012, 09:52 PM   #22
skydistortion
Frequenter
Samy
///
Bruxelles, Belgium

Looks like ATI releaes a new beta (12.7) that sort the bug :

I install it and c4d looks fine now.

Cheers

EDIT : Spoke too soon ...Still buggy Back 12.3

Last edited by skydistortion : 07-13-2012 at 09:55 PM.

Old 07-13-2012, 10:16 PM   #23
cookepuss
Lord of the posts
Rob
NYC, USA

Yeah. I tried it when it was in public beta. ATI's driver support has never been great, but it's been particularly spotty this past year or so. I only got the HD5770 because of its low power consumption, relative to its performance. (My case is too tight a fit for a heftier psu.) I can tell you one thing. This is the last time I go with an ATI board. So much more trouble than NVIDIA boards. That's what I get for cutting corners.

Old 07-13-2012, 11:50 PM   #24
zontaccc
portfolio
Bill
Athens, Greece

why so many drivers from 12.4 to 12.7(i think 12.5 is missing?) are so buggy?WTF is wrong with AMD ATI programmers...They want to push people to buy Nvidia?i cannot undestand...

Old 07-14-2012, 12:15 AM   #25
cookepuss
Lord of the posts
Rob
NYC, USA

I think that there was a 12.5 beta. I kinda remember trying the leak. As far as why there are so many bugs, it could be for any number of reasons. Too many products being supported. Not enough testing. Too many possible hardware configurations to account for. It could be anything. Their QA has always been a bit less than stellar. It has improved in recent years, but old habits dies hard I guess. As I said, I still haven't seen a driver rev as stable as 11.1 from them lately. It's been a rough year for ATI card owners, IMO.

Old 07-15-2012, 01:26 PM   #26
hsrdelic
Game, set and mesh

portfolio
Hrvoje
Split, Croatia

For 5xxx series best driver is 11.1 - this is verified directly by one of Maxon developers.
Ati really dropped the ball with the drivers....

Cheers

Old 07-15-2012, 03:25 PM   #27
umblefugly
Lead Slacker

Eric Jeffery
Dayton, USA

I would have to agree, the entire 12.x series have been the buggiest i've ever used in 10 years.

Old 07-15-2012, 04:00 PM   #28
hsrdelic
Game, set and mesh

portfolio
Hrvoje
Split, Croatia

ooops - Spoke to soon about 11.1 - It fixes one problem but introduces major display garble in component mode...
11.2 seems quite stable for now. I am pretty sure I won't buy another AMD card until they are able to produce decent drivers.

Cheers

Old 08-23-2012, 09:11 PM   #29
philhoole
Veteran
Philip Hoole
St Ives, United Kingdom

I just tried the 2.8 drivers with R13 Visualize and still getting a black viewport

Interestingly the R14 demo works seemingly perfectly and R13 is the only OpenGL app I have that has a problem.

Is this really an ATi/AMD problem ?

Old 08-23-2012, 10:43 PM   #30
zontaccc
portfolio
Bill
Athens, Greece

Quote:
Originally Posted by philhoole
I just tried the 2.8 drivers with R13 Visualize and still getting a black viewport

Interestingly the R14 demo works seemingly perfectly and R13 is the only OpenGL app I have that has a problem.

Is this really an ATi/AMD problem ?

Same problem here.I just update drivers to 12.8 and viewport is black...Id dont have R14 demo to checj but i believe this is not AMD'S RADEON problem...

Thread Closed share thread