Retina MBP vs 17" MBP cinebench

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 06 June 2012   #1
Retina MBP vs 17" MBP cinebench

MBP Retina CPU: 6.09
MBP 17" Thunderbolt CPU: 4.75

Both have 8gb of ram

Last edited by stoiQa : 06 June 2012 at 06:07 PM.

Old 06 June 2012   #2
You might need to post some larger images, or just copy/paste the actual figures, that text is tiny enough on a normal monitor (goodness knows how you can read it on a retina screen).

Old 06 June 2012   #3
I am curious as to how the pixel doubling looks on your new Macbook Pro Retina Display. I just cancelled my order based on some of the articles that I saw online, and had to see it for myself at the Apple Store. The only non-Apple app was Photoshop 5.1, and it did look pretty fuzzy. I have concerns about it for Pro work. I'd love to hear your opinion.

Old 06 June 2012   #4
The score for the 17-inch looks too low to me. The tests don't state how much RAM you have in these laptops or the other specs. The RAM make a difference, I found that upgrading from 8GB to 16GB increased the score from 5.05 to 5.35 for the following MBP.

MacBook Pro 17 (early 2011), 2.2GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7 (i7-2720QM), 16GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6750M 1024 MB

CPU 5.35
GPU 37.92

I have, in the past, found that the CPU score can vary by about 5% either way, presumably due to the way the Turbo Boost works depending on the CPU Temperature and other factors.

I suspect that the 17-inch has 4GB and the retina has 16GB.
The late 2011 MBPs used slightly faster CPUs and GPUs, so the gap would be pretty small.
(BTW. I read Apple is having a closeout sale on the 17-inch MacBook Pro.)
What I find surprising is that the OpenGL GPU Score for the NVidia GT650m is disappointing compared to the 17-inch.

The retina display is stunning, but it needs the applications to be retina display enabled, and presumably means that all the raster UI elements need to be re-created at the higher pixel density. Until CINEMA 4D and other applications are updated to support the retina display the experience may be a frustrating one...

Old 06 June 2012   #5
I hope Apple pushes all the major companies (Maxon, Autodesk, Foundry, Adobe, etc.) to release info about if/when the Retina is supported. Makes no sense for "pros" to get a new numbercruncher if the screen is not adequately supported. That said, I'd love to see how C4D looks like in Retina MBP (screenshots/photos anyone?).

Old 06 June 2012   #6
Just checked out the screen on the retina MBP, there are lots of options for the screen so you can have the full 2880 pixels if you like which is way too small for my eyes, it's a nice display, still very glossy, not a reason not to buy, but also not a killer must have feature

Old 06 June 2012   #7
I find it frustrating they're putting such insane pixel densities into 13"-17"n displays when we're all limited to using 30" 2560x1600 for desktops! More IPS 24in @ that res would be nice, I'm sure a lot of us would go for it

cheers
brasc

Old 06 June 2012   #8
Originally Posted by Hilt: I hope Apple pushes all the major companies (Maxon, Autodesk, Foundry, Adobe, etc.) to release info about if/when the Retina is supported. Makes no sense for "pros" to get a new numbercruncher if the screen is not adequately supported.

Well, personally i hope that the next time Apple pulls such a stunt they offer graphics software makers an early chance to lay their hands on the new hardware to be able to support it correctly. At least they could give out information under NDA so we know beforehand and not only on releaseday. The way it looks we at Maxon won't have any system with Retina display sooner than normal customers.
Cheers
Björn

Old 06 June 2012   #9
No doubt it will come on the iMacs next.
It is good to see Apple pushing the boundaries with display technology here.
I'm less enthusiastic about the soldered RAM, not user upgradable, SDD, not user upgradable...

Old 06 June 2012   #10
Soldered RAM? Are you sure? If it's true, whose clever idea was that? What a stupid move.

Originally Posted by penboack: No doubt it will come on the iMacs next.
It is good to see Apple pushing the boundaries with display technology here.
I'm less enthusiastic about the soldered RAM, not user upgradable, SDD, not user upgradable...

Old 06 June 2012   #11
ram is proprietary (nothing new there) when time comes, should be abble to swap these

PS: seems like this is the ssd, kind`a sucks not being able to upgrade the ram.
On the 17", it was pretty straight forward, and I saw a couple of them with 16gb upgraded, but was waiting for the prices to go down.

Got this, since it was the only one available after calling numerous stores in LA :(

When you go 1080 on the resolution, becomes pretty hard to read. Probably they will come with a revolutionary product. iEyes so you can read in the future 5k 15"MBP

Last edited by stoiQa : 06 June 2012 at 07:59 AM.

Old 06 June 2012   #12
Originally Posted by stoiQa: ram is proprietary (nothing new there) when time comes, should be abble to swap these

That's the SSD, the RAM is in the middle of the laptop soldered firmly on. You can't change it.

Old 06 June 2012   #13
apple also in old times had soldered ram(sadly) i remember some of my old macs had that.

at that time ram had been extremly expensive, so wasnt so dramaticc as one didnt update it anyway, but today i have a bad feeling being unable to extend my ram (or can it be done via an apple shop?).

anyway it might be the price for the ultra thin form factor of the new mac boks pros. very beautilful indeed. but no real worksations replacement yet to me as apple suggests sometimes.
2880 is great to have, but at only 15" size i would have fear this really brings much to workflow. i have the same pixels on 30" apple display. not sure if its nice to have the same pixels so much smaller?
will be very interesting to see live in real world.

cheers
stefan
http://rhino.io

Last edited by lllab : 06 June 2012 at 07:50 AM.

Old 06 June 2012   #14
I was quite sceptical about the retina display until I saw it in the Apple Store last week.
Spent a couple of minutes tweaking the settings so that it was running the interface at the equivalent of 1080p. Final Cut was a revelation, to have the video playback at 1080p in the top right corner instead of running at a reduced resolution is fantastic. The same will apply to any application that uses a split screen format, After Effects would benefit from this enormously. Photographers will love it.

I don't know how well it will work with 3D applications, increasing the viewport resolution isn't half going to increase the GPU workload!

To my surprise I found that 1080p UI text was actually easier to read than it is on the 17-inch. The NVidia card they use would actually support 3840 x 2160 (double 1080p), I wouldn't be surprised if a new 17-inch came out once the prices drop.

Workstation Replacement, no of course not, you can have 16-Cores an a Pro GPU on a workstation. But having said that, I would be quite happy to see workstations banished to the server room and accessed via remote desktop. I think you can actually do that with HP Workstations already.

Old 06 June 2012   #15
you can access any pc and (also mac) via remote desktop, but thats not really suitable for work(yet). also 15" is just too small for me for real working. a retina 24" or 28" woudl be great

cheers
Stefan
http://rhino.io

Thread Closed share thread