Old 01-19-2012, 07:54 PM   #16
HolgerBiebrach
@Holgerbiebrach

portfolio
Holger Biebrach
Animator, TD
Freelancer
Hamburg, Germany

hahaha...I have been waiting for this. Great!
www.c4dStuff.com

HB_ModellingBundle

Old 01-20-2012, 01:09 AM   #17
LucentDreams
lover of gophers

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Kai Pedersen
Lighting Lead
Double Negative
Vancouver, Canada

yes my initial reaction was similar brian i released an xpresso preset for this years ago, but there's always been a priority problem and it's speed hasn't been great.

the one thing I would point out though is that all the shading examples are rather pointless as the shader effector will achieve all the same effects and actually render smoother since it isn't reliant on the vertices of the object. The displacement examples too, would be more efficient if you just put a white color shader into the displacement shader's shader slot and use the displacements falloff directly.

So I think the effector is a nice improvement to an already existing solution, but I think a lot of the uses are not encouraging the best methodologies.

I'm more interested in what the fit and surface effectors in his plugin menu will do. This one isn't particularly exciting outside of a speed gain, and possibly the polygon selection, I'd have to think of practical uses for that over vertices.

Old 01-20-2012, 01:30 AM   #18
tapaul
Expert

portfolio
Paul Everett
Tools4D
Hessen, Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimC
This looks very useful, nice one Paul!

Q: There is a priority issue (one frame redraw lag) when it is used as a selection effector with Cloner, does moving the selection effector above the cloner fix this?

yes

there are lots of chicken/egg situations ,but they can all be resolved by putting the effectors in the right place.

Old 01-20-2012, 01:33 AM   #19
tapaul
Expert

portfolio
Paul Everett
Tools4D
Hessen, Germany

twitter

btw , i'm now a twitter victim.
@Tools4d

Old 01-20-2012, 08:18 AM   #20
typografschaft
Know-it-All
portfolio
Yader
Art Director, Motion Designer
Berlin, Germany

I am not sure if you scrubbed through the video rather than watching it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucentDreams
the one thing I would point out though is that all the shading examples are rather pointless as the shader effector will achieve all the same effects and actually render smoother since it isn't reliant on the vertices of the object.

The torus example:
You mean by disconnecting the polygons, loosing by that the smooth shading on the geometry, putting the torus into a fracture object, setting the Fracture Object to explode segments, having poor viewport performance and then using the Shader Effector?
Well you can do that, be my guest :-)

Quote:
The displacement examples too, would be more efficient if you just put a white color shader into the displacement shader's shader slot and use the displacements falloff directly.

The Light Emitter example:
The Displacement Falloff was used directly, the Selection Effector was used for colorizing the displacements on the plane (Vertex Map Shader). You can do the same with a Proximity Shader with no viewport feedback whatsoever. The Vertex Map gives this feedback. Which makes it very usable for artists.

Quote:
So I think the effector is a nice improvement to an already existing solution, but I think a lot of the uses are not encouraging the best methodologies.

Which one you are referring to? For example cloning on a changeable Polygon Selection is for me a better methodology than cloning on geometry and then using a Plain Effector in Visibility Mode. I made comparisons, using the Selection Effector is faster because you only generate clones where you want to in the first place, rather then generating a lot of them and then killing the unwanted ones. Of course you can make a Polygon Selection yourself, but having the ability to change it with a falloff improves flexibility and gives the ability to animate one attribute more. Also very welcomed by artists.

I find it good, when existing things are improved and made faster, because in production speed is king. I can live without new features for a while, when I see that the existing stuff is been taken care of. The overall feedback on the video seems to indicate the same.

Last edited by typografschaft : 01-20-2012 at 08:52 AM.

Old 01-26-2012, 06:58 AM   #21
tapaul
Expert

portfolio
Paul Everett
Tools4D
Hessen, Germany

Release

Additional Effectors Volume.1 has been released.
A set of 3 nifty new Effectors for Maxon's Mograph. At a bargain introductory price of just 29.
Check it out here..

follow me on twitter : Tools4D

Last edited by tapaul : 01-26-2012 at 07:01 AM.

