CGTalk > Software > Maxon Cinema 4D
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 05-17-2012, 05:51 PM   #16
shoqman
Frequenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seinfeld
Why not just see what's inside and buy all the parts separate for a fraction of the cost? This ain't a mac where you don't have that option.

Even if you can't put all the pieces together yourself (which is very easy now), you probably got a friend/relative who can do it for you.

This same system is like 5-6k if you build it yourself. Well, same processors, 32 gigs ram, GTX 680 (which is the better card for many things, esp for the money.)

I am very tempted. But nobody is shipping these processors in quantity yet, so Apple does have THAT excuse. If by June WWDC there's nothing, I'm gonna build one.

I will, however, be VERY sad to leave OS X. *shiver*

-shoqman

Old 05-17-2012, 06:28 PM   #17
Venkman
Don't cross the streams

portfolio
Peter Venkman
Frederick, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoqman
This same system is like 5-6k if you build it yourself. Well, same processors, 32 gigs ram, GTX 680 (which is the better card for many things, esp for the money.)

I am very tempted. But nobody is shipping these processors in quantity yet, so Apple does have THAT excuse. If by June WWDC there's nothing, I'm gonna build one.

-shoqman

It's not too bad, especially when you get a clean version of windows 7 by building it yourself. Occasionally I miss it. But it also means I don't post "Mac version?" under plugin releases anymore.

Old 05-17-2012, 09:16 PM   #18
kromekat
Daydreamer

portfolio
Adam Benton
Freelance CG Artist
kromekat digital media
United Kingdom

Send a message via ICQ to kromekat Send a message via Yahoo to kromekat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkman
It's not too bad, especially when you get a clean version of windows 7 by building it yourself. Occasionally I miss it. But it also means I don't post "Mac version?" under plugin releases anymore.

The thing that puts me off the most (other than Windows itself tbh) is realistically, I'd need to move all my production software to the PC - it would of course open up some possibilities for using any software that still doesn't exist on he Mac side, but the transition could be painful an possibly expensive.

12 core Mac Pro / 2x Mac Pro 8-core ATI5770 / ATI4870
MacBookPro i7 2.66Ghz

Old 05-17-2012, 10:57 PM   #19
Venkman
Don't cross the streams

portfolio
Peter Venkman
Frederick, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by kromekat
The thing that puts me off the most (other than Windows itself tbh) is realistically, I'd need to move all my production software to the PC - it would of course open up some possibilities for using any software that still doesn't exist on he Mac side, but the transition could be painful an possibly expensive.

We use Macs at work. Adobe lets me install the Creative Suite on one mac at home and one at work since I can't use them both simultaneously. IIRC, the adobe suite will not run on one mac and one PC. If it did, I'd have no reason to hope for a new Mac Pro!

Last edited by Venkman : 05-17-2012 at 11:21 PM. Reason: * disclaimer - posted after many mojitos. Spelling errors may occur.

Old 05-18-2012, 10:09 AM   #20
EricM
Expert
Eric Marodon

Quote:
the adobe suite will not run on one mac and one PC

I think it does now with CS6 and their Creative Cloud thing.

Last edited by EricM : 05-18-2012 at 10:12 AM.

Old 05-18-2012, 04:39 PM   #21
JoeHerman
PRO
portfolio
Joseph Herman
USA

Quote:

It's pretty much equivalent if you ask me. There are folders and a place to save your stuff and a search function to find it later. What else do you need?

Old 05-18-2012, 05:05 PM   #22
shoqman
Frequenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeHerman
It's pretty much equivalent if you ask me. There are folders and a place to save your stuff and a search function to find it later. What else do you need?

In windows, navigate to a folder, let's say on a network, that is full of uncompressed Quicktime movies. Now quickly pop them up to check them, let's say 20 or 30 of them to find the right version of a shot or whatever. Let me know how that goes because on the Mac, select a file, preview pops up to the right correctly, I hit the space bar and a full res version pops up and plays through smooth as butter. I can go through the 20-30 movies fluidly, find the shot, mark it, encode to H264 in a matter of less than a minute.

Seriously, try this in Windows. Train wreck.

Win 8 does nothing to assist either. I was very hopeful, but beta shows no improvement here at all. Part of this is because Quicktime on Windows is old and Apple hasn't updated it in forever, but Quicktime is still the standard (on every project I have worked, and I have worked on some fairly big ones) so it kind of doesn't matter why the experience sucks in Windows, it still sucks.

Not to mention viruses and malware. Maybe they will increase for the Mac, but I have 28 years of never having had to worry about viruses/malware/crapware/bloatware.

I could absolutely go on, (absurdly smooth multitasking while rendering full bore in the background anyone?) but I hope you get the point.

-shoqman

Old 05-18-2012, 05:13 PM   #23
JoeHerman
PRO
portfolio
Joseph Herman
USA

Good points there. However, I actually switched from the Mac before Apple embraced the Intel chip because I found that After Effects on Windows was faster.

Adobe CS Apps as well as C4D I find to run exceptionally smoothly.

