reply share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 04-15-2012, 09:57 PM   #16
c4d-jack
Expert

portfolio
Frank Willeke
Software Developer
Berlin, Germany

Send a message via ICQ to c4d-jack Send a message via AIM to c4d-jack Send a message via Yahoo to c4d-jack
Finally, some competition for ScoobyCamTools?
That sure makes life more interesting

Old 04-15-2012, 11:59 PM   #17
C.Smith
Know-it-All

Chris Smith
Santa Monica, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by c4d-jack
Finally, some competition for ScoobyCamTools?

mmmm, I hope not. I looked at Scooby a few years ago as well as Lennart's Steady Cam Pro. I think Scooby is for a very specific niche use like someone is walking and shooting at the same time. Like a tourists's POV type thing (unless it has functionality I was missing) AutoCam will mostly be a much more evolved version of my own MoCam which is used by a lot of Motion Graphics pros. And MoCam was loosely based on Lennart's "SteadyGlide". Which I asked Lennart kindly if I could borrow a few ideas back in '07 when I made it. In the interim I also tried a spline based camera system but that has major limitations and doesn't really help much (especially using Cubic and Akima as they both have major drawbacks) so I abandoned that idea. So this is a multi-use system that can yield many different looks from absolutely smooth through "quirky" motions for motion graphics. It also constantly adjusts itself based on all the other cam positions and timings and velocities by interpolating between a bunch of different interpolations so it changes paths and directions based on speed into and out of waypoints. But it's all automatic to the user so they just get natural results no matter what choices they make. The toughest part was coding all new interpolation types that aren't used in C4D at all. Math articles in Wiki are ridiculous how complex they try and make things

EDIT: I just noticed you're the Scooby dude so I checked the latest Scooby features in your link. The physical Camera may sound the closest, but your site won't show the tour (at least in the Chrome browser). It only shows a blank window over the picture of your camcorder. If I click on the window it brings up a save box with an .flv file.

Last edited by C.Smith : 04-16-2012 at 12:07 AM.

Old 04-16-2012, 12:47 AM   #18
c4d-jack
Expert

portfolio
Frank Willeke
Software Developer
Berlin, Germany

Send a message via ICQ to c4d-jack Send a message via AIM to c4d-jack Send a message via Yahoo to c4d-jack
Strange, must be a Chrome bug. At least in Firefox, Opera, IE and Safari, the site works fine. And yes, I'm the Scooby dude ;-)

However, Scooby was originally written for the human camera motion (because we needed that for a very specific project), and has greatly improved in the last few years (from a simple noise in version 1 to a physically simulated rig in version 5). I also spent some time on research, especially in the sector of psychology of perception.

But it's not limited to shaky cameras. It offers a workflow solution that covers the standard tasks (moving on one or more splines, facing one or more targets) and gives the artist great control while keeping it simple. Plus the human motion and other dynamic effects, as well as a morphing solution and it allows for the camera animation to be layered on top of each other to build the final result. Development took place in partnership with several studios who gave valuable input.

Therefore, I'm not afraid for my sales. It's always good for the artist if there's a variety of solutions to choose from.

A question: What were the drawbacks you experienced with the Cubic and Akima splines? I always found those to be the most suitable choice for smooth camera animation, while B-Spline and Bezier always create hard turns (as I pointed out in this thread ).

Cheers,
Frank

Last edited by c4d-jack : 04-16-2012 at 12:49 AM.

Old 04-16-2012, 01:55 AM   #19
C.Smith
Know-it-All

Chris Smith
Santa Monica, USA

AH. Well, I'm still not sure if I'm going to charge for my new tools anyways. CSTools have always been free. That being said, my old tools I worked on for a few days to a few weeks at most whereas this new one It's a year and counting. So we'll see. I've had as many "Hey you're an idiot, you should charge money for your stuff" as much as "thanks for the free stuff" comments.