Old 01-26-2012, 10:46 AM   #22
E2GO
PRO
portfolio
Egor Gostyshev
CG Artist
Vladivostok, Russia

Send a message via ICQ to E2GO
Great effectors set Paul! Just bought it. now waiting for an activation K

Last edited by E2GO : 01-26-2012 at 11:12 AM.

Old 01-26-2012, 08:10 PM   #23
Navstar
Expert

N Parker
Mograph Dude
Los%2BAngeles, United%2BStates

Wow! Those look amazing! I wouldn't be surprised if you got a phone call from Maxon very soon!

Old 01-26-2012, 08:49 PM   #24
LucentDreams
lover of gophers

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Kai Pedersen
Lighting Lead
Double Negative
Vancouver, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navstar
Wow! Those look amazing! I wouldn't be surprised if you got a phone call from Maxon very soon!

I doubt it, what would you expect them to say? Nice work on making effectors for the tool set you helped make when you previously worked for us?

Nice to see the other two effectors, especially the fit, my speculation as to what it would be for was pretty close. I don't have audio to hear if there's an explanation as to how the fit effector works in the video, but visually it's only using spheres, is it actually using the surface of the objects or the bounding box or a spherical radius? I guess I'm wondering how would it work with a really lumpy irregular shape, would it scale them only if their actual geometry would intersect?

Old 01-26-2012, 09:58 PM   #25
ThePriest
Bad Ass

portfolio
Stuart Townsend
Environment artist
Berkeley, USA

The fit effector looks very nifty.

How does it play with massive particle counts?

Old 01-26-2012, 10:35 PM   #26
Horganovski
Freelance Animator/Rigger

portfolio
Brian Horgan
Graphite9
Dublin, Ireland

That fit effector looks pretty cool.

As for massive particle counts.. I'd guess the same as massive counts of anything else in Cinema.. ie not great

Cheers,
Brian

Old 01-27-2012, 01:42 AM   #27
Jim-H
PRO
portfolio
James Hall
USA

Been trying to purchase the Effectors but keep getting an error. Anyone else having a problem purchasing from the US?

Old 01-27-2012, 01:52 AM   #28
LucentDreams
lover of gophers

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Kai Pedersen
Lighting Lead
Double Negative
Vancouver, Canada

Most effectors are pretty comparable in speed, remember it's still using standard mograph elements so using render instances will speed things up a bit with massive counts but it's not really the effectors that are the main speed hits.

Old 01-27-2012, 03:23 AM   #29
tapaul
Expert

portfolio
Paul Everett
Tools4D
Hessen, Germany

The fit Effector uses a spherical boundry. It is not possible to reference back to the individual object that the particle refers to(chicken & egg) from Modata.This is a limitation of mograph. If this is resolved in the future, you can be sure I will update accoringly.Having said that though, if another effector scales a particle this is taken into considerationby the algorithm.
The algorithm I use is very efficient, and is about as good as it gets. it uses mimimum pair matching to calculte the intersections and applicable scaling factors in just one pass.So its good for lots of particles. I will demo this with a Polyfx vid and scene, as the cloner is the real bottlneck in most cases and not the effector pipeline.

"Most effectors are pretty comparable in speed"
not really true. it all depends on what the effector has to do and how much of said effecting you are doing.Add the end of the day your calculating somethign for every particle + your prepass.If your just shuffling a few particles around in cloner it won't matter much what you do.But if you start moving 50k polys with somethig like polyfx, you'll soon see whats fast and whats not

I'd put the Fit effector in midfeild as it still has to compare every particle to every particle, to one degree or another. so it has some heavy precompute to do. The good thing is, that despite the heavy calculation, its still prtty nippy and I will squeeze another xx% out of it in an update.

cheers
Paul

Old 01-27-2012, 04:14 AM   #30
TimC
Luxx

Tim Clapham
Australia

Looking forward to putting these through their paces. Thanks Paul.
Professional MoGraph & VFX Training

@helloluxx
facebook

Thread Closed share thread