Rebirth of CSTOOLS at NAB 2012

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

Old 08 August 2013   #46
Hey, sorry to prod, but was curious about any updates?

Old 08 August 2013   #47
Originally Posted by jackthegiantkiller: Hey, sorry to prod, but was curious about any updates?

OH, Had a baby which threw me off BUT. Below I will show some screen grabs of progress with some descriptions of new stuff since I showed it last year:

This shows the cam list and Shot settings. As well as the ability to trim some of the algorithms (had to blur one I'm testing) that are going on to auto time your animation based on waypoint positions , rotations, and POIs. When I originally showed at NAB in 2012, all of the waypoints were equally spaced. Now there are many new algorithms that space them for you to start with. Things like how much direction change is needed can add weight (simulates sense of mass), if you are asking a camera to do a heavy rotation while not travelling very far it will give more time to the cam so it doesn't whip pan. It also takes into account how far waypoints are from each other relative to the whole animation. Every 3 waypoints creates a triangle which gives AC the area of the triangle and it makes adjustments in timings based on how much every group of 3 needs for distance, change of direction etc. All of this is automatic when you set the waypoints, but it gives you auto-keyframed timings that are close-to ideal for what you want. Then you will be allowed to do whatever you want to it from there if you want it changed or customized.

Here is the Waypoints tab. There is a Waypoints tab because as Autocam moves from waypoint to waypoint, all of their parameters are copied into these parameters that you can tweak from Autocam itself. Any changes you make are set on the waypoint objects. You'll see since I demoed it, there are now full stops, full eases, as well as a way to set the POI depth without having to leave Autocam. It creates a "Pivot Plane" which is a clipping plane only while you are adjusting the slider so you know where your POI is in the world from your render camera. You also see a "Create Mode" menu. (As opposed to Run Mode). You can now use AutoCam itself as a "brush" to populate your scene with waypoints. No more creating cams and then dropping them into a list. When in create mode. You set AC where you want it in the world, set it's name, pivot depth, any lens changes you want or stop oe ease settings and hit the create button and it left a new waypoint with those settings there and added it to the waypoint list. That way everything you do CAN be done within Autocam for the most artistic and natural experience of creating and tweaking.

Here you see the normalized velocity graph above the Main Timebar. The Velocity graph is normalized so that the most intense velocity change sets the width of the "waveform". This is a nice guide so that you can adjust the tick marks just below it and see how it affects the result. The time bar is now interactive, you can grab those tick marks and move them. If you go left or right they compress and expand their neighbors proportionally relative relationships are maintained as much as possible. Whether it compresses only after itself or before or after is a pulldown option. If you drag UP or DOWN on a tick mark it adds or takes away weight to that waypoint. Which makes it's neighbors repel away from it or attract to it proportionally. The auto-engine makes camera timing for you pretty damn perfect to begin with so when it's time to give the user the ability to override it, it's designed to do the least damage as possible to the relationships set up by the engine.

GUI section thus far. The top two things (drawing of cam and target path as well as the Velocity Graph) are marked as SLow, because every cycle it precomputes every single frame in your shot in advance to draw a very accurate plot on screen of where your camera is in space at every frame and a normalized velocity graph for the whole shot. So for example if your shot is 800 frames long, turning them on will need 800 extra cycles of calculation for every C4D frame. So you should use them for analytics then keep them off. I can't just draw a spline to screen because Autocam doesn't really use splines. It is a cocktail of many functions creating the path, add on top of that your ability to add stops, eases, etc, means that it needs to be plotted frame by frame. But the good part is when you add eases and all that you see it in the dot spacings of the camera path plot.

Cam Path Plot:

As mentioned above , this is a temporary clipping plane when you are moving the Pivot Depth so without leaving Autocam, you can set it to reach out and set the POI to touch something.

Old 08 August 2013   #48
Originally Posted by C.Smith: OH, Had a baby which threw me off BUT. Below I will show some screen grabs of progress with some descriptions of new stuff since I showed it last year:

This shows the cam list and Shot settings. As well as the ability to trim some of the algorithms (had to blur one I'm testing) that are going on to auto time your animation based on waypoint positions , rotations, and POIs. When I originally showed at NAB in 2012, all of the waypoints were equally spaced. Now there are many new algorithms that space them for you to start with. Things like how much direction change is needed can add weight (simulates sense of mass), if you are asking a camera to do a heavy rotation while not travelling very far it will give more time to the cam so it doesn't whip pan. It also takes into account how far waypoints are from each other relative to the whole animation. Every 3 waypoints creates a triangle which gives AC the area of the triangle and it makes adjustments in timings based on how much every group of 3 needs for distance, change of direction etc. All of this is automatic when you set the waypoints, but it gives you auto-keyframed timings that are close-to ideal for what you want. Then you will be allowed to do whatever you want to it from there if you want it changed or customized.

