The new HP Z820 and Cinema 4D

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 05 May 2012   #1
The new HP Z820 and Cinema 4D

I thought I would share this review of the new HP Z820 Workstation that I made. I've been running Cinema 4D on it and its been crunching through the renders. In the review, I also posted some CineBench Spec. The review is on nycppnews.com

It's got 2 liquid cooled eight core (total of 16 cores) E5 Xeon processors, an NVIDIA Quadro 6000 GPU, SSD RAID, up to 512 GB of RAM and built in USB 3.0. The machine is also built like a tank.

This is also the setup I used to do the iPi motion capture test. Let me know what you think.

Last edited by JoeHerman : 05 May 2012 at 02:45 PM.

Old 05 May 2012   #2
What was the price tag on this bad boy?

Old 05 May 2012   #3
last time I checked HP prices was with the z800 but knowing how much the new CPU and the graphics card run for I'm guessing roughly 15k but maybe a little less, and that'd be with an appropriate (1GB per core) amount of memory, if you do the proposed 512gb of memory I'd say add on a good 10+k just in ram cost alone.

Not sure why such a system deserves a review, but a review without a single mention of price is pretty stupid imo, especially when your comparing it to something like a mac pro which would (can't believe I'm saying this) be a fraction of the cost.

Old 05 May 2012   #4
I'm a Mac/OSX guy, but I confess with the horrific lack of updates or info on when or if there will be another Mac Pro upgrade or replacement, I checked these machines out a week or two back, and to now see the CB scores, and the general build quality of the machine, I think that if we don't get a new Mac with the E5 chips in soon, I might just have to have my main workstation for Cinema switch to Windows on one of these.

12 core Mac Pro / 2x Mac Pro 8-core ATI5770 / ATI4870
MacBookPro i7 2.66Ghz

Old 05 May 2012   #5
Yea don't get me wrong the HP workstations are great, just that the specific model which is their latest greatest highest end is just not logical. You can build several of the lowerend versions of the Z820 or Z800 for the same price. These HP's sure run quiet even when fan cooled

Old 05 May 2012   #6
Can't find this for sale on the HP site. They only have the 2 x 8 core 2.0ghz. Anyone have a link to this machine?

HP's site is a disaster.

Old 05 May 2012   #7
Hi. You probably don't need to get a Quadro 6000 since those are about four grand just for the GPU. You might not want to get SSDs either and I think that it's good to know you can put in 512 GB, but let's face it, not many of us would do that. 32 is enough.

In any case, the cost of the system in the video (with the Quadro 6000, 32GB RAM, 3 SSDs, 16 core E5 Sandy Bridge liquid cooled Xeons, is, after a 27% discount that HP is offering, $11,450 (plus tax). Subtract two grand from that to put in a Quadro 5000 and another grand and a half for a Quadro 4000.

That's a good price and a better deal than a Mac Pro which can't touch that amount of power. If you get the most tricked out Mac Pro you can get (which will only have 6 core Westmeres and a 1 GB Radeon graphics card) the price will be more or less the same if not more! Plus, there is no USB 3.0 on a Mac Pro. That's a big deal (in my opinion).

Kromekat, it seems like lots of people are thinking the same thing as you and switching over. This is a great machine if you're thinking about it. As Kai said, it's whisper quiet too (especially with the SSDs).

Last edited by JoeHerman : 05 May 2012 at 01:00 AM.

Old 05 May 2012   #8
Originally Posted by MikeFix: Can't find this for sale on the HP site. They only have the 2 x 8 core 2.0ghz. Anyone have a link to this machine?

HP's site is a disaster.

I wouldn't bother with the site. Just call their sales line. It's easier.

Old 05 May 2012   #9
How on earth do you get 512 GB of ram on that motherboard?
Wouldn't that require 64 slots (64x8gb)?

Old 05 May 2012   #10
As tasty as the new series of e5 sandy bridges are, I keep reminding myself that intel does already have a 10-core Xeon out, the E7-8800 series. Just happens that supermicro has a quad socket LGA 1567 barebone system that just popped up on newegg:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...N82E16816101654

Just one thing holding me back: The 10-core E7's are about $4K+ a piece I'd love to see the devestation that a quad socket, 40 core/80 thread machine would reap on C4D.

I wish that some of the 6-core E5's supported dual CPU setups, their performance is at about the level of the X5680, but priced like the X5650.

Behance
Vimeo
Flickr

Old 05 May 2012   #11
Originally Posted by ThePriest: How on earth do you get 512 GB of ram on that motherboard?
Wouldn't that require 64 slots (64x8gb)?

16 slots of 32GB sticks, very rare and VERY expensive! 128 is probably not too much of a stretch though.

Have been considering a dual CPU system, just wish more of the software was multi-threaded to really take advantage. Still 32 buckets must be fun to watch :P

cheers
brasc

Old 05 May 2012   #12
I've been obsessing over getting more cores for years, right up until I saw the distributed render function in the new VRay that could be with us soon. Simply hook up 10 x Quad Ivy Bridge machines with 32GB RAM each and watch them all work in harmony in a single editor view.

That's your 80 buckets (much better than 32) and you can do it for around $8000.

Old 05 May 2012   #13
Originally Posted by JoeHerman: Kromekat, it seems like lots of people are thinking the same thing as you and switching over. This is a great machine if you're thinking about it. As Kai said, it's whisper quiet too (especially with the SSDs).

Quite! - I think if you were one of those who'd bought a 2010 Mac Pro then there's little issue yet, but for anyone who is still running an older machine (2008 8 core here), then the lack of any updated hardware for 2 years now, makes the current Mac a very false economy since its already very much out of date and overpriced.

I think Apple have already lost a fair few pro customers by now, and the longer they delay with any info let alone a physical update, the more will defect! - even if they bring out a new pro Mac soon, I personally will still be gauging it against the Windows machines now, and I never thought I'd say that! :]

The CB scores of this E5 Xeon are almost 4x mine, which lets face it, is a big deal in the real world!!

MacBookPro i7 2.66Ghz

Old 05 May 2012   #14
Why not just see what's inside and buy all the parts separate for a fraction of the cost? This ain't a mac where you don't have that option.

Even if you can't put all the pieces together yourself (which is very easy now), you probably got a friend/relative who can do it for you.

Old 05 May 2012   #15
Yes considered that also - Im sure I know someone who could - I have no desire to do so myself.

MacBookPro i7 2.66Ghz

Thread Closed share thread