Playing with Mavelous Designer and Cinema - Some Cloth Tests

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 02 February 2012   #31
This is a life saver, just spent a few days in agony with Cloth in C4D. Cool work and very kind of you to share the info about the workflow. I have 2 questions about Marvelous Designer:

1) Is there any way how to add wind to the simulation?

2) Do you need to build the cloth from scratch or can you import any .obj file and transform it to cloth?

Thank you for your time and can't wait to see what you come up with next.

Last edited by andrejvojtas : 02 February 2012 at 01:04 PM.

Old 02 February 2012   #32
Originally Posted by andrejvojtas: This is a life saver, just spent a few days in agony with Cloth in C4D. Cool work and very kind of you to share the info about the workflow. I have 2 questions about Marvelous Designer:

1) Is there any way how to add wind to the simulation?

2) Do you need to build the cloth from scratch or can you import any .obj file and transform it to cloth?

Thank you for your time and can't wait to see what you come up with next.

Within Marvelous Designer, there is a wind parameter which does a good job - but that's it.

In my version, you cannot bring in your own cloth to convert. Marvelous Designer uses a kind of triangulated web mesh of which it has a level-of-detail adjuster on. I think this is why it needs to set up its own panels for cloth. Mind you, designing is so easy and fun.

Old 02 February 2012   #33
Can someone post a wireframe of the traingulated mesh? Just curious to see if it is a basic triangulated mesh or somehow has loops that flow differently than quads converted to triangles.

fabian can you tell us how many polygons (triangles) are in the coat mesh please?

Old 02 February 2012   #34

This is a wire of the dress that loads up at the start. I have shown each panel of the dress with different Particle Distance - which is their way of describing subdivision resolution, I guess.

On the left is PD of 20 ( which is the default and excellent for realtime previews ) and on the right is a PD of 50 which gives a more detailed look at the expense of speed.

Old 02 February 2012   #35
Thank you. That is a lot different than i was expecting. It reminds me of the "puppet wrap" in photoshop.

Could probably get the same results using a polyreducer deformer in c4d. I wonder if the randomness and the high number of the polygons is the reason for the good sim in MV.

Old 02 February 2012   #36
Originally Posted by danb: Thank you. That is a lot different than i was expecting. It reminds me of the "puppet wrap" in photoshop.

Could probably get the same results using a polyreducer deformer in c4d. I wonder if the randomness and the high number of the polygons is the reason for the good sim in MV.

I think so. Also, You can up res and down res the Particle Distance on the fly - essentially subdividing in non destructive way. I find that it tends to evenly spread out the mesh rather than simply divide up existing triangles. It puts me in mind of the mesh you get in Sculptris.

Old 02 February 2012   #37
Originally Posted by danb: fabian can you tell us how many polygons (triangles) are in the coat mesh please?

Here's a screenshot of the cloth meshes:

Old 02 February 2012   #38
Originally Posted by grrinc: Within Marvelous Designer, there is a wind parameter which does a good job - but that's it.

In my version, you cannot bring in your own cloth to convert. ... Mind you, designing is so easy and fun.

Thank you for your fast response. That's good news indeed, I am looking forward to design the cloths.

Old 02 February 2012   #39
Tutorial

I uploaded a tutorial at vimeo. Here's the link.

Old 02 February 2012   #40
Excellent fabianR. Well done and thanks very much. I'm really looking forward to getting stuck into this now. I'll post results as soon as I can.

Cheers for the script too.

Old 02 February 2012   #41
That's very kind of you, thank you for the video and the scripts.

Old 02 February 2012   #42
Thank you for the tutorial, Fabian. It looks like the 2 apps work really well together.

Jim

Old 02 February 2012   #43
Originally Posted by fabianR: I uploaded a tutorial at vimeo. Here's the link.

haha, funny char...
nice tut thanks

Old 02 February 2012   #44
By a strange co-incidence I had a look at Marvelous Designer this week as well and it looks amazing (even more so after seeing your post). It's a pity that is a little on the expensive side for me at the moment because it would have helped enormously with my current project.

But awesome job on the tutorial.

Old 02 February 2012   #45
Originally Posted by fabianR: I uploaded a tutorial at vimeo. Here's the link.

Thanks for this fabian! Great job...

Thread Closed share thread