STP file convertor for Mac?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 03 March 2012   #1
STP file convertor for Mac?

Hi all. I hope someone can help.

I've been supplied a file from a client in STP format. Does anyone know of a way of converting it so Cinema can read it? I already have SolidWorks eDrawings which I thought would work but it doesn't recognise the format at all.

Any clues or anyone willing to convert it for me? Thanks in advance.

Old 03 March 2012   #2
I'll run it through Moi for you if you like. Gives great results. PM me

Old 03 March 2012   #3
MOI for Mac. Download the currently free MAC Beta.

Old 03 March 2012   #4
Look like LoopCoorp got you covered on this one

You can download a free viewer here: http://www.ida-step.net/download

Won't convert the files, but I use it check files to see if it's worth paying/getting someone else to convert it.

Svend

Old 03 March 2012   #5
Thanks all for the replies. I downloaded the Mac Beta of Moi after a recommendation from LoopCorp so I'll be checking that out for sure. He was also very kind to convert the file for me. I owe him!

Old 03 March 2012   #6
Another option if you have modo, is CADLoader plugin for modo. It uses the Parasolid engine with the basic package but the enhanced package adds STEP. It is using a quad based engine to give good topology too.

Couple that with 601s new topology toolset it could be a good addition.

If you don't have modo, then of course it's an expensive route from nothing.

Side note, I wasn't aware Mac version of MoI supported STEP. True?

Old 03 March 2012   #7
Thanks for the heads up on MOI for MAC, I did not think that would ever happen

Old 03 March 2012   #8
Originally Posted by helluvapixel: Another option if you have modo, is CADLoader plugin for modo. It uses the Parasolid engine with the basic package but the enhanced package adds STEP. It is using a quad based engine to give good topology too.

I really want to see some actual geometry exported from CADLoader. It's a hell of an expensive plugin (costs more than the host app!) but if it gave a mesh that could immediately be edited as a SubD cage it would be a no-brainer. The mesh from Moi is beautifully clean but the vertices don't meet the way you'd need them to for further subdivision and smoothing. The CADLoader demo looks like they import CAD data and immediately go to work doing further typical SubD operations on the mesh.

Old 03 March 2012   #9
I don't think the mesh from a nurbs model with complicated geometry would ever work in a hypernurb object and it should not need to. You would have to remodel it to suit your needs. Nurb models usually consist of lots of patches of surfaces with a normal tag to make it look smooth.

Old 03 March 2012   #10
Originally Posted by marshalartist: I don't think the mesh from a nurbs model with complicated geometry would ever work in a hypernurb object and it should not need to. You would have to remodel it to suit your needs. Nurb models usually consist of lots of patches of surfaces with a normal tag to make it look smooth.

No, I know it would be too good to be true but if you look at the video here
http://www.luxology.com/store/CAD_L...modo/index.aspx
the mesh looks remarkably clean (though still not SubD clean).

It would be useful to have that functionality though. I have a job right now where I have been provided a CAD modelled bottle complete with complex extruded and filleted details. It will render beautifully as is but the main bottle surface needs a hammered effect which I will probably achieve via bump or normal maps. I would prefer to export a slightly coarser mesh and sculpt all the hammered dents then subdivide to smooth it.

Cheers
Rich
www.loopcorp.com

Old 03 March 2012   #11
Perhaps this free CAD program.

http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawi...title=Main_Page

Old 03 March 2012   #12
Maybe Modo works like Max where it can keep Nurbs files intact, it would be nice if C4D did this, but it doesn't. I would stick to a bump/normal map at the moment. I am enjoying MOI, it is a great addition to C4D modelling, I would love to have a hybrid of the two like inventor fusion.

Old 03 March 2012   #13
I use ViaCAD (http://www.punchcad.com/?gclid=COrn...CFYbe4AodXGtDXA) as a conversion tool. I don't use it for much other than that, but it does have some nice features. It's also not very high priced. I import STP files all the time and export them as VRML v2.0 and C4D opens them up just fine. Not free, but you get a nice CAD toolset as well.

Ryan

Old 03 March 2012   #14
Originally Posted by LoopCorp: I really want to see some actual geometry exported from CADLoader. It's a hell of an expensive plugin (costs more than the host app!)

I can say that the plugin does a pretty decent job. A bunch of us really pushed them hard in beta to get clean meshes and it seems to working pretty good for a 1.0 release.

I am pushing Luxology on price because I do agree. However, as they indicated on the product page they are licensing Siemens technology and that can't be cheap. I know even with PolyTrans there is a royalty for the Granite Pack which does the heavy lifting for Parasolid / STEP conversions.

The biggest value you get with CADLoader is that for Mac folks you get a good converter without investing into a CAD tool. You couple that with fact you can directly edit the mesh and you find yourself being able to add cuts / bevels to fine tune. The other aspect I really like with the tool is you can import the object as a CAD Item and then you can refine the mesh import on an object by object basis to give you the most control of matching mesh density to where you need.

Time will tell, perhaps next release will offer more and cost less.

Old 03 March 2012   #15
If you don't have good enough luck with Moi (we've had Moi shut down before it could finish some step files when we tried it), email me and I can help convert it/them. We have a PC converter that we've converted thousands of step files for our projects with pristine results. troyan@thedanse.com
HyperactiveVR
I reject your reality and substitute my own

Thread Closed share thread