Cinema4D generated sci-fi film 'Cycle'

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 04 April 2012   #1
Cinema4D generated sci-fi film 'Cycle'

Hi!

I've completed my film called 'Cycle'. It is more of an arthouse science fiction film. It's certainly not a mainstream Hollywood movie. But I did my best and I made it with Cinema4D so I thought you might be interested.
'Cycle' got an official selection badge from the 2012 Sci-fi London festival which is held between the 1st and the 7th of May in London. More info about the festival here: www.sci-fi-london.com

Here is the homepage with a detailed FAQ and the trailer of 'Cycle': cycle-themovie.com
Here is the Facebook page: facebook.com/cyclethemovie.com

Ps.: It's a CG forum and the films CG is not five star blockbuster quality since I basically completed the film alone. Let me know if you like it though.

Old 04 April 2012   #2
Wow! it looks AWESOME! Congrats on completing it!
M dot Strange dot CoM

Old 04 April 2012   #3
Hi Zoltan,

great stuff, keep it coming!

How long is the movie?

It is mocap animation, right? Want to tell about the process?

cheers

Old 04 April 2012   #4
Great work!

Old 04 April 2012   #5
Congrats! Liked the 2001 references, slitscan, Bowman jogging and the access tube.

Old 04 April 2012   #6
The film is about 78 minutes long.

Yes, the full-body animation is mocap. Everything else (faces, hands, etc.) is hand animated. There is a lot about the process in the FAQ section of the films homepage. Let's just say it was not made the good old fashioned way how a typical animation movie is made today. The resources were quite low to do that. Also after the first version of Cycle I watched the film a couple of times and decided to redo a lot of work. I even decided to rewrite part of the screenplay because I had new ideas. This was a not so typical creative decision. I did this a couple of times, so the final version is about v4.0 or so.
This type of feedback from the already finished materials made the film better (in my humble opinion of course) however it's not something I would ever do with a fixed budget project.

Originally Posted by zeden: Hi Zoltan,

great stuff, keep it coming!

How long is the movie?

It is mocap animation, right? Want to tell about the process?

cheers

Old 04 April 2012   #7
Really amazing work, especial for being mostly solo on this. Loved the homages to 2001 as well. Great to see C4D really being used for filmmaking on this level. Bravo, keep it up.

Old 04 April 2012   #8
Originally Posted by hundredthirtyseven: The film is about 78 minutes long.

Yes, the full-body animation is mocap. Everything else (faces, hands, etc.) is hand animated. There is a lot about the process in the FAQ section of the films homepage. Let's just say it was not made the good old fashioned way how a typical animation movie is made today. The resources were quite low to do that. Also after the first version of Cycle I watched the film a couple of times and decided to redo a lot of work. I even decided to rewrite part of the screenplay because I had new ideas. This was a not so typical creative decision. I did this a couple of times, so the final version is about v4.0 or so.
This type of feedback from the already finished materials made the film better (in my humble opinion of course) however it's not something I would ever do with a fixed budget project.

78 minutes? Cool!
I hope we can see it one day.

Old 04 April 2012   #9
This looks stunning, really looking forward to seeing the full feature
The mocap translation to the rigs is so beautifully smooth, great work.

cheers
brasc

Old 04 April 2012   #10
Amazing!!
I would love to watch the full movie.

Bucket Watcher

Old 05 May 2012   #11
Just to give you an update on this, I just got the news that 'Cycle' will be featured at the 34th Moscow Film Festivals non-competition official selection. The Moscow Festival is considered an A list festival so this actually is really great news for 'Cycle'.

Old 05 May 2012   #12
Looks good mate, i look forward to seeing the whole film.

How did you record the mo-cap?

Old 05 May 2012   #13
It does look awesome, some exceptionally beatiful and "true" shots there.

Old 05 May 2012   #14
The mocap was recorded with a 12 camera Opti-track system which was at the time the most affordable mocap system. It only had a 3m by 3m active space and there are shots in the film where the characters move about a mile or so within one shot without actual cuts so we had to cut corners everywhere. Lots of sequences were recorded with two motion artists moving on the one and only running machine we had.

Old 05 May 2012   #15
The motions are very nice. I like the white corridor and lightspeed fx. Reminds me of Stanley Kubricks film Space Odyssey 2001.

Thread Closed share thread