Here is the Waypoints tab. There is a Waypoints tab because as Autocam moves from waypoint to waypoint, all of their parameters are copied into these parameters that you can tweak from Autocam itself. Any changes you make are set on the waypoint objects. You'll see since I demoed it, there are now full stops, full eases, as well as a way to set the POI depth without having to leave Autocam. It creates a "Pivot Plane" which is a clipping plane only while you are adjusting the slider so you know where your POI is in the world from your render camera. You also see a "Create Mode" menu. (As opposed to Run Mode). You can now use AutoCam itself as a "brush" to populate your scene with waypoints. No more creating cams and then dropping them into a list. When in create mode. You set AC where you want it in the world, set it's name, pivot depth, any lens changes you want or stop oe ease settings and hit the create button and it left a new waypoint with those settings there and added it to the waypoint list. That way everything you do CAN be done within Autocam for the most artistic and natural experience of creating and tweaking.

Here you see the normalized velocity graph above the Main Timebar. The Velocity graph is normalized so that the most intense velocity change sets the width of the "waveform". This is a nice guide so that you can adjust the tick marks just below it and see how it affects the result. The time bar is now interactive, you can grab those tick marks and move them. If you go left or right they compress and expand their neighbors proportionally relative relationships are maintained as much as possible. Whether it compresses only after itself or before or after is a pulldown option. If you drag UP or DOWN on a tick mark it adds or takes away weight to that waypoint. Which makes it's neighbors repel away from it or attract to it proportionally. The auto-engine makes camera timing for you pretty damn perfect to begin with so when it's time to give the user the ability to override it, it's designed to do the least damage as possible to the relationships set up by the engine.

GUI section thus far. The top two things (drawing of cam and target path as well as the Velocity Graph) are marked as SLow, because every cycle it precomputes every single frame in your shot in advance to draw a very accurate plot on screen of where your camera is in space at every frame and a normalized velocity graph for the whole shot. So for example if your shot is 800 frames long, turning them on will need 800 extra cycles of calculation for every C4D frame. So you should use them for analytics then keep them off. I can't just draw a spline to screen because Autocam doesn't really use splines. It is a cocktail of many functions creating the path, add on top of that your ability to add stops, eases, etc, means that it needs to be plotted frame by frame. But the good part is when you add eases and all that you see it in the dot spacings of the camera path plot.

Cam Path Plot:

As mentioned above , this is a temporary clipping plane when you are moving the Pivot Depth so without leaving Autocam, you can set it to reach out and set the POI to touch something.

Dude. My face is so waiting for that slap.
I'll even shave.

Old 08 August 2013   #49
Originally Posted by chi: Dude. My face is so waiting for that slap.
I'll even shave.

I may knock a dread or two off

Old 08 August 2013   #50
Looking forward to this!

Old 08 August 2013   #51
One word... wicked

Old 08 August 2013   #52
Hey Chris,

I know this baby-threw-me-off-thing
Same happened to me about three years ago.
By all what it means to have less time to be creative - it's also a golden time of joy

All the best

Serge

Old 08 August 2013   #53
Originally Posted by C.Smith: I may knock a dread or two off

I told Mike, if he can come up with a presentation, I'll let him select the side of meat.
These are horrible promises, but if they drive innovation...I'm there.

Old 08 August 2013   #54
Originally Posted by chi: I told Mike, if he can come up with a presentation, I'll let him select the side of meat.

As long as it's this one:

Old 08 August 2013   #55
Originally Posted by C.Smith: As long as it's this one:

That...is...a...doozy, only if we get to cook it after...and no wind-up.

Old 08 August 2013   #56
Originally Posted by C.Smith: OH, Had a baby which threw me off BUT. Below I will show some screen grabs of progress with some descriptions of new stuff since I showed it last year:

Cam Path Plot:

Hey Chris,
sooooo neeeeeed this !!! Awesome work mate .

Old 06 June 2014   #57
Sorry to prod again, but was curious if there were any updates?

Old 10 October 2014   #58
So basically every time I have a need for MoCam I come back in here to post, so here I am again months later. Anything? Is this project dead? Am I forced to use Maxon's rather lacking attempt to recreate this with the morph camera?

Whoops, just noticed Chris hasn't posted on CGTalk since this forum. I'll mosey on then...

Last edited by jackthegiantkiller : 10 October 2014 at 05:10 PM.

Old 10 October 2014   #59
Yeah, this has been bumming me out too.

Old 10 October 2014   #60
Originally Posted by jackthegiantkiller: So basically every time I have a need for MoCam I come back in here to post, so here I am again months later. Anything? Is this project dead? Am I forced to use Maxon's rather lacking attempt to recreate this with the morph camera?...

Nope - not if you try Lennart's awesome and inexplicably free SteadyCamPro. I wish this was installed with every Cinema version - whenever I demo it to people who don't know it, their eyes widen and their jaws droop. Perhaps the sheer amount of options and controls are a bit overwhelming at first, but even at its simplest it's better by a mile than what Maxon has.

If you're interested, start with SteadyGlide - bung two or three cameras in a scene, then animate the move parameter. It's done via integer numbers - so '1' is the first camera, '2' is the second; rather than the fiddly percentages in the Morph Camera.

Change the focal lengths of each camera until the SteadyCam path does what you want. You can smooth the moves yourself, or use the in-built smoothing to control how abruptly the cameras stop. The cameras you're moving between can be still or animated. That's it. There's a ton more if you want it, shaking, damping etc but just this is usually more than enough.

Then move onto the full SteadyCamPro and you have the gold standard in camera rigs, IMO.

reply share thread