Playing with Mavelous Designer and Cinema - Some Cloth Tests

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 05 May 2012   #46
Just a headsup:

Marvelous designer has just released a Mac version!

http://www.marvelousdesigner.com/

odo

Old 05 May 2012   #47
Yes, I got their email Yesterday. I installed the Mac version today and it seems to work just fine. Great news!

Old 05 May 2012   #48
Hallo Fabian,

Thank you very much for your research and share.

Also for your very nice Baking to PLA Script & it works very well also for Mograph stuff.

Cheers

Diego

Old 05 May 2012   #49
Looks really nice, especially the multi-layers of cloth stacked!
Great job!

Old 10 October 2012   #50
Thumbs up

Excellent work on the workflow tutorial. At first I had some problems with getting a good MDD file but after updating riptide it was all cool. I had some results by following your steps and it opens up a whole new way of doing clothing. I hope MD will write a host plugin for the main 3d apps this will really speed up things, but for now it's you way.

Old 03 March 2013   #51
fabianR, "I uploaded a tutorial at vimeo. Here's the link." (http://vimeo.com/36096200)

But you didn't showed any of the important stuff like,

"I set everything to IK and duplicated all IK targets and pole vectors. For the girl using the advanced biped rig this were 12 targets, four each for the upper limbs, the lower limbs and the spine. I then inserted the copied targets at the appropriate place in the mocap skeleton. Last I constrained the original targets to the copies using priorities in the "Animation" range. In the end I manually animated the toe wiggle sliders and fixed gimbal lock issues caused by passing global rotation values."

"This is polygonal hair imported from DAZ Studio. Basically the animation comes from a Wiggle Deformer using a gradient in a vertex map to make the tips move and the roots stay locked. It was simple to generate the vertex map thanks to the UV layout. Since the Wiggle Deformer doesn't respect collisions, I used a Collision Deformer after the Wiggle Deformer. I baked everything in a point cache. The Collision Deformer caused some strands to go wild - one that I have overseen is still there in the second girl video - so I simply deleted those. I also used a smooth deformer set to relax on the point cached result, baking the result into a second point cache."

That what's really interesting is missing...:(

Old 03 March 2013   #52
Hi Vintorix,

I'm not sure I understand what you're complaing about. The purpose of the tutorial was, as requested by several users, to show the workflow between Cinema and Marvelous Designer. That's what it does and, looking at the feedback I got, it seems to do well enough.

The stuff you are interested in judging by what you quoted is more about how to use MoCap data on a DAZ character in Cinema. That's an entirely different thing. If you want information on that topic, you could ask for it, although there isn't much more to it then what you quoted already.

Old 03 March 2013   #53
"although there isn't much more to it then what you quoted already"'

The things I quoted (from your thread) is way over my head, I don't understand a word of it.
Om the other hand the things you showed in the video is beginners stuff. This illustrate a common problem IMO, no one are interested to explain the intermediate stuff. But don't worry, I'll manage.

Old 03 March 2013   #54
Originally Posted by vintorix: "although there isn't much more to it then what you quoted already"'

The things I quoted (from your thread) is way over my head, I don't understand a word of it.
Om the other hand the things you showed in the video is beginners stuff. This illustrate a common problem IMO, no one are interested to explain the intermediate stuff. But don't worry, I'll manage.

What is your Problem...is this your way to say Thank you??!
I cant believe it.

The Tutorial of Fabian helped me a lot. And I am not a Beginner. the other things Fabian mentioned for me is totally understandable and a good information.
www.c4dStuff.com

HB_ModellingBundle

Old 03 March 2013   #55
Holger Biebrach, "is this your way to say Thank you??!"

So I didn't thank properly? Then I take the opportunity to thank YOU for your marvelous Retopology Scripts for Cinema4D that has helped me a lot and which I have used a hundred times already..you are the proverbial exemption from the rule.

"The Tutorial of Fabian helped me a lot"- so this Marvelous Designer examples must have been new stuff for you, but it is very basic. I don't want to appear as a complainer - I always manage one way or other. Mocap data and retargeting is much better handled in Motionbuilder anyway. Maybe that is the reason nobody wants to take the time to explain it properly.