Cubic has the limitations of most notably of getting knot loops, having flattened vectors at it's points and generally just an odd motion to me. Akima has the same problems but with a harsher curve. In my first gen version of this cam when I was still trying to make it with C4D internal parts, I had blended between cubic, akima, linear, and bezier splines with a separate controller blending between all 4 types in real time depending on user input as well as the space between them and the speed the camera would travel. It was a total pain to deal with and somewhat limiting. I wish it was as easy as making it ride splines as I could have built the tool in a week but alas it wasn't to be that easy. Also, Maxon changed the SplineData on me radically killing all the ease functions I had between waypoints. After pulling my hair out dealing with the internal splines, and the new Spline Data, I decided to dump it all, start from scratch and now I have internal classes for a range of various interpolation types such as monotonic hermite splines, reparameterized bezier splines for time remapping, catmull-rom splines, quternion slerps, etc. Bunch of stuff all coded from scratch (well after suffering through months of figuring out Wiki pages). It uses so little of the C4D SDK or any Python specific functions at this point it could probably be cross-converted to any app or language in a few days. Probably it's mostly using a ton of BaseDraw commands for a custom GUI. The version I'm showing Tuesday is the version from a few months ago as it's stable. My current version has a lot of experimental secondary motions, like springyness, "spunkiness", lag, turbulence, etc, etc Trying to balance what is good extra features versus adding too much crap.

Old 04-18-2012, 10:32 AM   #20
Ash007
PRO
portfolio
Ash
Germany

I missed the presentation, is there any chance to see it somewhere? Or I have to wait for the upload here http://www.livestream.com/cineversity/folder

Old 04-18-2012, 06:23 PM   #21
C.Smith
Know-it-All

Chris Smith
Santa Monica, USA

If it doesn't show on c4dlive.com later, I'm sure it will be on Cineversity soon.

Old 04-18-2012, 06:41 PM   #22
flingster
cinema fan

flingster.
Sheffield, United Kingdom

good luck with these, they sound interesting Chris

Henry Moore

Old 04-19-2012, 02:15 PM   #23
Seinfeld
PRO
portfolio
Jeff
Rotterdam, Netherlands

Good presentation and awesome product.

I really liked the system you got going.
The time bar, time budget, weight and auto adjustments/smoothing seems to make it really easy to manage and the warp/stall/pivot gives you much extra control over the final look.

Can't wait till this is released .

Old 04-19-2012, 02:45 PM   #24
Venkman
Don't cross the streams

portfolio
Peter Venkman
Frederick, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.Smith
AH. Well, I'm still not sure if I'm going to charge for my new tools anyways. CSTools have always been free. That being said, my old tools I worked on for a few days to a few weeks at most whereas this new one It's a year and counting. So we'll see. I've had as many "Hey you're an idiot, you should charge money for your stuff" as much as "thanks for the free stuff" comments.

If you give them away for free, I have no problem contributing to your "personal beer fund" as a thank you. I've learned so much from the people on these forums and I can't travel around the world to buy them a beer in person.

Old 04-19-2012, 05:19 PM   #25
C.Smith
Know-it-All

Chris Smith
Santa Monica, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seinfeld
Good presentation and awesome product.

I really liked the system you got going.
The time bar, time budget, weight and auto adjustments/smoothing seems to make it really easy to manage and the warp/stall/pivot gives you much extra control over the final look.

Can't wait till this is released .

Thanks, Jeff! Glad to see all that translated through the presentation.

Old 05-04-2012, 03:53 AM   #26
C.Smith
Know-it-All

Chris Smith
Santa Monica, USA

Video now up

My presentation showing "Autocam" is now up:

NAB Presentation

Old 05-04-2012, 08:11 AM   #27
alij
Veteran
ali jaber
Mass Media
beirut, Lebanon

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.Smith
My presentation showing "Autocam" is now up:

NAB Presentation

any other link on youtube or vimeo?? my connection is very slow for cineversity...

Old 05-04-2012, 09:00 AM   #28
brasco
Polygone

portfolio
Jon Bosley
United Kingdom

Chris, this really looks to be a fantastic addition to the camera tools I use, is there a solid release date or "done when it's done"?

cheers
brasc

edit: @Ali: the shows are also on vimeo: C4DLive NAB 2012

Last edited by brasco : 05-04-2012 at 09:04 AM.

Old 05-04-2012, 02:38 PM   #29
C.Smith
Know-it-All

Chris Smith
Santa Monica, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by brasco
Chris, this really looks to be a fantastic addition to the camera tools I use, is there a solid release date or "done when it's done"?

cheers
brasc

edit: @Ali: the shows are also on vimeo: C4DLive NAB 2012

I'm afraid it's 'done when it's done'

Old 05-04-2012, 03:45 PM   #30
brasco
Polygone

portfolio
Jon Bosley
United Kingdom

I can be patient! Good luck

cheers