My new reel

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

05 May 2012
My new reel

Hi there, I've just finished a new showreel. Well, not really finished. I'd love to get some feedback on it before I release into the wild. So if you're inclined, please take a wander over to Will's Reel and have a look.

Every shot involved C4D in one way or another and often Vray as well. There's a full shot list as well as a little explanation of where this all came from.

I've included a few shots from a recent documentary project as before and after sequences and also a few test shots. I'm not convinced they stand up. But I'd appreciate your thoughts on any aspects of the reel. As we all do, I've left quite a bit out. So if something in the current cut isn't solid, I'll happily swap it out.

Thanks for checking it out.

Will

@WillMacNeil_VFX

05 May 2012
Excellent work. What was your workflow for the earth (space) shots if you don't mind me asking?

05 May 2012
Great work Will. Well done

Cheers
Justin

Twitter: JustinBates_VFX
#C4DVFX

05 May 2012
Very nice work!

Cheers,
Brian

05 May 2012
Wow. Spectacular work.

05 May 2012
Very nice work, Will! Congrats!

-Josh

05 May 2012
very nice work Will!
some of the scenes i know already;-)

cheers
Stefan
http://rhino.io

05 May 2012
Thanks very much, everyone!

Joel - the space shots use two planes with wrap deformers. One for the ground and sea, the other for the clouds. The material on the ground uses layers to apply different colour, bump and spec to the land and sea. The cloud material uses a very high res cloud texture with displacement and SSS. All rendered in Vray with GI and comped in AE with a depth pass for atmosphere.

Cheers!

Will

@WillMacNeil_VFX

05 May 2012
Some really nice work there!

Anders

05 May 2012
great reel, some inspiring work there
Richard

05 May 2012
i hope u dont mind, but i find its looking mediocre

05 May 2012
Some really nice stuff, but I find the opening earth shots a bit out of place in a motion graphics reel.

They are comparatively rather long shots, but don't exhibit "motion graphics" gimmicks to me (no typo work, no fancy transformation, no abstract concepts...), whithout knowing more, it's more of VFX shot.The UK is not as convincing as some other shots either.

Split in sections in the middle of the reel or by the end, where start to appear more various works, it would be a better fit. They also tend to drag a bit the beginning of the reel.

05 May 2012
Well wasn't that pretty. Nice nicely done.
Wondering what the render times were like with all those volumetrics and detail on those nature shots. Did you use a render farm?

05 May 2012
Charming, and love the edit combined with the music. Only thing I'd switch is the scene from My name (or what was called again?) around at 0:54, there seems to be something going on when the person moves to the left. I especially loved the environmental shots, puts Vue to shame

Thread Closed share thread