Old 03 March 2013   #56
Originally Posted by vintorix:

Your posts seem to indicate a certain sense of entitlement. It is almost as you believe that fabianR owes you a tutorial that has been geared towards your level.

Maybe your question came off as snarky because English is not a native tongue... but the fact is that you didn't pay for this tutorial... fabianR owes you nothing.

He has shown a willingness to help, but I think you will find people will be more inclined to help you if you are more gracious in your requests.

Old 03 March 2013   #57
Originally Posted by vintorix: Holger Biebrach, "is this your way to say Thank you??!"

So I didn't thank properly? Then I take the opportunity to thank YOU for your marvelous Retopology Scripts for Cinema4D that has helped me a lot and which I have used a hundred times already..you are the proverbial exemption from the rule.

"The Tutorial of Fabian helped me a lot"- so this Marvelous Designer examples must have been new stuff for you, but it is very basic. I don't want to appear as a complainer - I always manage one way or other. Mocap data and retargeting is much better handled in Motionbuilder anyway. Maybe that is the reason nobody wants to take the time to explain it properly.

Thank you for the Thank you. But you must know that people like Fabian and also me who are giving things and Knowledge away for free get unmotivated because of people like you complaining about things they get for free. Next time you will not get anything because Fabian just doesnt want to anymore.
I have these moments frequently when I ask myself: why do I do that? Giving my time (which is more valuable since my son is born.) to people who complain about what i am giving them. I must be crazy.

If you are missing something in a tutorial you can ask for this Information with a nice tone.
Than you get an answer maybe.
www.c4dStuff.com

HB_ModellingBundle

Old 03 March 2013   #58
It was not my intention to attack Fabian in any way but to take up a general problem. Fabian is neither better or worse than any other of the professionals. And, when I am as skilled as he I probably will behave in the same way. Who knows? To explain, we must (even just for a short while) drop into die hard cynical mode. Bear with me.

1) The true professional like to pontificate over beginners and explains obvious things over and over, he have endless patience with the beginners. So the argument that he is too busy doesn't hold. By doing this he gets reputation for being a good and generous fellow.

2) He also like to drop hints of advanced stuff, (called name-dropping in another world) but always very sketchy so it is impossible to get head or tail of it for a beginner.
By doing this he gets reputation for being wise and knowledgeable.

But the sum of it all is that he hasn't given out an once of valuable/helpful stuff to anyone.

"I have these moments frequently when I ask myself: why do I do that?"
Holger, that which I said above does not hold true for you, you are one of the rare exemptions. And for that you should have all the credit in the World!

Old 03 March 2013   #59
I think what you say is not quite fair. There might a motivation for some people doing tutorials and free stuff to get reputation. But surly not only that. It is alway about having fun sharing stuff with people who know what you are talking about (being frustrated by the bored face of my wife who is not understanding anything I talk about I prefer to talk to a c4d forum ).
www.c4dStuff.com

HB_ModellingBundle

Old 03 March 2013   #60
It's kind of amazing to me how some people seem to feel that that working CG professionals are somehow compelled to help them and walk them through things with baby steps just because they were willing to share some of their knowledge freely.
Why do people feel entitled in this way? Would they walk into a mechanics workshop and say 'hey my car isn't working how it should, I don't want to pay you to fix it, but I'd like you to stop working for a while and teach me how to fix it' ?

I've experienced it myself just the other day, someone sent me a message pretty much demanding that I create a tutorial teaching them facial rigging. When I replied, apologizing that I don't have time to make such a tutorial right now since it's a pretty big subject and that I would recommend a book called Stop Staring (I included an Amazon link) their only response was to say 'yeah, I already have that book' and to start asking completely different questions on other subjects without a word of thanks.

The sarcastic part of my personality was very tempted to say 'ok, now you have the book.. have you tried reading it?' but I remained polite until I got tired of answering questions (over the course of several messages) that could really have been resolved with 5 minutes of Google searching. Like some of the other posters here I'm happy to share knowledge when I can, and yes I enjoy it. But some people seem to have little gratitude for this and can be quite rude and persistent about demanding more.

/endGrumble

ps. Congratulations on your son Holger!

Cheers,
Brian

Last edited by Horganovski : 03 March 2013 at 09:09 PM.

Thread Closed share thread