Regarding Quicktime, I do my best to avoid it (although I do use it at times) I usually render out everything as image sequences or h.264 for previews.

In the end, I suppose it's a matter of preference. Whatever feels right (otherwise I suppose we'd all be driving the same car or wearing the same clothes).

Cheers.

Old 05-18-2012, 07:23 PM   #24
shoqman
Frequenter

Yeah, the apps themselves always work very well in Windows, usually better than on the Mac. It's just the everything else that gets me. :(

-shoqman

Old 10-26-2012, 02:41 PM   #25
GMG

portfolio
Gavin McGinty
Friend/Peer
BELFAST, United Kingdom

I'm in the market for a substantial new system...

I'm a sole freelancer and will be paying for it with my own money.. so want to keeps costs to a minimum...

Obviously would love to go all out and buy a 16 core z820, but how realistic is that? 6k or something..

hunting ebay and everywhere for any kind of bargain... Either one of the following... z820, z800, z620 or z600.

Want at least duel 6 core (24 threads) prolly only going to be 2MHz? Or I guess I'd go something like duel 4 core (16 threads) at 3+ MHz...

Open to the idea of buying something basic and manually upgrading... Is there anywhere else other that ebay or anything I should be looking?

Making way with a cutom i7 build I made 2 years ago. (i7 920, 2.6 MHz - 12gb - FX3700)

Any info / advice much appreciated.

Last edited by GMG : 10-26-2012 at 04:19 PM.

Old 10-26-2012, 04:17 PM   #26
Venkman
Don't cross the streams

portfolio
Peter Venkman
Frederick, USA

Quote:
Yeah, the apps themselves always work very well in Windows, usually better than on the Mac. It's just the everything else that gets me. :(

-shoqman

My time machine backup on my prev gen quad core iMac recently died. Since time machine gave me an estimate of 68,000 days to rebuild, Apple help suggested I clear out my indexing of my hard drive, let it reindex, then rebuilt time machine.

The re-indexing is estimated to take another 3 weeks, the time machine rebuild is saying 400 days now. It's trying to back up 800 GB of data at mere megabytes per hour over Firewire 800.

Apple is on my naughty list this week. If I have to get a 3rd party solution just to have my backups working in a reasonable manner, man I'll be pissed. "It just works", but when it doesn't, it's a bloody nightmare.

Old 10-26-2012, 04:39 PM   #27
ThePriest
Bad Ass

portfolio
Stuart Townsend
Environment artist
Berkeley, USA

@GMG

You'll be very happy if you invest with a 16 core build, it's been a game changer for me and a very worthwhile investment. The whole system cost around $8000 (5000) and I assembled it myself with a little help at the end (extra $100). Despite a few minor issues with the motherboard and the case malfunctioning, I'm still very pleased that I went this route.

I cut a few corners, settling for the $400 cheaper 2.7ghz 8 core processor. Which I assumed might hurt me in the long run, but the benchmarks put it in at only 0.8 behind the 3.1ghz variety. I also opted for non ECC memory, all 96gb of it is standard DDR 3 Corsair memory. Another decision I was told would hurt my chances at a healthy system, but I haven't seen any consequences for this choice so far.

Here's some pics of the build; Link

Old 10-27-2012, 08:57 PM   #28
LucentDreams
lover of gophers

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Kai Pedersen
Lighting Lead
Double Negative
Vancouver, Canada

Glad I'm not the only crazy guy to have a CosmoII case. Although admittedly your using it better by having a dual socket in there. I opted for overclockability. Is that the evga4GB gtx670? if it is I'd be interested in comparing our overall benchmarks since our specs look to be very similar. although, being a single core, I could only do 64GB or ram.

btw, you can remove that entire HD cage on the side so that the large fan has a less obstructed airflow into your box.

Old 10-28-2012, 01:41 AM   #29
ThePriest
Bad Ass

portfolio
Stuart Townsend
Environment artist
Berkeley, USA

I love the case, but it has caused me some trouble. It was listed as an E=ATX case, but it was a real tight squeeze. I needed to make a modification to the height because the liquid coolers wouldn't fit. Then the front side fan controller died within a week and although it's been replaced, I haven't yet made the repair. Cable management is beautiful though, cleanest rig I ever built.

The GTX 670 is the 4gb version. I've noticed that it's a considerable amount better than the GTX 580 with 1.5gb and it destroys the GTX 570 which I have in a 6 core rig.

Appreciate the advice on the HD Cage, I'm planning on adding 6 drives in there, as soon as they arrive. But they probably don't need their own dedicated fans.

Last edited by ThePriest : 10-28-2012 at 01:45 AM.

Old 10-30-2012, 05:59 AM   #30
LucentDreams
lover of gophers

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Kai Pedersen
Lighting Lead
Double Negative
Vancouver, Canada

Yes disappointed on the height as well I have an h100 I wanted in push pull but one half is push pull and the other half is pull because my mb has a heatsink that's to close to fit the 4rth fan

Thread Closed share thread