Realtime Medical Visualizer: 3D OCT of VMT

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

04 April 2012
Realtime Medical Visualizer: 3D OCT of VMT

his Video shows a real-time rendering of an optical coherence tomography (OCT) data set of a patient with vitreo-macular traction . The data was aquired on a CZM Cirrus HD-OCT 4000 and rendered with a custom plug-in written for MAXON CINEMA 4D. The rendering was done I realtime on a GPU (OpenGL) rendered at 1280 x720p. Although the data was acquired on a Cirrus, this rendering program is platform independent and can be achieved with equal quality on a OCT from other companies (for example Optovue, Topcon, Heidelberg, etc...)

Video

04 April 2012
Wow,

it looks awesome ! You said, this look is achieved through the plugin.
Is that point data, or is this polygonal data ? Or voxel ? Btw. it reminds
me on the scene of Avatar in the control bridge. Where J.Sully show´s
the marines how to get to the aliens.

04 April 2012
Originally Posted by DesignAmyte: Wow,

it looks awesome ! You said, this look is achieved through the plugin.
Is that point data, or is this polygonal data ? Or voxel ? Btw. it reminds
me on the scene of Avatar in the control bridge. Where J.Sully show´s
the marines how to get to the aliens.

Thanks...actually it is a form of voxel data. One can use this for any medical data including MRI and CT. This way you can create things like skeletons of real humas without modeling. I will post some more examples soon

04 April 2012
Hey,

Very nice animation! I am quite curious, since I work in the field of medical image processing / visualization, but more on the software development / resaerch side of things. But now and then I use Cinema for illustrations in my job. And I was always envious for the Lightwave folks with their Volumedic Plugin (http://www.volumedic.com/). At the moment I can only use meshes exported from our Software.
Is this an in house solution or might it be a product? Can it read DICOM data? And is the volume visualization realtime only or does it also render in the final rendering?
I think a volume rendering shader would be great, not only for scientific visualization. If other shaders can be used as input, it would also be great for effects work.

04 April 2012
Originally Posted by christianS: Hey,

Very nice animation! I am quite curious, since I work in the field of medical image processing / visualization, but more on the software development / resaerch side of things. But now and then I use Cinema for illustrations in my job. And I was always envious for the Lightwave folks with their Volumedic Plugin (http://www.volumedic.com/). At the moment I can only use meshes exported from our Software.
Is this an in house solution or might it be a product? Can it read DICOM data? And is the volume visualization realtime only or does it also render in the final rendering?
I think a volume rendering shader would be great, not only for scientific visualization. If other shaders can be used as input, it would also be great for effects work.

Thanks...I love the volumedic plugin as well, but I prefer using cinema 4d for most of my work. Also as the data from OCTs is quite different from CT/MRI data I decided to redo it myself inside C4D so that I can tweak things. At this time it is not a plugin but I am working on getting it to become one.
here is an example of it being used on a ct of a foot:

Video

04 April 2012
Although the system is not inside the final rendering I created a way of compositing in real footage into the 3D medical rendering system: her is a head lying on my dinning room table:

Video:

04 April 2012
I really like all your examples. The restriction to the openGL-rendering dampens my enthusiasm a bit however. But I expected that. You would almost always need two implementations.

Looking forward to more details!

04 April 2012
Originally Posted by christianS: I really like all your examples. The restriction to the openGL-rendering dampens my enthusiasm a bit however. But I expected that. You would almost always need two implementations.

Looking forward to more details!

I have already built a system that takes this type of data and meshes it. I will post some of those experiments this week.

04 April 2012
Originally Posted by cglittenberg: his Video shows a real-time rendering of an optical coherence tomography (OCT) data set ...

Really interesting work; I'm eager to hear more about it. Are you considering making any of the software you are developing available to the C4D community at large?

Thanks!

Nick

04 April 2012
Originally Posted by NWoolridge: Really interesting work; I'm eager to hear more about it. Are you considering making any of the software you are developing available to the C4D community at large?

Thanks!

Nick

Yes that is the idea. I dont know how long that will take though.

04 April 2012
Key,

thx for the info. Impressive other examples from you !

cheers
desmyte

08 August 2012
This looks great. I have been trying to convert DICOM data to an .obj file so that Autodesk Maya is able to read it. Is there a way to achieve that?

08 August 2012
Originally Posted by The_FubaR: This looks great. I have been trying to convert DICOM data to an .obj file so that Autodesk Maya is able to read it. Is there a way to achieve that?

Yes, you can use a freeware programm called osirix to convert any dicom into a mesh. I am currently also working on a way of doing it directly inside C4d.

08 August 2012
Originally Posted by cglittenberg: Yes, you can use a freeware programm called osirix to convert any dicom into a mesh. I am currently also working on a way of doing it directly inside C4d.

I understand that Osirix is a MacOS program only. Is there an alternative for Windows?

08 August 2012
Originally Posted by The_FubaR: I understand that Osirix is a MacOS program only. Is there an alternative for Windows?

not that i know. This is why I am making my own.

Thread Closed share thread